xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
So yesterday while petting Jovi I noticed there were two small and one large bump on her left leg. So I told my fiance about it and he said we will have to bring her to the vet in a few days if it does not clear to so if it's a tumor, I obviously hated to hear those words, but I agreed. We went to bed and woke up and all I see along the back, legs, chest are bumps. They are everywhere! And on her chest she has red spots. What is going on?!?! I must say that about 3 weeks ago I was switching over to Merrick so that was mixed in with Fromms to get her switched. But then I heard I should give her Zignature as it is limited ingredients and does not contain potatoes which she has a yeast issue so about 4 days she has had a mix of Fromms, Zignature and Merrick so I can switch her over. I have noticed though for about 3 weeks shes been really itchy and I just though they it was just her allergies but now she has bumps and she cant stop itching herself! She does not have fleas or ticks as I have checked her and our other dogs for them. I did just give her a bath with medicated shampoo and conditioner for itchy skin and gave her benedryl... But what else can I do? What is this? Also, I dont have a car currently and my fiance is at work so I don't have a way to the vet atm. I could though if it was serious but do you think it's just an allergic reaction? And what do you think it's from. We also did get new laundry detergent about a month ago and I just bought the stuff we usually use and washed our sheets to see if maybe that was the problem. Here are some pictures, she kept moving so this was the best I could get.

IMG_5910 (1).jpgIMG_5911.jpgIMG_5912 (1).jpgIMG_5913.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So yesterday while petting Jovi I noticed there were two small and one large bump on her left leg. So I told my fiance about it and he said we will have to bring her to the vet in a few days if it does not clear to so if it's a tumor, I obviously hated to hear those words, but I agreed. We went to bed and woke up and all I see along the back, legs, chest are bumps. They are everywhere! And on her chest she has red spots. What is going on?!?! I must say that about 3 weeks ago I was switching over to Merrick so that was mixed in with Fromms to get her switched. But then I heard I should give her Zignature as it is limited ingredients and does not contain potatoes which she has a yeast issue so about 4 days she has had a mix of Fromms, Zignature and Merrick so I can switch her over. I have noticed though for about 3 weeks shes been really itchy and I just though they it was just her allergies but now she has bumps and she cant stop itching herself! She does not have fleas or ticks as I have checked her and our other dogs for them. I did just give her a bath with medicated shampoo and conditioner for itchy skin and gave her benedryl... But what else can I do? What is this? Also, I dont have a car currently and my fiance is at work so I don't have a way to the vet atm. I could though if it was serious but do you think it's just an allergic reaction? And what do you think it's from. We also did get new laundry detergent about a month ago and I just bought the stuff we usually use and washed our sheets to see if maybe that was the problem. Here are some pictures, she kept moving so this was the best I could get.

View attachment 90239View attachment 90240View attachment 90241View attachment 90242

Those are hives. Its a reaction to something. The thing is with all the changes in food, and detergent - there is no way to determine the cause. Give her some Benadryl, and just watch to make sure there are no breathing problems. It could take a few days for the hives to go down. If you start to notice any problems breathing, get her to the vet immediately as they will need to inject her with something stronger. I would go back to basics with everything. Go back to old detergent. Go bland with her diet for at least a week, after the week of bland - start mixing in the new kibble day by day.

The bath & benadryl should help alot.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Those are hives. Its a reaction to something. The thing is with all the changes in food, and detergent - there is no way to determine the cause. Give her some Benadryl, and just watch to make sure there are no breathing problems. It could take a few days for the hives to go down. If you start to notice any problems breathing, get her to the vet immediately as they will need to inject her with something stronger. I would go back to basics with everything. Go back to old detergent. Go bland with her diet for at least a week, after the week of bland - start mixing in the new kibble day by day.

The bath & benadryl should help alot.

is there a safe yet more efficient amount I should give her of benedryl right now? I currently give her 2 25mg tablets.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
She weighs 40 lbs but evrywhere online said they can take up to 2mg per pound so I figured I would round up to 2 tablets which still be less than 2mg. Also I have anti-inflamatory pills still for her legs. WOuld this help at all for hives?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

View attachment 90239View attachment 90240View attachment 90241View attachment 90242

These are definitely Hives, and are caused by an allergic reaction to something. It can be from food, environment, new soap or cleaning products, or a bee or bug bite. Benadryl will work for the hives, but it can take 2 or 3 days to clear up, and only if you eliminate what caused the reaction. Dozer had hives 2 summers ago, and I gave him Benadryl, it took 2 days to see an improvement and 3 days to clear up. I never did find the cause of them, but they disappeared so I think it may have been a bug bite, as nothing else had changed in his routine.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
She weighs 40 lbs but evrywhere online said they can take up to 2mg per pound so I figured I would round up to 2 tablets which still be less than 2mg. Also I have anti-inflamatory pills still for her legs. WOuld this help at all for hives?

No the anti-Inflammatory pills won't do anything for hives. Keep on the Benadryl - 1 mg per lb every 8 hours & keep an eye on breathing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
They sure are hives , I know with humAns and allergies we give prednisone I wonder if this would help also I know Chumley had it when his ears were inflamed it's not a drug to use often but I think it's worth a vet visit as soon as you can get there and see what they say as its quite a big reaction .i hope things have settled down throughout the day with Benadryl

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
It seems the hives have worsened. It says online that hives are a fast reaction to something, but she has been on the mixed food for about a week and washed the sheets about 2 weeks ago with the new detergant. Would it take this long to breakout? I keep replaying back to when I first noticed it and nothing was different, maybe she got bit by something? She seems to not be itching AS MUCH right now but the hives are def worse.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It seems the hives have worsened. It says online that hives are a fast reaction to something, but she has been on the mixed food for about a week and washed the sheets about 2 weeks ago with the new detergant. Would it take this long to breakout? I keep replaying back to when I first noticed it and nothing was different, maybe she got bit by something? She seems to not be itching AS MUCH right now but the hives are def worse.

I'd get her to the vet today - she needs something stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Just got back from the vet and they prescribed some steroids. And recommends I go back to fromms for now since we don't know what caused it exactly. Anywho the store that sells fromms is closed until Monday so I have to do a bland diet. I want to do a bland diet with boiled hamburger, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. How do u mix in the pumpkin and sweet potatoes? Do they need to be cooked a certain way as the hamburger does?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just got back from the vet and they prescribed some steroids. And recommends I go back to fromms for now since we don't know what caused it exactly. Anywho the store that sells fromms is closed until Monday so I have to do a bland diet. I want to do a bland diet with boiled hamburger, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. How do u mix in the pumpkin and sweet potatoes? Do they need to be cooked a certain way as the hamburger does?

Should be boiled

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.