Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! I need advice/opinions on when to spay!

Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Default HELP!! I need advice/opinions on when to spay!

I have 14 week old EBD siblings. One male and one female. We are going to wait to neuter our male until he's a year old, but I'm just not sure about when to spay our girl. My vet recommends to wait until she's atleast 6 months and preferably after her first heat. Her stance is that it would help with her (slightly) hooded vulva and the issue with bladder control, and hormone levels. BUT- she would honor whatever I choose. I know the chance of cancer is almost eliminated by doing it before the first heat, but I don't want her to have leaking problems either. Then the other issue- our male. Im not sure I even want to deal with him while she's in her heat.
    I want to do what's best for Penny- but within what will be more manageable in the home as well. Any and all advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!!
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP!! I need advice/opinions on when to spay!

We had Banks spay at 6 mths ... Before she went into heat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Corine Pesantes, Texas Carol liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Do you have friends/ family/ neighbors to take your Male
    while she's in heat?

Had a friend with a female Weimy with same issues of vulva,
    her Vet also suggested waiting until after 1st heat. She did
    and her dog never had other issues w/ infections or leakage.

For me, I like to wait until Males have developed bone & muscle
    mass (protection from bone cancer & injuries) before neutering,
    at least a year old or more for bullies.

Best of luck!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

6. Likes 2BullyMama, Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    We had Banks spay at 6 mths ... Before she went into heat
    have you had any issues with bladder or her hormones out of whack? This is what I leaning towards I think.
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Do you have friends/ family/ neighbors to take your Male
    while she's in heat?

Had a friend with a female Weimy with same issues of vulva,
    her Vet also suggested waiting until after 1st heat. She did
    and her dog never had other issues w/ infections or leakage.

For me, I like to wait until Males have developed bone & muscle
    mass (protection from bone cancer & injuries) before neutering,
    at least a year old or more for bullies.

Best of luck!
    We don't have anyone that I would be willing to take him for that long- shoot, I don't think I'd want him gone that long. Lol. We always wipe her anyway, and it's not severe. I think wherever she is at her 6 month mark is what will happen. I'm leaning towards spaying her before her first heat- but wait until 6 months. If by chance she goes into heat- then I have no choice but to wait. Lol.

9. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    have you had any issues with bladder or her hormones out of whack? This is what I leaning towards I think.
    No..., she did have issue with too much skin/tissue in her girly area and our vet told us at a few months old she would need a vulvoplasty (more common than you'd think in all breeds) to lessen the chances of bladder/UTI issues. she lived a very good 9 yrs.... her issues were all related to arthitis in her spine and allergies
    e.

11. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I had Winnie spayed before her first heat. She hasn't had any leakage problems yet. My last boxer, Lily was spayed after her first heat and she did develop a leakage problem--just a little leaking at night when she was asleep. Out of all my females who were spayed, two developed leakage. And they were both spayed after first heat. There is a medicine they prescribe for that--it's a hormone--and it worked great for my girls. What I'm saying is that in my experience it doesn't seem to matter concerning the leaking. I've had six girls (boxers and Bulldogs), some spayed before and some spayed after first heat, that did not develop any leakage.

Just my experience, but it will make you crazy if Penny goes into heat and Lockjaw is at home. I've done it and it's terrible!! @Corine Pesantes

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    I had Winnie spayed before her first heat. She hasn't had any leakage problems yet. My last boxer, Lily was spayed after her first heat and she did develop a leakage problem--just a little leaking at night when she was asleep. Out of all my females who were spayed, two developed leakage. And they were both spayed after first heat. There is a medicine they prescribe for that--it's a hormone--and it worked great for my girls. What I'm saying is that in my experience it doesn't seem to matter concerning the leaking. I've had six girls (boxers and Bulldogs), some spayed before and some spayed after first heat, that did not develop any leakage.

Just my experience, but it will make you crazy if Penny goes into heat and Lockjaw is at home. I've done it and it's terrible!! @Corine Pesantes
    Thank you so much! I've been leaning more towards before her first heat. They are a handful now together at 3 1/2 months. I can only image how it'll be If she's in heat and trying to keep Lockjaw away from her. He's not an overzealous barker- but, if there's something he wants, he'll definitely let you know. Lol. We're going to wait until she's 6months. How old were your girls when they were spayed?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much! I've been leaning more towards before her first heat. They are a handful now together at 3 1/2 months. I can only image how it'll be If she's in heat and trying to keep Lockjaw away from her. He's not an overzealous barker- but, if there's something he wants, he'll definitely let you know. Lol. We're going to wait until she's 6months. How old were your girls when they were spayed?
    Well, my first bully Daisy went thru one heat and then we had her spayed before the second. Rosie was my second and she went thru the first heat and we had her spayed before the second one, just like Daisy. You know, both of those girls I would probably have had both of them spayed before their first heats--they just snuck up on me! Annie was spayed at 6 months and Winnie was spayed at 7 months, both of those girls before the first heat. None of my bullies ever had any leakage problems. One of my boxers did and she was spayed after her first heat. I had an intact male boxer when she was in heat and it was awful--and that craziness lasts for 3 weeks! And it's really messy too. Your babies are adorable! I bet they are a riot!

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Well, my first bully Daisy went thru one heat and then we had her spayed before the second. Rosie was my second and she went thru the first heat and we had her spayed before the second one, just like Daisy. You know, both of those girls I would probably have had both of them spayed before their first heats--they just snuck up on me! Annie was spayed at 6 months and Winnie was spayed at 7 months, both of those girls before the first heat. None of my bullies ever had any leakage problems. One of my boxers did and she was spayed after her first heat. I had an intact male boxer when she was in heat and it was awful--and that craziness lasts for 3 weeks! And it's really messy too. Your babies are adorable! I bet they are a riot!
    Thank you! They are a mess! They puppy play 99%of the time! When they take it too far I have to alternate who goes in the x-pen to give them a few minutes from one another. Lol - my biggest obstacle right now is potty training. Lockjaw was about 90% trained when we brought Penny home- now he seems to be regressing a little bit. He pooped in the x-pen today and he hasn't pooped in the house since the day we brought him home (2 months ago). Penny was kept in a raised kennel, so we had to start from scratch with her. Crate training has been exhausting. She does well in there- but she poops- almost everyday. I even waking up in the middle of the night to take her out. Another thing is that it takes her FOREVER to poop after they eat. She's on the same food from the breeder, and she was fed about the same time I feed them. But she's just not pooping as fast/ often as Lockjaw. She is a VERY sweet, docile little girl though - except with her brother, she doesn't take any of his crap. LMBO!

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! They are a mess! They puppy play 99%of the time! When they take it too far I have to alternate who goes in the x-pen to give them a few minutes from one another. Lol - my biggest obstacle right now is potty training. Lockjaw was about 90% trained when we brought Penny home- now he seems to be regressing a little bit. He pooped in the x-pen today and he hasn't pooped in the house since the day we brought him home (2 months ago). Penny was kept in a raised kennel, so we had to start from scratch with her. Crate training has been exhausting. She does well in there- but she poops- almost everyday. I even waking up in the middle of the night to take her out. Another thing is that it takes her FOREVER to poop after they eat. She's on the same food from the breeder, and she was fed about the same time I feed them. But she's just not pooping as fast/ often as Lockjaw. She is a VERY sweet, docile little girl though - except with her brother, she doesn't take any of his crap. LMBO!
    Sounds like you have a little spitfire in her! Have you started to transition her to Lockjaw food yet?
    e.

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Sounds like you have a little spitfire in her! Have you started to transition her to Lockjaw food yet?
    They both eat the same food from the breeder. It's Victor 24/20 high energy. Today has been good so far! No poop in her kennel since yesterday morning! Woohoo!!!! Let's just pray this continues! Lol

19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads