Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Some Advice Requested & Introduction

Please keep us posted, I really pray its nothing serious, but I would get him checked out for sure as soon as you can, I would not be waiting til Saturday. Praying for sweet Powers.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

2. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

vomiting and breathing issues are very serious. mine had aspiration/pneumonia and had the same symptoms.
    i would take him to a veterinary hospital and have them do chest x-rays for the lungs at least.

4. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I agree, the symptoms you are describing could be very serious. These guys are OK until their not. They go down hill very fast. My vote is regular vet first thing in the morning or emergency vet. Definitely do not wait until saturday. I'm sorry if I sound a bit alarmist to you but I have seen this too many time to count, thesee guys are quick to grab something they shouldnt. Especially toys and socks and underwear.
    My smooshy face boy!

6. Likes TyTysmom, bullmama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fitchalcyone View Post
    His vet appointment is on Saturday. He has vomited little bits of food that he's had, but nothing randomly. I forgot to mention that he's been going around with his mouth open a little as if he's breathing through it instead of his nose. When he eats or drinks it seems like it's harder for him to do than usual.

i would not wait.... till Saturday go to an ER or your see if you can get to your vet
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Chip and PowersPowers is Beautiful. I Pray he will be ok, please let us know about the x-ray. Sending Positive Thoughts for Precious Powers.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I would try feeding him Fromm or Canidae Dog Food, I feed all my dogs Fromm dry food and about 2 tablespoon of Canidae canned food, maybe switching his food from Bil Jac to Fromm would be beneficial to him. Fromm comes in a lot of different flavors, so does Canidae. I order this at PetFlow.com

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Hi, everyone. I know it's not exactly fitting that my first-ever post here is in the health forum, but I figured any intro is better than none. My name is Chip and I finally pulled the trigger on a English Bulldog puppy in May. I've wanted one for years and this one sort of fell into my hands (though that's an interesting, albeit long, story I'll save for another time). His name is Powers and he's currently 6.5 months old. I'll include a few pictures below; you'll probably see why he was my pick from the litter.

So, I'm here introducing myself in the health section because, frankly, Powers is sick. Since 9/13, he's been very out of it. On any given day, Powers is a very energetic puppy, loving to play with his toys, go outside and socialize, and hating bedtime. Up to this day, he has been using his day to sleep or cuddle with me. He doesn't eat very much at all but will go for the water regularly. He went to see his vet on 9/20 and she gave me antibiotics to address his fever and eyedrops for more eye discharge than usual. His antibiotics are a week's supply, and I return to the vet on Saturday for follow-up.

For you all experienced with bulldogs and their times of sickness, what signs should I generally be looking for to gauge how his recovery is going? His energy level hasn't really improved on day 4 of his meds, and I'm wondering if I should get him looked at before the follow-up on Saturday. He's been sick before (upper respiratory infection), but that lasted about a week and he returned to his bouncy self. I'm just getting a little worried and I hope I'm doing this whole "parenting" thing correctly. Thank you all in advance for your input.

Attachment 91391Attachment 91392Attachment 91393

Hi Chip - Checking in on Powers, how is he doing today? Did you end up taking him in?

My whole heart, Tyson.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN Chip! I just read this thread and I agree with everyone about getting him to the vet ASAP. None of my guys have had an obstruction thankfully, but they have eaten lots of things that could have caused one had they not passed through or been thrown up. I did have a boxer once who had a telescoped intestine. In addition to the symptoms you described, he was in pain, which I knew because he was trembling. They never knew what caused his intestine to kink up like it did. They had to do emergency surgery to fix it quickly.

I hope they find out what's wrong with Powers and get it treated right away so he's back to himself soon. Please keep us updated on his progress!

Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Powers
    Likes (Received)

Hi, everyone, and thank you for the welcomes and recommendations. Sorry that I've been silent for the past day or so, just been trying to catch up with everything myself (it's been pretty rough so far).

I ended up taking Powers to a reputable emergency clinic in the area on Wednesday night where they took him in to do blood work and x-rays. He stayed overnight so they could give him IV meds and continual care, especially since he wasn't eating at all and had a 105 degree fever. They've so far pegged bronchopneumonia and have sent some respiratory cultures to the lab to get more clarity on what we're dealing with. Apart from that, they don't see any obstructions, so thankfully it doesn't look like he's put anything in his mouth that he shouldn't have. He's still under their care and I visited him for a bit last night. He's been a handful these past few months, but it just feels weird not having him home.

I just got a call from the doctor this morning and she's concerned about some jaw pain he's been showing. I can't recall the name of the potential condition she mentioned, but she said something about the body's cells attacking themselves. Since being sick, he never had his mouth shut like normal, and he'd have it gaping just a bit. I assumed it was because he was breathing through his mouth, but maybe it's turning into something else. This may be tied to why he won't eat? The doctor says it may be a few things we're dealing wth here, after all. I'm sorry that my descriptions aren't the most technical or detailed, I'm in a bit of information overload at the moment and I get a little more anxious each time the next call doesn't remove a problem but adds one.

I'll come back with more updates as I get them. Thank you all for being such a great community.
    -wp_20150924_20_21_43_pro-jpg-wp_20150924_20_25_57_pro-jpg

13. Likes nycbullymama, 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh no.. poor baby. But i'm so glad you took him in. He's getting the care he needs now.

Those pics.. mine looked the same way with his IV's. Breaks my heart to see them like this. BUT- he'll be better in no time!

Please keep us updated - we're all praying for him.

15. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Hi, everyone, and thank you for the welcomes and recommendations. Sorry that I've been silent for the past day or so, just been trying to catch up with everything myself (it's been pretty rough so far).

I ended up taking Powers to a reputable emergency clinic in the area on Wednesday night where they took him in to do blood work and x-rays. He stayed overnight so they could give him IV meds and continual care, especially since he wasn't eating at all and had a 105 degree fever. They've so far pegged bronchopneumonia and have sent some respiratory cultures to the lab to get more clarity on what we're dealing with. Apart from that, they don't see any obstructions, so thankfully it doesn't look like he's put anything in his mouth that he shouldn't have. He's still under their care and I visited him for a bit last night. He's been a handful these past few months, but it just feels weird not having him home.

I just got a call from the doctor this morning and she's concerned about some jaw pain he's been showing. I can't recall the name of the potential condition she mentioned, but she said something about the body's cells attacking themselves. Since being sick, he never had his mouth shut like normal, and he'd have it gaping just a bit. I assumed it was because he was breathing through his mouth, but maybe it's turning into something else. This may be tied to why he won't eat? The doctor says it may be a few things we're dealing wth here, after all. I'm sorry that my descriptions aren't the most technical or detailed, I'm in a bit of information overload at the moment and I get a little more anxious each time the next call doesn't remove a problem but adds one.

I'll come back with more updates as I get them. Thank you all for being such a great community.

Poor sweet baby. I know the feeling, and I'm sorry he's sick. But, I am happy that they finally found the issue, and are working towards getting it resolved. Poor guy... I will continue to pray for him. See if they will allow you to take a worn t-shirt or one of his blankies or something so he has your scent with him. Thank you for the update, while its not the greatest, I have faith that he will pull through this. Thank God you took him in asap, bc those issues escalate quick, I am hoping & praying some strong antibiotics will kick it to the curb.

The jaw issues - is it Masticatory Muscle Myositis?

My whole heart, Tyson.

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So sorry he is still not well, but very happy you did not wait and took him to the ER. Sending positive thoughts to you all --- please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

19. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Remove Ads