Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 159

Thread: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

  1. #25
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Thank you for the support, everyone. I'm stressing about this a bit and your words of encouragement help.

    Jessica, yes, I think that name (Masticatory Muscle Myositis) sounds familiar. I'm going to start asking them to email me these discussions so I can better digest what's being told. And yes, I had the thought as I was leaving there last night that I should ask if I can give him his favorite blanket or at least something from home.

    I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks so much, once again.

  2. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
  3. #26
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    Thank you for the support, everyone. I'm stressing about this a bit and your words of encouragement help.

    Jessica, yes, I think that name (Masticatory Muscle Myositis) sounds familiar. I'm going to start asking them to email me these discussions so I can better digest what's being told. And yes, I had the thought as I was leaving there last night that I should ask if I can give him his favorite blanket or at least something from home.

    I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks so much, once again.
    Here's the most positive note, both of those issues, the infection and MMM are treatable when caught early. He will pull through this, visit him as much as you can because you being there helps them tremendously.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  5. #27
    Pet Sitter Mom of Tucker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    368
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)
    274

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Here's the most positive note, both of those issues, the infection and MMM are treatable when caught early. He will pull through this, visit him as much as you can because you being there helps them tremendously.
    Chip, Jessica is right. I faced a similar issue in June, and it was hard for me to be strong when I went to visit. However, I visited every opportunity I could. I was advised to be as positive as I could because he could tell when I was upset. It wasn't easy. I also brought him his favorite blanket from home. Sometimes they do not allow that, but they did for us.

    I pray that Powers gets better soon and they can make sure he is on the right antibiotic to treat his infection. He is a beautiful boy, and I know how attached we become to our bullies!


    Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

  6. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  7. #28
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    A little background about me. I'm a single "father" and raising a puppy from puppyhood is something I've never done before. I grew up in a family that had Labradors most of the time, and they were outside dogs. English Bulldogs have always been a favorite of mine, but it wasn't until years later that I finally got the chance to have one.

    I'd followed the breeder on Facebook for a while (a running friend got her bully from him and referred me), but I just liked to see the pictures month after month. The breeder I got Powers from posts pictures of the puppies he'll have available over the weekend, and it was this puppy's eyes that captivated me. I finally talked to the breeder and got information about him, the puppies, the whole package. I told him this was essentially an impulse call and I was primarily wanting information for the time being. I said I'd think over the big decision and get back to him later in the day. Later in the afternoon, I noticed this puppy was sold (he will mark in the comments as such). Not sure why I was doing it, I called him back and said that was the one I was looking at. He said the puppy sold about thirty minutes after our initial call. I asked him how often he had ever seen people back out of purchases, and he said that it was next to never in the years he has been in business that it has happened. At this point, I essentially had accepted that someone grabbed him before me, but I asked to be kept in mind in case lightning struck and the buyer backed out. I spoke with my close cousin about this and told her that if for some reason the guy backed out, that would be my sign that this was my puppy. This was on a Wednesday.

    Saturday comes along and I'm attending my cousin and her boyfriend's graduation. We're having celebratory lunch and my phone rings; it's the breeder. I let it go to voicemail since I'm with company and decide to look at it afterwards. It turns out, the breeder can't get a hold of the guy anymore. The buyer promises that he'll be over on Thursday to get the puppy, then never shows up. Calls back to him lead to a non-working voicemail, so the breeder then asks me what I'd like to do. Needless to say, my sign happened and I picked Powers up that Sunday. Since then, my life hasn't been the same. It's definitely been a test of patience through his growing months, but I've never had a puppy that I could call my own and I've grown so attached to him.

    ----

    So there's my introduction, now that I'm feeling a little better. I have no experience with bullies apart from years of research (which, of course, never prepares you for the real deal!), so your insight and words of encouragement have really helped pick up my day. I'll try and check in later tonight to let you all know how everything is going.

    One other question before I go: I made the mistake of not enrolling Powers in pet insurance right away (and now Murphy's Law has taken effect). Do you all have any insurance recommendations? Would any of them happen to cover this instance even if I'm just barely enrolled? The only one I've checked so far is the one provided through AKC, but I'd love to hear everyone's input. Thanks again, so much.

  8. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama, Cali Doll, bullmama liked this post
  9. #29
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    @fitchalcyone
    Chip-
    I'll tell you what, they are alot of work, and a breed of their own. They are nothing like a retriever or lab. They are much more high maintenance, HOWEVER I'm sure you've noticed this slowly on your own already, the love they have for us is unreal. Like no other breed I've ever owned. They are so loving, and loyal, but honestly they aren't for everyone because not everyone can handle the amount of time, work, love, care, they need; along with financially as well.

    While it hasn't been easy for you in the beginning rest assure it does get easier. He's still a pup, but will mature, and grow out of alot of the young spazing moments, or shark bite phase. My Tyson is now 9 yrs old and he is the most docile, loving, cuddle bug.

    Insurance wise: This is something that you have to personally decide on. Honestly, with a bulldog you will need some sort of fund. Insurance will not cover anything that's already going on, because they will consider it pre-existing, but its not a bad idea for future. I have heard good things about Trupanion, and wished I had gone with them. We are with VPI, and while they have covered a majority of Tyson's bills, with insurance you still have to pay at the time of service, then submit the bills to the insurance carrier. So we personally have a credit card on reserve that solely belongs to Tyson. We use that for all his needs, and then wait for the reimbursement and pay that towards the card.

    You will learn something new everyday with him, and I will tell you that you are doing an AMAZING job so far. You have researched enough to find us, and this forum is a wealth of knowledge. All together, we've probably been through it all, everything you can think of. We are here for you, and will help as much as we can. Powers was "meant" for you, that's just the way it goes. I know he's going to pull through this, he'll need you there to help him, push him, and care for him in his recovery.

    We're so happy you are here, and I will be checking in for updates!! Please give Powers a big hug from me & Tyson!

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  10. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
  11. #30
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Hi, everyone. I'm a little tired tonight so I'll just leave a brief update for now...

    I got a call from the doctor around 6 this evening. She told me that the radiologists reviewed his x-rays and came to the determination that what we're dealing with (along with the bronchopneumonia) is something called mandibular osteopathy. What's happening is Powers' lower jaw is continuing to develop bone beyond what should have been done by now. This may persist for months, there's no real projection that can be made. With that, they have put him on anti-inflammatories along with his pain meds to see if this encourages him to finally eat. We're at a wait-and-see situation for now; they've gone over some potential future actions with me, but I'd rather not go into them just yet because naturally I don't want to go those routes.

    Jessica, I'll come up with a better reply tomorrow to your advice and I really do appreciate the encouragement. A lot of information is sitting in today so I'm a little all over the place right now. I'm going to rest up shortly and then wake up with hopefully a clearer mind. I'll try to do a little research and see what the overall picture is looking like. More updates to come...

  12. Likes TyTysmom, schimpfy, 2BullyMama liked this post
  13. #31
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    So sorry this is happening to and the little guy. Just read about mandibular osteopathy and hopefully you have a mild case here and the growing stops soon. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way.
    I know it must be hard, but please tell the breeder so they don't use the same dogs again.

  14. Likes TyTysmom, schimpfy, 2BullyMama liked this post
  15. #32
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Relax, rest, and breathe easy. It's always a lot to take in, but I'm confident things will work out, he just needs to get past this patch. Once he's more stable, you could also consider getting a second opinion (from another doc) just to see if they agree on future treatment, etc. Like Riisi said hopefully his case is mild. Will continue praying for Powers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  16. #33
    Pooper scooper fitchalcyone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    36
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Hi, everyone. This will be a brief update again as I'm once again pretty beat for the day. I'll be back in the morning to add pictures to everything.

    Powers now is having low temperature readings (99 degrees as of last check), so they've been putting him near warmers to get him to a normal range. Still not eating (though they syringe-fed him a little), but they tell me the only way he'll drink water is through the water hose out back (which made me laugh a little because he's one of those dogs who chomps at water sprinklers). The doctor is supposed to call me tomorrow to discuss what we plan on doing next, as he's running on about a week with no real food intake. She's mentioning feeding tubes or quality of life decisions as the potential next fork in the road.

    Do any of you have any experiences with having to make these decisions? What are your rationales behind each scenario? I'll spend the morning doing more research, but for now I don't know a lot about tube-feeding at home and what costs and maintenance that entails. I don't want to give up on Powers, but I also want to make sure I'm doing this for his good over mine. I know this sounds pretty intense, but it's a real decision I'm having to consider in the near future. Thanks again, everyone.

  17. Likes schimpfy, 2BullyMama liked this post
  18. #34
    The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    schimpfy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vancouver British Columbia
    Posts
    1,070
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)
    261

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Wow not much that i can add but yes it is worth it
    My heart aches when i read this posting, sending more prayers and well wishes - fingers and paws crossed
    Huge hugs

  19. #35
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11533

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    @fitchalcyone
    Chip-
    I'll tell you what, they are alot of work, and a breed of their own. They are nothing like a retriever or lab. They are much more high maintenance, HOWEVER I'm sure you've noticed this slowly on your own already, the love they have for us is unreal. Like no other breed I've ever owned. They are so loving, and loyal, but honestly they aren't for everyone because not everyone can handle the amount of time, work, love, care, they need; along with financially as well.

    While it hasn't been easy for you in the beginning rest assure it does get easier. He's still a pup, but will mature, and grow out of alot of the young spazing moments, or shark bite phase. My Tyson is now 9 yrs old and he is the most docile, loving, cuddle bug.

    Insurance wise: This is something that you have to personally decide on. Honestly, with a bulldog you will need some sort of fund. Insurance will not cover anything that's already going on, because they will consider it pre-existing, but its not a bad idea for future. I have heard good things about Trupanion, and wished I had gone with them. We are with VPI, and while they have covered a majority of Tyson's bills, with insurance you still have to pay at the time of service, then submit the bills to the insurance carrier. So we personally have a credit card on reserve that solely belongs to Tyson. We use that for all his needs, and then wait for the reimbursement and pay that towards the card.

    You will learn something new everyday with him, and I will tell you that you are doing an AMAZING job so far. You have researched enough to find us, and this forum is a wealth of knowledge. All together, we've probably been through it all, everything you can think of. We are here for you, and will help as much as we can. Powers was "meant" for you, that's just the way it goes. I know he's going to pull through this, he'll need you there to help him, push him, and care for him in his recovery.

    We're so happy you are here, and I will be checking in for updates!! Please give Powers a big hug from me & Tyson!
    Perfection !!! Great post Jessica
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  20. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  21. #36
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11533

    Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    Hi, everyone. This will be a brief update again as I'm once again pretty beat for the day. I'll be back in the morning to add pictures to everything.

    Powers now is having low temperature readings (99 degrees as of last check), so they've been putting him near warmers to get him to a normal range. Still not eating (though they syringe-fed him a little), but they tell me the only way he'll drink water is through the water hose out back (which made me laugh a little because he's one of those dogs who chomps at water sprinklers). The doctor is supposed to call me tomorrow to discuss what we plan on doing next, as he's running on about a week with no real food intake. She's mentioning feeding tubes or quality of life decisions as the potential next fork in the road.

    Do any of you have any experiences with having to make these decisions? What are your rationales behind each scenario? I'll spend the morning doing more research, but for now I don't know a lot about tube-feeding at home and what costs and maintenance that entails. I don't want to give up on Powers, but I also want to make sure I'm doing this for his good over mine. I know this sounds pretty intense, but it's a real decision I'm having to consider in the near future. Thanks again, everyone.
    Sending lots pf love prayers and positive thoughts

    I have no experience with these issues and am sorry you and your baby are going through all this.
    @bullmama.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •