Tonkatruck

Sep 9, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hello my bulldog Tonka just turned 8 and this is her first year she has had ANY problems. About 2 months ago I noticed patches of hair falling off of her and it had almost a wax like peeling layer and then would be bald. It seems to be spreading in patches. Took her to the vet. She was given antibiotics and a medicated shampoo. It helped and went away. Now again today I've noticed more have appeared but on the other side of her body. Dr said staph or yeast infection. But she's gets a bath and is very spoiled inside dog ofcourse. Does anyone else have this problem? The only thing I can put together is that both times occurred while weather was very hot and humid.... Also her paws are getting swollen now too. No sores just swollen. Any thoughts?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello my bulldog Tonka just turned 8 and this is her first year she has had ANY problems. About 2 months ago I noticed patches of hair falling off of her and it had almost a wax like peeling layer and then would be bald. It seems to be spreading in patches. Took her to the vet. She was given antibiotics and a medicated shampoo. It helped and went away. Now again today I've noticed more have appeared but on the other side of her body. Dr said staph or yeast infection. But she's gets a bath and is very spoiled inside dog ofcourse. Does anyone else have this problem? The only thing I can put together is that both times occurred while weather was very hot and humid.... Also her paws are getting swollen now too. No sores just swollen. Any thoughts?

8 was our number too. Tyson was the picture of health until he turned 8. Ugh. Anyway the patches you are referring too.... are they crusty on the bottom, scab like? If so yes, could be staph or yeast (from food). What helped us (because Tyson had staph) and his got bad, and bigger by the day as they popped up. I threw away his bed, ran all this bedding/blankets through sanitize cycle wash. I brought industrial Lysol for things that couldn't be washed, and carpet cleaner for mites, etc. I cleaned everything... (because Staph can easily be re-contracted by contact) - then we started using a shampoo from the vet, which you can also buy online.
We finally got it under control - along with a food change. I've linked everything for you: I know this is what we did and worked for us... so just suggestions :) All his patches grew back and were generally small, but once he got a huge one that got really nasty on his back, I said enough is enough.

The swollen paws are likely from yeast. What are you feeding currently?

Carpet Cleaner:

Amazon.com - X-Mite Anti-Allergen Moist Powder Carpet Cleaner - Mite Powder

Lysol:

Amazon.com: Lysol IC Disinfectant Spray with Control Flo Valve, 19 Ounce: Health & Personal Care

Shampoo:

: Amazon.com: Dechra DermaBenSs Shampoo, 12-Ounce

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Staph is so hard to get rid of... My first boy suffered with it and it stems from a weakened immune system... For us it was allergies which weaken the immune ...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.