popping noise from the hip

JackMurdoc

Sep 4, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Murdoc
My four year old very tall English bulldog who has a nice waist line (people are usually amazed by this) and weighs in at 50 lbs has a new "popping" sound that comes from his hip when he runs or picks up his speed. He doesn't seem to be in pain but it is continual and not going away. It sounds very much like a joint pop from a knee of hip of people. His doctor examined it and manipulated it but could not make the popping sound while not in motion and offered to run radiology tests...which I was hesitant. He also doesn't seem to be in pain when this happens but I'm still worried. I've added glucosamine and chondroitin to his diet and tho its only been a few weeks I'm not seeing any improvement as of yet. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Has anyone else had this experience? Also I'm open to suggestion on how to improve things if anyone has anything as well.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=3170]JackMurdoc[/MENTION] If there is going to be improvement with G/C, it would take awhile. One of mine had the popping noise, I thought it was the hip, it turned out to be a knee.
I started the G/C, and within about a few months, the popping was gone. The dog was much younger than yours,though, when I started with it. You might check his knee caps-it could be subluxating.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
He could have loose hip joints. Adding glucosamine and chondroitin is good and you couls try fish oil as well.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
An x-ray is probably the only way to know if there is something going on... but if he doesn't show any pain, discomfort or problems moving or getting up I would probably not worry to much. My knees pop sometimes but I have no issues so maybe it's just something that happens sometimes:unsure:

I have two bulldogs with Hip Dysplasia but their hips never popped or made a sound, so I don't think the two is connected...

Hope the supplements work, we also give that to ours:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@JackMurdoc If there is going to be improvement with G/C, it would take awhile. One of mine had the popping noise, I thought it was the hip, it turned out to be a knee.
I started the G/C, and within about a few months, the popping was gone. The dog was much younger than yours,though, when I started with it. You might check his knee caps-it could be subluxating.

agreed... did they check the knees? also, to be definitive, x-rays will be needed and I would also start the G/C to help

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.