ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It's been a crazy week at our house, but I wanted to update you guys on Walter...

I had taken him in for a cold a week ago, and the vet went ahead and gave him some doxycyline. She did a respiratory test "just in case" to see what we were dealing with… turns out that Walter had mycoplasma. It is a bacteria that can cause colds and pneumonia in dogs. WHEW… I'm SO glad that she started the antibiotics on him BEFORE it got any worse :whew: I can't put into words how thankful I am to have a wonderful vet… she is really on TOP of things.

What else is interesting, everybody in the house right now has colds… I asked my vet if Wally's mycoplasma was contagious?!! She said that there is evidence that some viruses can be passed from animals to people… :ohmy:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow...what a huge difference an experienced, caring Vet makes!

About time you find one like this to take care of precious Walter.

Sending love & prayers for super fast recovery for all...Hugs!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope he gets better soon, as all of you. :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so glad Walter is doing better and thankful the vet tested him. I hope he feels better soon.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Excellent it was detected - mycoplasma is serious if not discovered in time.

But can pneumonia really spread to humans from dogs? If it can, make sure you get tested for mycoplasma right away if you humans start develop pneumonia symptoms! I came down with mycoplasma a few years ago and actually had to spend five days in hospital - it was horrible. The problem with mycoplasma (at least in humans) is that ordinary pneumonia antibiotics doesn't help help so you need a specific type of antibiotics.

Best of luck to Walter!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Excellent it was detected - mycoplasma is serious if not discovered in time.

But can pneumonia really spread to humans from dogs? If it can, make sure you get tested for mycoplasma right away if you humans start develop pneumonia symptoms! I came down with mycoplasma a few years ago and actually had to spend five days in hospital - it was horrible. The problem with mycoplasma (at least in humans) is that ordinary pneumonia antibiotics doesn't help help so you need a specific type of antibiotics.

Best of luck to Walter!

Holy COW… I'm so sorry you dealt w/that. My vet said it is NOT yet confirmed that it can be passed from dogs to humans, but there are theories out there. Do you know how you caught it?!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Wow, that is great that your vet caught it early! And good thing that you got him right to the vet! Hope Walter recovers quickly, along with the rest of the family. Poor things! :blah:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Get Well prayers for Wally:pray::pray::pray::pray: :yes: Stay well prayers for you!:pray::pray::pray::pray::yes:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Holy COW… I'm so sorry you dealt w/that. My vet said it is NOT yet confirmed that it can be passed from dogs to humans, but there are theories out there. Do you know how you caught it?!!

Well, apparently there are mycoplasma 'epidemics' now and then, and a few years ago many kids around here got what everyone thought was the ordinary winter cold/flu. Kids with no prior health issues don't get very ill; my son got it but was never tested for pneumonia and was fine after a week or so without antibiotics. Then I fell ill, and the doctor thought it was 'ordinary' pneumonia and I got some antibiotics but they didn't help and I ended up in hospital where they finally realised it was mycoplasma pneumonia.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, apparently there are mycoplasma 'epidemics' now and then, and a few years ago many kids around here got what everyone thought was the ordinary winter cold/flu. Kids with no prior health issues don't get very ill; my son got it but was never tested for pneumonia and was fine after a week or so without antibiotics. Then I fell ill, and the doctor thought it was 'ordinary' pneumonia and I got some antibiotics but they didn't help and I ended up in hospital where they finally realised it was mycoplasma pneumonia.

That is so scary… Wally seems to be absolutely fine, and I'm keeping an eye on the kids. Everyone seems to be doing okay, but I'm going to watch them like hawks for pneumonia. Thanks for the info though…

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Good on you, Tracey [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], for getting him to the vet early. I always take my guys to the vet sooner (sometimes too soon) rather than later. So much better to catch that stuff early. I took Jack to get his nails trimmed at the vet last week and the vet said they'd seen a lot of dogs with coughs lately. I had asked her about the canine flu, which she hasn't seen yet. I've never even heard of mycoplasma pneumonia! I wonder if the pneumonia vaccine protects against that kind. Love to you and Wally--hope everyone is well soon!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank god you caught this early enough and the baby didn't get really sick. I hope you all are feeling better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A fantastic vet makes all the difference.... so glad she went the extra step and started the me3ds.

Hope you are all feeling better

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I never even heard of this before, it's incredible how much this website teaches me all the time! I hope everyone feel better and stays better.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys...

Wally is doing great, and we are on the mend. Hopefully we will feel 100% by this week…

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.