Sep 17, 2015
Maine
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Good morning,

I am a new bulldog owner and new to this!! IMG_2703.JPG

We have a 10 month old bulldog named Zeus. I have started to notice hair loss spots on his sides and hips. Some are the smaller then a dime and some are the size of quarter. The vet didn't really know what it was, she did test to make sure that it was not ringworm. About 2 weeks ago we changed to a grain free food (Nature's Instinct) and turkey jerky treats trying to eliminate certain items. he is currently getting coconut oil to help counteract (hopefully) our yeast issues.

If anyone has similar issues or can help point me in the right direction that would be great!!!

I have attached a photo, not the best quality but thought it might help.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Could be staph. Are the areas that are missing hair falling off like little crusty scabs? I would try giving him a soothing oatmeal bath, if you just recently switched food, it may take just a bit for the body to get used to it. So hopefully with the food change over to a better food his spots will start growing back. Does he seem itchy? [MENTION=14812]TRB74[/MENTION]

OP
T

TRB74

Sep 17, 2015
Maine
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ok thank you. No he does not itch. They don't really feel scabby more just dry. I will give the oatmeal bath a try and see if that helps.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ok thank you. No he does not itch. They don't really feel scabby more just dry. I will give the oatmeal bath a try and see if that helps.

That's good. It they are not scabby patches falling off then prob. not staph. So more than likely it was allergic reaction to his prior food. Was he on a food that was not grain free prior? Sometimes its take a good month for the food to kick in, because the body needs to rid itself of the old. But the oatmeal bath is very soothing. Let it sit on him for as long as he'll allow. Keep us posted, the hair should grow back slowly. You can also try putting a small dab of Apple Cidar Vinegar in his water. That helps with yeast as well.

OP
T

TRB74

Sep 17, 2015
Maine
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Yes his previous food was not grain free, it was chicken and rice based from Canidea. Because of the yeast issues and itchyness we switched him to Nature's Instinct which is grain free has limited startches and no chicken. I am thinking it is Turkey based. If he is spots don't fill in we will have a spotted bulldog. haha

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes his previous food was not grain free, it was chicken and rice based from Canidea. Because of the yeast issues and itchyness we switched him to Nature's Instinct which is grain free has limited startches and no chicken. I am thinking it is Turkey based. If he is spots don't fill in we will have a spotted bulldog. haha

Oh yeah, food sounds like its the culprit. Bullies are not good with grains or chicken. Hopefully he won't be spotted too much longer :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It looks like a "secondary infection due to allergies." Those were my dermatologists exact words when Blue had something that looked very similar.

She put him on a two week course of antibiotics (have to find the name) and it grew back.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Beware of the Turkey jerky. There are still problems with many of those jerky products.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It looks like a "secondary infection due to allergies." Those were my dermatologists exact words when Blue had something that looked very similar.

She put him on a two week course of antibiotics (have to find the name) and it grew back.

Agree -- it almost looks like it could be staph infection

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agreed, staph is possible but it does also resemble ringworm. Both are due to a low immune system and / or allergies.

I would start giving an oil like salmon oil which benefits the skin and coat. Also a supplement like nuvet plus would certainly help his coat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.