OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Hello EBN,

I just scheduled Opie to get neutered...during the procedure they are going to check out his palate and evaluate for a future procedure.
I have read about bulldogs and surgeries being a little scary..but now that he is actually scheduled I am freaking out inside. We normally see a vet whom sees multiple bulldogs and actually delivered Opie. The last time we went to the vet was unscheduled for a toe nail infection so we just got the next available vet who was wonderful as well. When we spoke with her about getting Ope neutered and his soft palate she referred us to one of the docs who happens to be the only one at the clinic who performs soft palate surgeries. Which is great, I would want him to evaluate his palate more than any of the other docs. I was going to schedule Opie with our normal doc but he no longer performs any type of surgeries as he will soon be retiring. Now Ope is scheduled with the doc who does the soft palate surgery and has done tons of bulldog surgeries. But I am still not at ease. I don't think I would be with his normal doc either though...
I sure hope his anesthesia is good and it all goes well...
I am just a worry wort and can't even fathom the thought of Opie being gone this soon in life(15 months). :(

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=12644]OpieRay[/MENTION], it's normal to feel worried about Opie's upcoming surgery as he's your baby and you want him to get through the procedure safely and successfully. You should discuss your concerns about the anesthesia (and the surgery) with the vet who will be performing the surgery. I find that asking questions and getting answers from the vet has eased my mind greatly whenever one of my boys has to have a procedure done on them. The vet who will be doing Opie's surgery sounds quite experienced with the bulldog breed so that is a big plus.

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
@OpieRay, it's normal to feel worried about Opie's upcoming surgery as he's your baby and you want him to get through the procedure safely and successfully. You should discuss your concerns about the anesthesia (and the surgery) with the vet who will be performing the surgery. I find that asking questions and getting answers from the vet has eased my mind greatly whenever one of my boys has to have a procedure done on them. The vet who will be doing Opie's surgery sounds quite experienced with the bulldog breed so that is a big plus.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it. I'll definitely be asking many many questions.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We completely understand your worries. Our bulldogs have such a hold on us that we're always on protective mode.

I would ask the vet any questions that you may have. For instance, make sure that they're using the right type. See what their procedures are after the surgery and ask how he's going to be looked after. All good vets should empathize with the parents and be open in discussing concerns.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
My mother loves Boxers like we love Bulldogs. She gave my local vet the third degree about anesthesia, specifically using ACE? I don't know what that is exactly but she said it is something that should NOT be used on short nosed dogs. You might ask about that? However, as long as your vet knows Bulldogs, I'm sure he knows what he is doing. I would also think if he has done the palette surgery, he is familiar with short nosed dogs.

I feel your pain with your baby undergoing surgery. Prayers for you both.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending you lots of positive thoughts..... we all always worry when it comes to putting a bulldog in surgery. Ask all the questions you have an be sure that they monitor him after the procedure to watch his breathing.

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Thank you all for your words and prayers! I am starting to feel better about this. As Mom of Tucker said, he does palate surgeries so he should know what he is doing. It's his first surgery, but I am sure all will go great.
I have started a list of questions I will ask.

- - - Updated - - -

My mother loves Boxers like we love Bulldogs. She gave my local vet the third degree about anesthesia, specifically using ACE? I don't know what that is exactly but she said it is something that should NOT be used on short nosed dogs. You might ask about that? However, as long as your vet knows Bulldogs, I'm sure he knows what he is doing. I would also think if he has done the palette surgery, he is familiar with short nosed dogs.

I feel your pain with your baby undergoing surgery. Prayers for you both.

Hmmm I'll have to look into ACE and see what I can find and ask them! Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Welp, I dropped Ope off this morning. The Vet made me feel comfortable and definitely has experience with bulldogs.
I get to pick the poor bub up at 4:30 today...so far we haven't heard any bad news.
So no news, is good news.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Is Opie out of surgery? Have you spoken with the vet yet?

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Is Opie out of surgery? Have you spoken with the vet yet?

I called the office about an hour ago and talked to my friend who is actually gonna be one of the techs in the surgery! Opie was just now getting prepped. She said she will have the Dr. call me when its all done.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I called the office about an hour ago and talked to my friend who is actually gonna be one of the techs in the surgery! Opie was just now getting prepped. She said she will have the Dr. call me when its all done.

hoping all goes well.... sending positive thoughts! keep us posted

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=12644]OpieRay[/MENTION] / checking in? How's the baby doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.