Frogs & Bulldogs

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I found out this morning that my Bullys playing with a frog in the yard is not as cute as I thought!

Tucker found a frog in the grass, and watched it hop away from him. Sophie then noticed it and decided she wanted to play with it. I was watching the entire time, wondering what she would do. The next thing I knew, she began shaking her head and foaming at the mouth! I brought her back in the house and started watching her. She seemed to be okay, and then her right eye closed up! My 15 year old son Googled frogs and found out they are poisonous to dogs. He panicked and demanded I take Sophie to the vet. It was before 7 a.m., and the vet doesn't open until 8. Fortunately they have an answering service that got me in touch with the vet. I talked to him, and he told me she should be okay, that I could bring her in for a visit after they opened. Luckily, she is back to her usual state.

I won't let that happen again! It scared me, and I was in slow motion, not knowing what to do. Crazy girl! She is always into something!

:pouting: :eeeew: :halloween2:

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Thanks for the heads up did not know add one more to the leave it list. They really know how to find and get into so much stuff how? :(

Chunkster

Sep 13, 2015
Miami
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I was told by my vet, if you take a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, an have the dog chug it down. It will cause them to regurgitate the poison, our last bully past from playing with a toad.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great info, as I did not know this either. We have a giant bullfrog that lives in/by our pond! I'm glad Sophie is back to normal.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great info, as I did not know this either. We have a giant bullfrog that lives in/by our pond! I'm glad Sophie is back to normal.

Thank you! It was scary. She is a mess!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
frogs have this poisonous chemical on their skin that when threatened (as the dogs) wanted to agitate the frog, it doesn't know otherwise, will secrete this milklike poisonous substance.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
With all the Veggie gardening I do , I encourage the frogs and toads even have little houses for them in the garden i built , which also brings the snakes too . I have never seen the dogs go after them so far but I am glad to have this info with a pup coming home soon .
I am curious about the hydrogen peroxide what dosage would you give , not sure a whole bottle would be good for the dog or am I wrong there

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have had to induce vomiting twice in Winnie. The first time I saw her swallow a big leg off of a stuffy--couldn't get to her before she swallowed it. The second time was to bring up cherry seeds. Once they taste the hydrogen peroxide, you can't really get them to drink it--that stuff tastes terrible!! I soaked some bread with it and fed them the bread (had to do Jack too because I didn't know who ate them). I didn't really measure the amount I gave them. When they refused to eat more bread, I used one of those bulb things that you suck snot from babies' noses. Someone here said you could use a turkey baster, but I didn't have one. The vet would know the right amount--I'm guessing 1/4 cup would do it, but I don't really know.

i've always heard that toads/frogs would make dogs foam at the mouth--I didn't know they could die from the poison! I'm glad Sophie is okay!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
wow.. i didnt know this... glad to know we have frogs come around our pool all the time of course i dont let my dogs around the pool without me there (inground) but the frogs do go on other side of fence where they run if they are lucky enough to not end up in pool... i will be watching closer now.. thanks for info and glad she is better..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Cheli is our resident toad hunter... But we knew not to let him near frogs for this reason

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Well, crap. We have a crazy amount of frogs this year. Every day I see at least 5. Clyde thinks they're there for him to play with and sometimes kill and bring in the house for me to find later. They've been in his mouth but I don't think he's eaten any. Well, that's actually stupid to say. This morning he pooped a stick as big as my thumb and a rock. To say he may not have ate something is probably stupid. Haha The others sniff them but Clyde is the only one obsessed. I will watch him even closer now. It is worse than when my children were little. I was cleaning house one day and my 4 year old daughter was helping me. In the dog bed I found a dry and hard dead frog. So I tell sis to go get a paper towel and come here, so she does. Then I tell her there is a dead frog in Henry's bed, that Clyde brought it in and to go get it in the paper towel and throw it away. I never dreamed she would. She laughed so hard I don't know how she made it to the trash. That evening her dad was taking her to her biological mom and she tells daddy that I made her throw this frog away. He gives me this look like great, I'm gonna hear about this later with her mom. So as they are driving away she starts yelling for me and I run over to see what she wants and she tells me thanks for letting her pick the dead frog up and throw it away. It was so cute. Who knew that would have turned into a "thanks mom" moment.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
With all the Veggie gardening I do , I encourage the frogs and toads even have little houses for them in the garden i built , which also brings the snakes too . I have never seen the dogs go after them so far but I am glad to have this info with a pup coming home soon .
I am curious about the hydrogen peroxide what dosage would you give , not sure a whole bottle would be good for the dog or am I wrong there

I don't know that having her throw up would have helped her situation, as the substance she got from the frog was liquid, and probably soaked into her oral cavity. I have heard of using a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to get your dog to throw up an object or something solid. A tablespoon or so to start.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I don't know that having her throw up would have helped her situation, as the substance she got from the frog was liquid, and probably soaked into her oral cavity. I have heard of using a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to get your dog to throw up an object or something solid. A tablespoon or so to start.
Thanks Ginger

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie has just now thrown up her supper that she ate about 2 1/2 hours ago. She has been her usual self today, eating breakfast and lunch and keeping those down. I don't think it is related to the frog, unless she found it dead in the yard after supper. I just gave her a Ranitidine tablet, so I will keep watching her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.