Drug shortages in Veterinary Medicine

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boy that's an eye opener, I'll bet that most people don't even realize what's going on with these life saving medications, thank you for sharing.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for the article.

I can't speak for where the writer got their info. but as far as Apoquel goes, I've been following it since before it came on the market. It was deemed the "miracle" drug by many vets and those of us that are always on the look out for a new medication for our allergy prone dogs, could not wait until it was released.

So let me put my 2 cents into the Apoquel debacle.

Since he parent company Pfizer, stands to make billions off of Apoquel, the only reasons I see for not releasing more of this drug is;
1. Opening up more plants (they recently opened a second) takes time. Buying/renting/building a plant, licensing requirements, it needs to be in state and federal compliance, inspections, etc. All of this takes a crap load of time.
2. I also "think" (and this may sound like a conspiracy theory) since they still don't know the long term side effects, it's safer to keep the drug to a smaller distribution base. Less lawsuits, easier to take it off the market should the need arise.

Zoetis (makers of Apoquel, are also coming out with another skin medication any day now. If anyone's interested, here's the link:
https://www.zoetisus.com/news-and-m...nine-atopic-dermatitis-immunotherapeutic.aspx

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Does anyone out there use Apoquel. I ran out last we and was told by my vet that it has been discontinued. Anyone know if this is true?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does anyone out there use Apoquel. I ran out last we and was told by my vet that it has been discontinued. Anyone know if this is true?

Many here do.... [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]. [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] snd a few others I can't remember right now

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

WHAT?? It's too late to call my vet, but I asked in my Apoquel group and so far, no one's heard this. It also doesn't say anything about it being discontinued on Zoetis' page.

I think your vet is wrong.

eta: someone just said they picked it up today. So no way was it discontinued.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@BrianW I think your vet meant is was on back order. It's still in very short supply. Currently, I have 3 "dealers" (vets) that I can get it from if one is out.

Call around and see who has it, especially the dermatologists as they seem to have a larger supply. They'll probably make you take your pup in but it's worth it.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
@BrianW I think your vet meant is was on back order. It's still in very short supply. Currently, I have 3 "dealers" (vets) that I can get it from if one is out.

Call around and see who has it, especially the dermatologists as they seem to have a larger supply. They'll probably make you take your pup in but it's worth it.

The woman at my vet's office told me that Apoquel has been discontinued. After I posted, I called Zoetis and talked to a representative for about 20 minutes and they told me that there is a major back order. I also talked to them about the new drug that they are working on that is injectable.

My wife works with a pharmacy, that also does drugs for animals. Well the pharmacist called a friend and I was able to find some for now. Hope they don't stop, because it is the only thing that works..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The woman at my vet's office told me that Apoquel has been discontinued. After I posted, I called Zoetis and talked to a representative for about 20 minutes and they told me that there is a major back order. I also talked to them about the new drug that they are working on that is injectable.

My wife works with a pharmacy, that also does drugs for animals. Well the pharmacist called a friend and I was able to find some for now. Hope they don't stop, because it is the only thing that works..

I'd call your vets office and correct her as soon as possible. She's misinforming the patients.
But yeah, it's on back order. People are always searching for it in the group I belong to and others posts where it is available. Send me a pm if you want info. on the group. They may be able to help in the future
if you having a hard time getting it.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sadly until they can either build new facilities or find a way to decrease the manufacturing time there is probably going to be a shortage for a very long time. I read an article when Apoquel first came out that talked about the process to make it and that it can take up to 3 years to make a batch which seems crazy to me but then again I am not a chemist so what do I know.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I still get Hersheys from his vet in Delaware and rick Rettinger ships it to me..I'm afraid they'll eventually stop giving it to me if he hasn't been there for a checkup recently.
Pits amazing how they can't keep this in stock..I could understand at first but it's been 2 years..why can't supply meet the demand already?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.