Blood in stool

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
10 yo girl had 2 bowel movements today that had a bloody, mucus stool today for 1st time. Stool has been consistently solid with no issues up to this point. Her 1st movement today was a 2 parter: she pooped, then strained to get another poop out. Then's when I noticed the blood.. It seems to be more on the outside of the stool vs throughout, and seems to be at the "8 o'clock" position.. So, seems to be same spot when the stools comes out, but can't 100% tell. Just recently changed up her food, seems she's had GERD recently and was hoping a new food would help. She's been getting canned pumpkin for over a year, so don't think fiber is really an issue. Also just started giving her some Reglan to try and help with the Gerd.. Guess will take her in for blood work, stool check (which I really don't think will tell more then "blood in stool"), and a possible x-ray to rule out a blockage or possible growth.. Any suggestions, advice, 2 cents.... Thanks...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If she's straining, it could be that she just ripped something. But because of her age, I'd probably take her in just to be safe.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with nycbullymamas great advice. She probably just irritated her lining from straining, or it could be an irrational from a new food change, but if it continues, I would take her in to the vet for a checkup. I hope it's nothing serious and she's okay. Please keep us posted.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah, I would get her in right away... have them do a full checkup. I would request an xray, and blood work. Also bring them a fresh stool sample so they can test.

OP
D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Took her in with 2 stool samples.. Vet seems to think it's just an intestinal issue, nothing to be concerned about.. said fast for 24 hours, bland diet for 48 hours, and antibiotic.. recheck in 7 days, or earlier if needed..she's definitely not happy about the fasting part, but fine with burger and rice.. keeping fingers crossed for now..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, the blood is from straining too much. Try adding some water to her food and maybe a little yogurt. Goats milk plain yogurt is best. That should help her out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Took her in with 2 stool samples.. Vet seems to think it's just an intestinal issue, nothing to be concerned about.. said fast for 24 hours, bland diet for 48 hours, and antibiotic.. recheck in 7 days, or earlier if needed..she's definitely not happy about the fasting part, but fine with burger and rice.. keeping fingers crossed for now..

Hope she is feeling better today

OP
D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
got notice that fecal sample was good to go.. negative for stuff (can't remember details, too tired)..

OP
D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Did the bland diet for 48 hours, then started slowly going back to kibble. The following day, she had a massive blowout of diarrhea.. Just 1 episode, but bad enough she almost got a bath.. She was on a walk at the time, so at least that was good.. Vet said " go back to bland... stay with kibble.. no kibble.. no bland.." wasn't much help.. So have been back on kibble and pumpkin, and she had a big, mostly solid BM on her walk tonite.. Hopefully she's over the bump of being sick..

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Did the bland diet for 48 hours, then started slowly going back to kibble. The following day, she had a massive blowout of diarrhea.. Just 1 episode, but bad enough she almost got a bath.. She was on a walk at the time, so at least that was good.. Vet said " go back to bland... stay with kibble.. no kibble.. no bland.." wasn't much help.. So have been back on kibble and pumpkin, and she had a big, mostly solid BM on her walk tonite.. Hopefully she's over the bump of being sick..

Praying this is it for her, sweet baby. Did you add the probiotic?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.