Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hello!
Can anyone give me some advice regarding Epsom salt baths?
Every spring and summer my Lily gets pink/red itching paws that she bites and licks all the time.
I know it's allergies probably from the grass or weeds out in the backyard.
I wipe her paws down after she comes in after potty breaks.
I give her Benadryl 2x a day.
I also soak her paws every other day with a medicated shampoo that I got from the vet.
I was thinking of trying Epsom salt this time.
How much would I use?
How much water do I use?
Do I do this in the bath tub?
And how long would I soak her for?
And how often would I do this?

Thank you in advance!
Lisa

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
I am here looking for answers as well! I have been just putting epsom salt in a Tupperware and soaking his paw for about a minute and half than drying it off. Not sure how mush good it's doing though.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You can do it however you would like, tub, bowl, etc. We do both - in tub if he's getting a bath, but if its a single paw - we'll just use a glass bowl, add some epsom, and warm water, and soak it for a few minutes (as long as they allow). Then pat it down dry. I'd say 1/4 cup salt, 3/4 water. If its bad, I'll soak once to twice a day.... otherwise I really just do it as needed.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
- - - Updated - - -

You can do it however you would like, tub, bowl, etc. We do both - in tub if he's getting a bath, but if its a single paw - we'll just use a glass bowl, add some epsom, and warm water, and soak it for a few minutes (as long as they allow). Then pat it down dry. I'd say 1/4 cup salt, 3/4 water. If its bad, I'll soak once to twice a day.... otherwise I really just do it as needed.

Thanks so much for the info! I will try that!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for the info! I will try that!!

Yes, it really does for us. 1 - it calms the itch and soothes the skin. 2 - if he has a blister or sore, it will heal it up in just a few days!

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
That's a great start! Has the epsom salt help him at all?

Yes! He often gets infections in between his toes so I'll soak them and then apply an ointment the vet gave us to help fight the infection. His paw usually improves within two days doing that morning and night. I can let you know the ointment if you'd like? We also use it if his wrinkle gets infected or his nipples(don't judge, for some reason he has one that gets nasty ever so often. ).

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Yes! He often gets infections in between his toes so I'll soak them and then apply an ointment the vet gave us to help fight the infection. His paw usually improves within two days doing that morning and night. I can let you know the ointment if you'd like? We also use it if his wrinkle gets infected or his nipples(don't judge, for some reason he has one that gets nasty ever so often. ).
Yes please do! That would be great to know! Never judge!! One never knows what will happen with a bulldog!! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

agreed... this is how i do it as well

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
All i know about epsom salt is if you put them in a tub make sure they don't drink to much of the water.. our daughter in law did this and it was like giving them a laxative.. poor dog ran out to yard and didn't make it a few times..

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Yes please do! That would be great to know! Never judge!! One never knows what will happen with a bulldog!! LOL

So sorry for the late reply! But we get this from the vet for Opie:
Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP .1%

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online