Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 159

Thread: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

  1. #37
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    Hi, everyone. This will be a brief update again as I'm once again pretty beat for the day. I'll be back in the morning to add pictures to everything.

    Powers now is having low temperature readings (99 degrees as of last check), so they've been putting him near warmers to get him to a normal range. Still not eating (though they syringe-fed him a little), but they tell me the only way he'll drink water is through the water hose out back (which made me laugh a little because he's one of those dogs who chomps at water sprinklers). The doctor is supposed to call me tomorrow to discuss what we plan on doing next, as he's running on about a week with no real food intake. She's mentioning feeding tubes or quality of life decisions as the potential next fork in the road.

    Do any of you have any experiences with having to make these decisions? What are your rationales behind each scenario? I'll spend the morning doing more research, but for now I don't know a lot about tube-feeding at home and what costs and maintenance that entails. I don't want to give up on Powers, but I also want to make sure I'm doing this for his good over mine. I know this sounds pretty intense, but it's a real decision I'm having to consider in the near future. Thanks again, everyone.
    Oh gosh. Do they know why he's getting worse? Are the meds not doing anything? They can keep him hydrated via IV. I've never been in the situation, and I hate that you are going through this I'm a very emotional person & would do everything I could to save him. But I also understand the quality of life side. I would see what they recommend, possibly call around & seek 2nd opinions. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, other than keeping you both in my prayers. May God show you the correct path, praying for a breakthrough, and for Powers to make some progress. Poor sweet baby.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  2. Likes bullmama, Texas Carol liked this post
  3. #38
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    As far as I know, the meds are at least keeping him relatively comfortable. Each night I visit him he seems "okay," though you can still tell that something is on his mind and distracting him from being himself. He has been kept hydrated by them through IVs as well, thankfully.

    I haven't heard from the doctor yet today, but I'm just waiting on laundry to finish before I head over there to visit and discuss the situation further. I have a lot of questions ready for her regarding the tube process should I go with that, and then I hope to speak to Powers' main vet tomorrow to see what she thinks, as well. The emergency clinic has been good about updating her with progress, so I'll see if she has seen the new information and get her input. She is in love with Powers (she also has a Frenchie) and I've always felt comfortable with discussions with her. I'll keep you all posted with what happens. Thanks so much, once again.

    -powers-ray-jpg-_dsc2395-jpg-wp_20150925_21_29_19_pro-jpg-wp_20150926_22_14_32_pro-jpg

  4. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post
  5. #39
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)
    1041

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    I'm so sorry to hear this. You're doing everything you can for him and you're a great bulldog dad.

    Maybe soon he would be healthy enough to spend some nights at home and perhaps that would lift his spirits and encourage him to eat a bit? My Ruckus had pneumonia when he was a puppy and it was awful. It took weeks and weeks for him to fully recover. Bulldogs are tough, sending positive thoughts your way!

  6. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post
  7. #40
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    If only he knew how many people are praying for him to get through this.

    Be sure to let him know tonight

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  8. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
  9. #41
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    As far as I know, the meds are at least keeping him relatively comfortable. Each night I visit him he seems "okay," though you can still tell that something is on his mind and distracting him from being himself. He has been kept hydrated by them through IVs as well, thankfully.

    I haven't heard from the doctor yet today, but I'm just waiting on laundry to finish before I head over there to visit and discuss the situation further. I have a lot of questions ready for her regarding the tube process should I go with that, and then I hope to speak to Powers' main vet tomorrow to see what she thinks, as well. The emergency clinic has been good about updating her with progress, so I'll see if she has seen the new information and get her input. She is in love with Powers (she also has a Frenchie) and I've always felt comfortable with discussions with her. I'll keep you all posted with what happens. Thanks so much, once again.

    -powers-ray-jpg-_dsc2395-jpg-wp_20150925_21_29_19_pro-jpg-wp_20150926_22_14_32_pro-jpg

    Checking in on Powers.
    How is he doing?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  11. #42
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,844
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    1147

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    I'm very late to all of this, but I just want to send my love and support for you and sweet, beautiful Powers.

    You are an amazing dad, and Powers is blessed to have you. I look forward to updates on this sweet boy.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}



    IG: @bellatheenglishbully

  12. #43
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Hi, everyone.

    As of today, Powers still isn't eating. He has shown some mouth movement during my visits (licking his nose, small chewing motions), but only on a few occasions and never with food. The doctors are stressing that with him not eating for so long, I'm very close to needing to make a decision on what to do. Frankly, I'm not happy with either option because it sounds like I will lose him either way (tube or euthanizing). I asked the doctor last night during my visit what she thought about me taking him home once the pneumonia symptoms were finished and see if he may take to eating in a more comfortable setting (home). The only problem is, at home he will be removed from all of the IV medications he is currently on that have been keeping him afloat.

    I'm really not sure what to do right now. This is a decisive moment I am not prepared to have to make and I'm worried that my stalling isn't helping Powers' situation, either. Everything is a gamble right now and I'm just under a lot of stress.

  13. #44
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    Hi, everyone.

    As of today, Powers still isn't eating. He has shown some mouth movement during my visits (licking his nose, small chewing motions), but only on a few occasions and never with food. The doctors are stressing that with him not eating for so long, I'm very close to needing to make a decision on what to do. Frankly, I'm not happy with either option because it sounds like I will lose him either way (tube or euthanizing). I asked the doctor last night during my visit what she thought about me taking him home once the pneumonia symptoms were finished and see if he may take to eating in a more comfortable setting (home). The only problem is, at home he will be removed from all of the IV medications he is currently on that have been keeping him afloat.

    I'm really not sure what to do right now. This is a decisive moment I am not prepared to have to make and I'm worried that my stalling isn't helping Powers' situation, either. Everything is a gamble right now and I'm just under a lot of stress.
    What did the doc say in reference to taking him home? Have they tried wet canned food? The tube would at least give his body nutrient he needs to regain strength. He may not need it forever. Is that correct?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  14. #45
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    They've tried just about everything in the food aspect, from liquified to treats to syringe-feeding (in which he would often spit out most of it). The tube is a very big mixed bag and risk, given his condition. Along with the procedure being a risk in general, he is more susceptible to pneumonia and choking because of his restricted jaw movements. The main doctor predicts the tube may be a forever thing, and I'm still trying to find ways to justify that on a 6-month old puppy.

  15. #46
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    They've tried just about everything in the food aspect, from liquified to treats to syringe-feeding (in which he would often spit out most of it). The tube is a very big mixed bag and risk, given his condition. Along with the procedure being a risk in general, he is more susceptible to pneumonia and choking because of his restricted jaw movements. The main doctor predicts the tube may be a forever thing, and I'm still trying to find ways to justify that on a 6-month old puppy.
    Right, with his current condition, going through surgery is high risk. What did they say in terms of letting you take him home? How is he doing with the pneumonia? I hate that its come to this, did you consult your regular vet as well to see if she had any insight?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  16. #47
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    The primary doctor I've communicated with throughout his stay seemed fairly supportive of the idea, while the one staffing today is not very confident in that option. My vet is out today due to an emergency, so I haven't spoken with her yet.

    For the pneumonia, I think he's shaken off most of the symptoms, but the malnutrition is affecting him now. He's been running a low temperature for a couple of days.

  17. #48
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    The primary doctor I've communicated with throughout his stay seemed fairly supportive of the idea, while the one staffing today is not very confident in that option. My vet is out today due to an emergency, so I haven't spoken with her yet.

    For the pneumonia, I think he's shaken off most of the symptoms, but the malnutrition is affecting him now. He's been running a low temperature for a couple of days.
    Considering everything, if taking him home gives him any ounce of a chance, I'd take it. Maybe he will eat at home, if you hand feed him - anything, some boiled chicken, or something. What about pedialye? Will he drink?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •