Should we neuter?

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
I need some pros and cons of getting our pup neutered - he's only 4mths so it may be alittle bit before we do but the vet said any time now. He is a total inside dog. We have zero dog parks so he's not around other dogs unless we come across them while walking him - and his walks are fairly brief ESP in warmer. He is pretty good temperamental wise so no aggression issues are anything or possessive issues. Should I worry about future possessive issues and is testicular Cancer a big worry with these dogs? I have read so much about how with their breathing issues surgeries can be rough so I hate to do anything not totally necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
In my humble opinion, I would not want to neuter him at 4 months.I personally feel that is too young. It is a personal decision whether or not to neuter. I have always had
males neutered, and females spayed, as I wasn't planning on breeding.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If he is an inside dog mostly and an only dog ... There is no need to rush your decision. Let time pass and if issues arise or you get a second dog then make the call.

BTW -- i am all for spay/neuter, all my dogs are done at 8 mths of age, but you have to make a decision based on your life style and the dog behavior/health

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks for the input my husband and I are still debating - we definitely don't plan on getting any more dogs - 3 kids and 1 dog in a house with about 900sq ft is enough lol. We will wait till he is older before doing anything I just want other opinions from people who have been through it. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I had Harvey neutered when he turned 1. He has a great temperament, an inside dog but we decided to neuter him when he started humping to the point where his private rubbed against a rough surface, cut himself and started bleeding. The vet suggested neutering him to calm him down. The constant bleeding could have elevated to a prolapse which is expensive. Wait till he matures a little and then neuter. Good luck on your decision.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I had no real knowledge of the pros or cons of neutering when we got Henry. Our vet said any time after 5 months. When he was 5 1/2 months he got excited when we got home after a half day outing and I had his fixed the next week. My entire reason was that I didn't want him humping. There's different opinions on it stunting their growth. I don't know a thing about that but Henry had stayed fairly petite, 45 pounds. He's the perfect size for me as he can still fit on my lap.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.