Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
We have a 3 year old English bull dog. A few months ago she began having a green/yellow discharge from her right eye. They put her on antibiotics and it went away. It returned two weeks later. I waited a month and took her to a
opthamalogist and they washed her eye and put her on antbiotics.
Again it went away and again a month later came back. Any thoughts. They don't think it is dry eye. My thought is maybe a hair got in her eye while I was brushing her? The opthamalogist said they may have to operate. I am reluctant to go that route yet.
never any issues with her eyes before.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am assuming that they checked her eyes for entropion. I would talk to the pharmacist and get something that you could rinse the eye with each day, and ask him if there is
and ointment similar to panalog that he could recommend, or ask your vet for panalog eye ointment. I had to use that for my horse, as she had eye problems, in one eye.
It wasn't prescription-but I think it is now.I would try that before surgery. What was the surgery for?? [MENTION=5778]Little miss Maggie[/MENTION]

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
[Edited by moderator] Here is a pic showing the discharge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
They did not feel entropy was an issue for Maggie. The surgery that the canine opthamologist said would be as a last resort would be under general anesthesia to remove a foreign object.

I was at her regular vet for another issue and told her the last resort issue from the opthamologist and she said lets test her for dry eye first. Which they did yesterday and no dry eye issues. They kind of shrugged and prescribed another round of antibiotics and OFLOXACIN eye drops. these eye drops are a new addition..perhaps they will be the help we need?? OFLOXACIN appears to be an antibiotic drop.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[Edited by moderator] Here is a pic showing the discharge.

Sweet little girl! usually that discharge is a sign of an infection so I get the antibiotics, but they should also give an antibiotic eye drop too to keep the eye clean... i hope this round does the job for your girl.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, let's hope the anti-drops will solve the problem!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We have a 3 year old English bull dog. A few months ago she began having a green/yellow discharge from her right eye. They put her on antibiotics and it went away. It returned two weeks later. I waited a month and took her to a
opthamalogist and they washed her eye and put her on antbiotics.
Again it went away and again a month later came back. Any thoughts. They don't think it is dry eye. My thought is maybe a hair got in her eye while I was brushing her? The opthamalogist said they may have to operate. I am reluctant to go that route yet.
never any issues with her eyes before.
I will tell you about our experience with this.. Abbott our OEB is 2 1/2 and began having eye issues like this at around 1. Our vet said he had entropian in both eyes so she did surgery..then His right eye never got better so he had another surgery on that eye.Well here we are and he's had 3 surgery's plus hair up under his eyelid cut out and still no better.We took him to an optomologist who did the hair removal 385 dollars later and still not good.So we went back and he did a stitch procedure to see if the eyelid would roll back out..Nope.So we are now at vet #2 for arthritis issues and he tells us he still has entropian in both eyes and needs surgery again.. He has discharge just like your bully almost daily.So please have them double check and look for hairs way up in the lids.We feel so sorry for Abbott he blinks constantly in his right eye :) Hope this helps..

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
UPDATE: I sought out another eye doctor and turns out to be dry eye. The second opinion ophthalmologist recommended cyclosporin drops 2 times a day in each eye (to combat any allergies that might be inhibiting tear production) and now her tear production is back up and all is fine. She will likely be on them for life. But her eyes look like they used to .... healthy and bright.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Awesome update!!!

UPDATE: I sought out another eye doctor and turns out to be dry eye. The second opinion ophthalmologist recommended cyclosporin drops 2 times a day in each eye (to combat any allergies that might be inhibiting tear production) and now her tear production is back up and all is fine. She will likely be on them for life. But her eyes look like they used to .... healthy and bright.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.