Idiopathic Head Tremors

Rltrinidad

Sep 3, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
Hi All! I recently adopted a 2.5 yr old female english bulldog and she has recently started having idiopathic head tremors. We've had her for 2.5 weeks and she is currently eating Purina One Turkey and Venison. My husband took her for a ride to Sonic four days ago and they (Sonic) gave her treat, they came home and shortly after that's when it began. She had one, than at night while sleeping she had another. The day after she had one more, but hasn't had any since. I give her a treat and force her to focus on something to get it to stop. I've read that there's nothing to do to prevent the onset, but some people switch the food and the amount of tremors lessens greatly. I was going to purchase FROMMS classic adult formula to see if that helps. I would appreciate any input.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I moved your post from "Training and bahavioral" to "Your bulldogs health".

Purina is not good quality food and it most definedly can be the cause. Idiopathc means that there is no known cause, but from experience of a few dog owners I would say it is caused by the lack of vitamin B's. It can be that he is not getting enough or they're not absorbing for one reason or another. Food switch is a good thing and you could also try supplementing with vitamin B's.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi All! I recently adopted a 2.5 yr old female english bulldog and she has recently started having idiopathic head tremors. We've had her for 2.5 weeks and she is currently eating Purina One Turkey and Venison. My husband took her for a ride to Sonic four days ago and they (Sonic) gave her treat, they came home and shortly after that's when it began. She had one, than at night while sleeping she had another. The day after she had one more, but hasn't had any since. I give her a treat and force her to focus on something to get it to stop. I've read that there's nothing to do to prevent the onset, but some people switch the food and the amount of tremors lessens greatly. I was going to purchase FROMMS classic adult formula to see if that helps. I would appreciate any input.

I agree with Riisi, get her off that food, its no good. Get her onto a good quality grain free food. Fromms is a great choice, just choose from their grain free line, as they have some that are not. Please keep us posted on her progress with the new food. Also, when transitioning, do it slow over a week or so by mixing the new food in day by day increasing as you go, and add some canned pumpkin to ease the belly during the change.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gang has you covered... If going Fromms look at a grain free option too

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I moved your post from "Training and bahavioral" to "Your bulldogs health".

Purina is not good quality food and it most definedly can be the cause. Idiopathc means that there is no known cause, but from experience of a few dog owners I would say it is caused by the lack of vitamin B's. It can be that he is not getting enough or they're not absorbing for one reason or another. Food switch is a good thing and you could also try supplementing with vitamin B's.

Do you know the vitamin B dosage fir a canine?

OP
R

Rltrinidad

Sep 3, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
Thanks everybody! I bought Purina One because that's what she was on at the humane society, but never knew the impact it would have on her. As far as vitamin B supplements, would I give her those in pill form? I've never given a dog supplements for health. I'm definitely going to get her some canned pumpkin because I've heard great things.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Vitamin B's are water soluble, no danger of over dose. I would buy a supplement for dogs and give what the package says.

Do you know the vitamin B dosage fir a canine?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a supplement, but vitamin B is not on the list.... I will just get one OTC fir Lambeau-- he has started and i want to try the B. Thx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online