Pamperedchefjen

Jan 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco, Jasmin
Hi! I have read everything I can find for allergies and I suspect my 8 yr old boy has some allergy, but we are having trouble and I am wondering if you can recommend a next step for us. Just a little history.
Spring 1 & 2 with us, he had diarrhea and we did a basic allergy test with no results
Spring 3 we had the same, plus severe hair loss on his sides. Did the $400 allergy panel no conclusive results. A pregnant friend said the water smelled funny, we changed to filtered water and had all symptoms cleared up.
Spring 4, 5 & 6 no issues!
Summer 6 - July - Sudden drooling episode that was a constant drip, long enough to soak his bed. Severe itching on tummy (would thump like a rabbit if you touched anything other than his head), red/raw feet. Treated by vet but she is not sure about the drooling. Reversed all environmental changes - cleaner used, bedding soap, then started trying new food. First food he had severely upset stomach, diarrhea and gas (we may have changed too quickly) saw the vet for ear infection, wrinkle infection and settled his stomach; changed foods again properly - diarrhea again, and after getting assistance from the vet again, found this food did not agree with him. Onto the third new food, his stomach is settled, we went in for 1 ear infection but it could've been from before the change. His ears look great, his face wrinkles are normal, and the vet does not think it is a food allergy. He has developed a red patch on his stomach that looks like eczema- dry, irritated, and his back feet and legs are red. He has a skin tag that has gotten bigger. He is licking his front feet (but they don't look bad). He has had 1 drooling episode and we gave Benadryl and it stopped. He is such a trooper - he is eating fine, playing with his sister, wants to go for a walk, napping comfortably, despite it looking so itchy - he is not scratching.
We are going into the vet on Tuesday but in the meanwhile should we:
*bath him with the medicated wash to prevent infection?
*not bath him because it will dry him further, put coconut oil on it?
*change to raw diet?
I am open to suggestions, but the vet seems to be at a loss. We will go to the emergency vet if you recommend. Thanks in advance!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
when my abbey developed allergies it was mostly from food.. some trees and ragweeds... i could tell from the look around her eyes but also she scratched on her stomach till she bleed.. long story short... apoquel is the miracle for her..... did the shots, (over a year) changing food helped alot but not completely... she now looks and acts like a much happier dog.. hope you can get it figured out.. i know what your going thru..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor guy! What food are you feeding, brand and protein? When you did the allergy tests, was he off of any steroid for a period of 30 days before the test was taken, assuming he was on one?

My girl has bad environmental allergies, what I found helped a lot (not eliminate) was to wipe her face, belly and paws after each outing... just a cool wash cloth and it really lessened her itching and redness.... along with Benedyl

OP
Pamperedchefjen

Pamperedchefjen

Jan 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco, Jasmin
It's Nature's Variety Instinct (Grain Free) Turkey. We tried limited ingredient lamb and pork prior to this and he did not agree with either.

He had not been on any type of steroid around the first allergy test, but now that you mention it, I am not sure about the second test. I will check back.

How often do you use Benedryl? I suspect it is environmental allergies because of the timing of his out-breaks. I used a medicated wash when we came in today. A cold cloth sounds good. The skin looks irritated and feels terrible to me, but he does not seem bothered by the dry red skin/bumps, unless we are touching the areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The reason I asked about the steroids is because the suppress the system and therefore give false results from any testing. Benedryl can be given up to 3x a day... 1mg per pound. My girl was 60lbs. I gave her two each dose but on bad days she got 2 1/2. Also, Claritin is an option and i think the dose is 1 tablet a day. [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] ... Is that right? I always forget the clartin dose.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.