Teeth surgery For the elderly

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
What are your thoughts on anesthesia for my Macon, at her age, for teeth cleaning and extraction? She's 13? Possibly as young as 10. Quite frankly I'm afraid she won't survive. Does anyone think she can live with the cavities if I can get her teeth cleaned up with brushing? I don't want to bring her this far and jeopardize her life. The most I know is that her heart sounds good. So, nothing.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
That's a hard call Roseann. Anesthesia is always risky for seniors, but those teeth sound like they absolutely need to be fixed for her quality of life. I think I would have all the pre-op stuff done, blood panel and everything else they do for seniors before surgery and then talk it over carefully with the vet and see what he recommends. In the end it's still your decision, but I'm sure you will make the best decision you can. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's a hard call Roseann. Anesthesia is always risky for seniors, but those teeth sound like they absolutely need to be fixed for her quality of life. I think I would have all the pre-op stuff done, blood panel and everything else they do for seniors before surgery and then talk it over carefully with the vet and see what he recommends. In the end it's still your decision, but I'm sure you will make the best decision you can. Good luck!

totally agree --- do all your prep work and have a really long pro/con discussion with your vet. I am going to tag a few members that had this done with both good and bad results.

sending lots of love and prayers your way

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He basically said that we need to get the blood work and if all is good they need worked on. For a first time talk he seemed sure it needs done. I'm just scared of it. I was scared to have Henry fixed and he was a healthy pup. I just don't know if I can let it happen. I have anxiety over it and it's not on the table yet. I just really don't know if I can. Maybe I can use a water pick. I wish.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I will speak of my experience with this only because I got tagged but have
mixed emotions and do think it may influence your decision of what to do
and frankly, not sure what is best to do for Macon.

Brutus was my 1st bully & adopted, age 3-5 and neglected thru-out multiple
homes. Face was infected, terrible teeth & skin/coat problems. The Vet confirmed
he had infections below the gum & possible teeth abscesses so took blood work, etc,
all looked fine so we scheduled the teeth cleaning, all seemed fine, Brutus came out
from anesthesia, they called to report all this but 10 minutes later, called to say he
gone. Too devastated to do anything but pick him up (my son kindly did) and bury
him at home so not sure what happened to cause his death. Later research told me
to keep them in surgery room & intubated in cause they start struggling, Vet can get
right on them & possibly save them. Certain types of antibiotics are hard on their hearts
(they gave him antibiotic shots during surgery) I'd have them wait after surgery before
giving them. I admit, especially with the seniors, I fear surgery for them. On the other
hand, it may save her life as infections also kill & she seems in pain. Take it to God in
prayer, I join you in asking for His Blessing & Favor upon Macon & the Vets. Sending
love to y'all.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] The more I learn from you the more respect I have for you. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree as well, that it's a very tough decision. I would do all the research, blood work, prep work, type of anaesthesia, ask any questions possible. Then pray, pray and pray.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I don't have any experience with this but I am wishing you well in your decision and no matter what, you deserve kudos for taking in Macon and giving her such love and care.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This a tough call and you really don't have it easy eather way. Best of luck and prayers what ever you deside.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
What are your thoughts on anesthesia for my Macon, at her age, for teeth cleaning and extraction? She's 13? Possibly as young as 10. Quite frankly I'm afraid she won't survive. Does anyone think she can live with the cavities if I can get her teeth cleaned up with brushing? I don't want to bring her this far and jeopardize her life. The most I know is that her heart sounds good. So, nothing.

Diva at 8 had 3 teeth removed and handled the drugs pretty well no issues she is ten now and I am positive My vet would NOT go there now or I , Diva also survived breast cancer at 7 and she was under far longer for that surgery and again NO issues . It is really your call along with your vets advice that's a true trust factor in your vet to be considered , the other thing I would worry about is the teeth infecting if left , sorry to sound negative here its a very tough call .

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Whatever you decide, it is in the best interest of the animal. Good luck and positive thoughts going your way.

I really have to agree with this, it's all up to you but keep in mind it's whatever is in the best interest of Macon. Maybe seek out a second opinion from another vet clinic all together.

When Elsa first came to live with us and we took her into the vet, our vet told us that she should have her front tooth removed because it's so loose. She would have to be under for the whole thing. After talking with people and discussing it on here we've decided not to do it because she's been through so much already. There are so many people out there that will not pur their bulldogs under no matter what because they are so scared to lose them and I completely understand. It's really admirable for what you've already done with her, you are a true life saver and I know you will make the right decision.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Not knowing the situation with Macon's teeth, I will just say that which ever option is in the best interest of his health. If his teeth are bad enough to cause him health problems and pain, that may be the deciding factor. However, if they are not causing him trouble, I would prolong the decision as long as you can.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We go back to the vet on Friday, I'll talk with him and see what he suggests. I'm not looking forward to even having a conversation about it. Thank you all you your thoughts on my baby. She is feeling a little better the last couple days. I'm thankful for that.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I am struggling with this very issue right now for Sally. How bad are her cavities? Sally has quite a bit of teeth missing already (they were pulled at the shelter she was dumped in, or even possiby during her over breeding years) but there's one tooth that has gotton infected now twice. She finished a round of antibiotics and she's good now but I was told that if the it gets infected again and I don't get it pulled it could "kill her." I'm at a loss of what to do, as you, I too am very concerned that she would not pull through a surgery. She's anywhere from 9.5-11 (we're really not sure of her age). Right now I'm sitting tight with her keeping my fingers crossed, but I doubt I will have it pulled.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online