*Really* red and irritated in face fold...

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Is this an allergy thing? I've been using malacetic wipes daily for a week. (The redness started a few days ago.) Is that the result of too much mal wipes usage?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Could be an irritation from overuse of the wipes. I was doing extra cleaning on Harvey's bum and tail pocket and he appeared uncomfortable trying to reach his backside and was constantly sitting down. His bum was red too.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I thought I was doing something good. I got scared after her recent tail pocket infection, so I've been mal wiping her face folds, ears, and tail pocket every single day for a week now.

Figures I'd create more problems...ugh!

If that's the probelm, do you guys think I should use Desitin or A&D to fix her face?

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
There really is always something. The vet even commented on how much I'm spending. :(

ETA: I'm sure she hates me after getting those pictures, by the way. :fie:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have quit using the wipes on Mabel every day. Instead, my vet recommended a wet, warm washcloth for her folds every day. It's working!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I did the same with Henry when I was using wipes he was allergic to. I felt terrible. Now I alternate cleaning from witch hazel, peroxide, wipes he's not allergic to, and acne pads. No problem since I decided to use a variety of cleaners.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would keep the stronger wipes for maybe 1-2 times a week or if you see something brewing (getting red, etc) but for everyday just a regular wipe with some witch hazel. Or even just a dry napkin, or wash cloth. How is Bella today?

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I would keep the stronger wipes for maybe 1-2 times a week or if you see something brewing (getting red, etc) but for everyday just a regular wipe with some witch hazel. Or even just a dry napkin, or wash cloth. How is Bella today?

Well, I didn't use the mal wipes on her face yesterday (and I put a little A&D on the irritation). Today, it's more rusty brown than flaming red. I guess I'll go back to witch hazel on her eye folds.

So, witch hazel is milder than Malacetic wipes?

Thanks Jessica!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well, I didn't use the mal wipes on her face yesterday (and I put a little A&D on the irritation). Today, it's more rusty brown than flaming red. I guess I'll go back to witch hazel on her eye folds.

So, witch hazel is milder than Malacetic wipes?

Thanks Jessica!!

Yes :) Witch hazel is very mild, and safe for everyday use. You don't have to drench the wipe in it, just a bit goes a long way - goal is just to keep the wrinkles clean & dry :) The baby ointment is great, I use Destin (A&D -same thing) when I start to see some irritation and usually its gone in a day or two.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yes :) Witch hazel is very mild, and safe for everyday use. You don't have to drench the wipe in it, just a bit goes a long way - goal is just to keep the wrinkles clean & dry :) The baby ointment is great, I use Destin (A&D -same thing) when I start to see some irritation and usually its gone in a day or two.

Bella and I are so grateful for you!! Thanks! :lubu:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Desitin works wonders on raw skin.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

agreed! I use witch hazel, like every other day and just a dry cloth daily

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online