Looking for some advice, my puppy has a tail pocket infection

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hello everyone! Unfortunately I don't have anyone else in my life who has an English bulldog and I am looking for some advice. I took my 5 and a half month pup Murray to the vet because he was dragging on his rear an awful lot and I was concerned about it, it turns out he has a tail pocket infection :( he has been on antibiotics and they gave me prescription wipes but he flips out when I clean it (which I do anyways) and it's not looking too much better, though he has stopped dragging on his rear significantly, anyway it's been about a day and doesn't look any better. Looking for advice from anyone who has been through this before! Thanks :) CC

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It takes more than a day, two, or three to get all that yeast and bacteria out.

One of mine got it badly after his "brother" kept licking him. It took over a week of cleaning twice a day to finally get it under control. We used mal-a-ket wipes.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thank you so much for replying!! My vet prescribed duoxo wipes and an antibiotic called simplicef. I'm hopeful he feels better soon! It's terrible when he's sick

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and welcome to EBN to you and Murray. Nycbullymama is right it takes longer than a day for an infection to clear up.
Most antibiotic prescriptions are taken for a week to 10 days, and you have to give him the full course for the infection to clear up. Keep giving her the medication and keep cleaning out her pocket, and hopefully it clears up and heals soon. I hope Murray feels better soon. Please post some pictures of him as well. We love pictures on here.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you so much for replying!! My vet prescribed duoxo wipes and an antibiotic called simplicef. I'm hopeful he feels better soon! It's terrible when he's sick

I would try and see if rewarding works. So show him a treat, then show him the wipe. Be gentle when wiping since it may hurt a bit... Then right after reward with treat. He will learn that there's something in it for him eventually and allow you do clean. But again, their little tails are sensitive so be gentle... maybe more patting rather than rubbing.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Poor little guy! I'm sure some of his resistance is because the cleaning process hurts right now since his little tail is infected and irritated. Definitely give him lots of treats before and after the process. He probably won't protest as much once the irritation is cleared up and you're just cleaning it for maintenance.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

For future reference, do not buy duoxo wipes from your vet. You can get them on amazon for a lot less. You don't need a script to get them.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
This did help!!! he still doesn't like it but is getting a lot calmer about it! Thank you!!!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thank you! The vet charged me a little over twice the price they're listed for on amazon!!! I'm so glad I found this site-everyone has been so nice and helpful!!!

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Welcome! This site is amazing, you always have a support system here! I second everything already mentioned in this post! good luck and give time to heal :) Your bully will be feeling much better soon.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
fortunately for me Chance has a gay tail so no pocket to clean, knock on wood could change with age so i keep an eye on it. Good luck you have been given great advice, time will heal and bring you two closer, weird the things that make you bind. I do not know what i would of done with out these guys here and both Chance and I benefit and then get to help others with what we have been through a win win situation :D

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hello everyone! Unfortunately I don't have anyone else in my life who has an English bulldog and I am looking for some advice. I took my 5 and a half month pup Murray to the vet because he was dragging on his rear an awful lot and I was concerned about it, it turns out he has a tail pocket infection :( he has been on antibiotics and they gave me prescription wipes but he flips out when I clean it (which I do anyways) and it's not looking too much better, though he has stopped dragging on his rear significantly, anyway it's been about a day and doesn't look any better. Looking for advice from anyone who has been through this before! Thanks :) CC

Alright, so it's been a week and his tail looks a ton better but he's still scooting around on it bit, not all the time but maybe like 10 times a day for a minute at a time...has anyone had this happen? Is this a normal part of the healing process? I'm wondering if maybe there's a cream or ointment I should put on it or if I should just wait to see what the vet says on Friday...any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again -CC

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Maybe he needs his anal cleaned out since he scoots around a lot, I have a Boston Terrier that scoots around and she has to have an anal cleaning about every 3mo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Alright, so it's been a week and his tail looks a ton better but he's still scooting around on it bit, not all the time but maybe like 10 times a day for a minute at a time...has anyone had this happen? Is this a normal part of the healing process? I'm wondering if maybe there's a cream or ointment I should put on it or if I should just wait to see what the vet says on Friday...any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again -CC

When something is healing... it is itchy! Try to just wipe it with witch hazel to keep it clean and dry -- dry is key to keeping the infections away

Most Reactions