Drooping Lower Eyelid?

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi Everyone, I noticed yesterday that one of Barkley's lower eyelids is drooping a lot and his eye seems to be more red than normal...Does anyone know what could have caused this all of a sudden?

I read somewhere the drooping eyelid could be caused by a scratch or irritation and the inner eyelid comes up more to protect the eye while it's healing...We watched our friend's 4 month old puppy all last week so I was thinking that maybe his eye accidentally got scratched or something by the puppy while they were playing?

Should I just watch it for a couple more days and if it doesn't get any better take him to the vet? Or is this something I should take him to the vet for sooner?

Thanks for any advice!! :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Could you post a picture?

Yes sorry! This is as good as I can get right now, he doesn't like to sit still for long! [emoji4]

8a82b06505f6ae60ea957346671078bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would get some simple saline - rinse his eye at least 2 times a day for a few days. I do this to Tyson's eyes during high allergy time. Keep it nice & dry/clean. He may have irritated while playing. But if you see no improvement within a week, maybe have it checked out. Is he blinking alot or trying to rub it, scratch it on stuff, etc?

PS - Those teef! I love them!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I would get some simple saline - rinse his eye at least 2 times a day for a few days. I do this to Tyson's eyes during high allergy time. Keep it nice & dry/clean. He may have irritated while playing. But if you see no improvement within a week, maybe have it checked out. Is he blinking alot or trying to rub it, scratch it on stuff, etc?

PS - Those teef! I love them!

Thanks for the suggestion!! What's funny is that when our friend dropped the puppy off his eye was really red, irritated and squinty he thinks from getting into stuff while they had done yardwork and then he kept messing with it and making it worse....So I gave the puppy benadryl for a few days and rinsed it out, put warm compresses on it, etc and he was back to normal by the end of the week...Now it seems like I have to nurse poor Barkley's eye back to health too! haha...

He hasn't been messing it with it more than normal...he usually rubs his eyes on the furniture every morning and that eye can be a little watery sometimes but our vet (who is an awesome bulldog vet) said he thinks he may just have mild entropion but it doesn't seem to be causing any damage or bothering him enough to need surgery....I will definitely clean it out and put lots of warm compresses on it and hopefully it will be back to normal in a few days!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for the suggestion!! What's funny is that when our friend dropped the puppy off his eye was really red, irritated and squinty he thinks from getting into stuff while they had done yardwork and then he kept messing with it and making it worse....So I gave the puppy benadryl for a few days and rinsed it out, put warm compresses on it, etc and he was back to normal by the end of the week...Now it seems like I have to nurse poor Barkley's eye back to health too! haha...

He hasn't been messing it with it more than normal...he usually rubs his eyes on the furniture every morning and that eye can be a little watery sometimes but our vet (who is an awesome bulldog vet) said he thinks he may just have mild entropion but it doesn't seem to be causing any damage or bothering him enough to need surgery....I will definitely clean it out and put lots of warm compresses on it and hopefully it will be back to normal in a few days!!

He may have had a little infection that he could have passed on to Barkley.... warm plain tea bags work great too for compresses. Tyson actually allows it - haha. I bet it was excitement, horse play, etc... and it will be gone in a few days :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
It does look red. I'll bet he did irritate it while playing with the puppy. I would probably watch it for a couple of days and if it doesn't get better or if it gets worse, if he is trying to rub it, I would take him in and have the vet check it. If there is a scratch, the sooner you get some drops, the better. Playing with puppies is a common way that adult dogs get their eyes scratched--evil little buggars!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
He may have had a little infection that he could have passed on to Barkley.... warm plain tea bags work great too for compresses. Tyson actually allows it - haha. I bet it was excitement, horse play, etc... and it will be gone in a few days :)

Yea I was actually thinking the same thing...And I did put some chamomile tea bags on the puppy's eye a couple times so I will def have to try that with Barkley too. Oh my gosh, I wouldn't doubt it being all the excitement and playing...Barkley gets so excited and just doesn't know how to stop playing sometimes and obviously the puppy doesn't either haha. We had to put them in their crates a lot to force them to take a break! Now he has been catching up on his sleep after the puppy went home!

We are getting a new puppy ourselves, so Barkley will have a little sister coming home in October! I know he will be so excited to have a permanent playmate but will have to learn how to chill out too! haha...And thanks for the comment on his "grill" haha, he always has those teef out!! Oh and I just saw you are in Katy, we are in the Houston area too!! :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
It does look red. I'll bet he did irritate it while playing with the puppy. I would probably watch it for a couple of days and if it doesn't get better or if it gets worse, if he is trying to rub it, I would take him in and have the vet check it. If there is a scratch, the sooner you get some drops, the better. Playing with puppies is a common way that adult dogs get their eyes scratched--evil little buggars!

Ohhh yes, poor Barkley just got beat up on by that little guy (even though I know he loved every minute of it!) haha...Barkley is just too nice and would let the puppy bite all over his ears, cheeks, legs, whatever he could get...I was like, come on Barkley you need to put him in his place at least once!! haha

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yea I was actually thinking the same thing...And I did put some chamomile tea bags on the puppy's eye a couple times so I will def have to try that with Barkley too. Oh my gosh, I wouldn't doubt it being all the excitement and playing...Barkley gets so excited and just doesn't know how to stop playing sometimes and obviously the puppy doesn't either haha. We had to put them in their crates a lot to force them to take a break! Now he has been catching up on his sleep after the puppy went home!

We are getting a new puppy ourselves, so Barkley will have a little sister coming home in October! I know he will be so excited to have a permanent playmate but will have to learn how to chill out too! haha...And thanks for the comment on his "grill" haha, he always has those teef out!! Oh and I just saw you are in Katy, we are in the Houston area too!! :)

Congrats on the new pup! I bet he'll be thrilled! Yes, we're in Katy - but we both work in Houston. We also go to Brittmore - I think you mentioned you go there as well before? I think? :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Congrats on the new pup! I bet he'll be thrilled! Yes, we're in Katy - but we both work in Houston. We also go to Brittmore - I think you mentioned you go there as well before? I think? :)

Thanks! We're so excited for the new puppy although puppy-sitting last week def made me remember how much work puppies are! Ahhh!! Yea my husband works in downtown Houston but we live more north, technically in Humble but right off 59 and the Beltway...Yep we do go Brittmoore (we've actually only been once since we just moved to the area a year ago but the time we saw Dr. Dikeman I thought he was awesome!!)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks! We're so excited for the new puppy although puppy-sitting last week def made me remember how much work puppies are! Ahhh!! Yea my husband works in downtown Houston but we live more north, technically in Humble but right off 59 and the Beltway...Yep we do go Brittmoore (we've actually only been once since we just moved to the area a year ago but the time we saw Dr. Dikeman I thought he was awesome!!)

They sure are alot of work, prepare yourself; can't wait to see pics!! Yes, everyone there is just amazing. The entire staff - seriously getting to see other bulldogs is also a treat since you will likely always see at least one or two when you are there. I often go to pick up things during lunch (I work right on the other side of the freeway from them) and I go through the front lobby so I can pet all the babies. Hahaha.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
They sure are alot of work, prepare yourself; can't wait to see pics!! Yes, everyone there is just amazing. The entire staff - seriously getting to see other bulldogs is also a treat since you will likely always see at least one or two when you are there. I often go to pick up things during lunch (I work right on the other side of the freeway from them) and I go through the front lobby so I can pet all the babies. Hahaha.

I'm trying to get prepared...I've just gotten used to Barkley being such an easy dog it's going to be an adjustment for sure!! I bugged my husband for sooo long to let us get a 2nd one so he finally gave in and the puppies were just born last week! Haha that's so funny, there weren't any other bullies there when I went but I've heard there usually are! Do you guys ever go to the meetups? We went to a couple this year but haven't been able to make it to any lately :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm trying to get prepared...I've just gotten used to Barkley being such an easy dog it's going to be an adjustment for sure!! I bugged my husband for sooo long to let us get a 2nd one so he finally gave in and the puppies were just born last week! Haha that's so funny, there weren't any other bullies there when I went but I've heard there usually are! Do you guys ever go to the meetups? We went to a couple this year but haven't been able to make it to any lately :(

Seems there's always at least one when we go. But I've seen as many as 4 at once! We have done meetups in the past, however I only go if they are in the fall/winter or indoors - bc now its too dang hot. Tyson can't even hang for his usual length walks. He's older so I have to be careful. As a matter of fact, they just posted yesterday about Houston Meetup. Here's the link to the thread.... if they schedule for fall - we'll be there :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...d-meet-ups/47319-houston-meet.html#post614732

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Seems there's always at least one when we go. But I've seen as many as 4 at once! We have done meetups in the past, however I only go if they are in the fall/winter or indoors - bc now its too dang hot. Tyson can't even hang for his usual length walks. He's older so I have to be careful. As a matter of fact, they just posted yesterday about Houston Meetup. Here's the link to the thread.... if they schedule for fall - we'll be there :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...d-meet-ups/47319-houston-meet.html#post614732

I hear ya!! Oh awesome, we will def have to try and make it out to some in the fall too!! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.