How does one go about selling a puppy with cherry eye?

AngiesMommy

Dec 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Angie
We are USDA licensed and specialize in exotics (primarily hedgehogs). But our vets complimented our bulldog Angie so much (even said she was the healthiest EB they have ever examined) and hinted that she would make the perfect breeder. So we gave it a go. They helped us find the perfect stud, did the insemination, and she was even able to free whelp under the vets guidance at their office. 6 beautiful babies. Angie was a great mom, never wanted to leave her pups' side, and just plays with them all day. We are keeping one female and are so excited because our Angie is the greatest dog on earth and we can't wait to have her daughter growing up here with her.
They have all been vaccinated and checked weekly by the vet who does our home inspections for USDA. All of them were going to great families and had deposits. All of a sudden we noticed a cherry eye developing in one female when they turned 8 weeks. We have never had any of our bully's have a cherry eye. We called Angie's breeder who said they had it happen once but in a different line, not Angie's parents. Stud owner has never had it happen to the stud either but didn't ask the stud's breeder yet. There was already a deposit and her family is eager to get her, otherwise we would hold her here until she was old enough for the surgery. Our vet said the surgery would be between $300 and $400. We told her new owners who don't seem bothered by it but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. So we made this puppy $600 less than all the others since she may need one or two surgeries down the road later. Do you think this is the right thing to do? My vet said that cherry eye is mostly cosmetic and is a breed-common issue and any bully can get it so a discount isn't even necessary. I don't believe that's right, if a pup needs surgery I want to help them with it. Do I give them the puppy? I feel a little weird about giving away a registered healthy English bulldog puppy with papers and pedigrees for nothing when usually EB's are thousands. Especially if the surgery isn't even that much money. i could always sign a paper saying that I will help with vet bills up to a certain point if surgery costs more than the $600 discount, but is that excessive?
Please let me know what your opinions are. I want to do this right and I want to be fair. Any comments or opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think you ate doing the right thing....

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think a $600 discount on that puppy is fair, good for you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree, discount the puppy and find it a good home. Put it on the contract if you want them to make sure to get it fixed.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree you are doing the right thing, and I think it's fair to offer a discount toward the eye surgery. I don't think you need to offer more of a reduction since cherry eye is common for the EB breed. My female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I purchased Murphy and he had cherry eye in both eyes.
They discounted him 600$
She was going to get his surgery done and then mark him back up but I said i would take care of it.

Other then that he is extremely healthy.
We have had two surgeries on him for his eyes.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I think you are fair in what your doing or maybe have the surgery done yourself, FTSE developed it at four months and cost us around $1200 all up this was on top of $4000 we paid for him but I did not expect the breeder to compensate as I had him from 9 weeks and they were unaware it was going to happen to FTSE

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.