Hip & Joint/Glucosamine & Chondroitin Supplements

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Does anyone use any for their pups? Many of you may know, my Samson broke his front left leg in the joint when he was 6 months old. It required orthopedic surgery to correct it. His orthopedic vet told me that as a result of the injury he would suffer from some degree of arthritis at some point in his life no matter what. I had been giving him a treat with glucosamine and chondroitin for about a year after the injury because I wanted to be proactive but then I wasn't able to find that treat anymore. I have never found a replacement supplement. Now that he is approaching 5 years old I feel like I really need to do something about this before it becomes a problem, I know they carry so much weight in their front legs so it really concerns me. The supplements and treats I have seen on the market all have ingredients that I feel would cause problems with his allergies. I recently tried one from Doctor Fosters & Smith and what do you know he has been scratching more! Alot of the other supplements I have seen have similiar ingredients to that Dr. Fosters & Smith one I bought so I can't see how that would be any better. Anyone know of a hip and joint supplement that is good for bullys with allergies? Any advice would be appreciated. Even if its just your experience with situations like this or arthritis, and not the supplements.

tessaandsamson-albums-samson-aka-sammy-two-tone-picture1617-5-months-old-i-broke-my-leg.jpg

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
ALSO I know people can experience pain in places that they had broken bones or in places they suffer from arthritis when it's cold and rainy out, do you think that can happen with dogs as well? Last time it was cold and rainy out Samson started limping on that leg a bit, it didn't look like he was in great pain but still limping a bit. Dave and I assumed it was just the weather because it only lasted for a day or 2.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We give Mack Dasuquin Soft Chews, but he has no known allergies.

I think most dogs aren't as sensitive to pain as people but definitely could react to cold, damp weather. That is a sweet picture of him with his cast on. Did he leave it alone or have to wear a cone?

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks, I'll check out the ingredients!

He only had the cast on for a couple days and thankfully I was able to be at his side for every minute of it, literally I RARELY left his side. So he didn't have to have the cone. The cast was only on for about 2 days, they put it on the day it happened and it came off 2 days later when he went in for surgery.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just check out Nuvet and here is the ingredients in the NuJoint Plus, may be worth a try?

Ingredients

MSM supplies biologically active sulfur to animals' joints. Use of MSM has been shown to reduce the rigidity of cells in the soft tissues of the body. By reducing this rigidity, fluids are able to pass more freely from the cell and this helps to reduce cell pressure, thereby reducing inflammation and pain.

Glucosamine provides the joints with the building blocks needed to repair the damage caused by osteoarthritis . Acting as a catalyst, Glucosamine helps animals synthesize new cartilage needed to replace damaged cartilage caused by wear and tear. Hip dysplasia occurs when normal wear and tear break down cartilage.

Chondroitin attracts and holds fluid within cartilage tissue helping to lubricate joints, increase mobility and reduce discomfort caused by hip dysplasia. Chondroitin neutralizes the destructive enzymes that are known to damage and destroy cartilage. Chondroitin aids the entry of Glucosamine into inflamed joints. Vitamin C promotes cartilage growth and tissue repair.

Vitamin C is a key factor in the immune system, helping white blood cells function. Prolonged Vitamin C deficiency will cause existing tissues to deteriorate.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:bump:
Maggie had her yearly check up and shots today. The vet found a little movement in her two back knees and has prescribed Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM for her. It's a joint supplement that the vet says will help her.

I see that [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] is using it ......... does anybody else have feedback?? I do know that I can get it through Amazon.com for less than the vet was going to sell it for, which is always nice to find out!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know you are in southern California..Trader Joes has a great glucosamine tablet for dogs..recommended for my rottie by my vet..I don't know about allergies and this product..but very reasonable in price and dogs love it. That picture is just so SAD!

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I've been giving my bullmastiff GNC Hip & Joint Health tablets, They also sell this at Petsmart. He likes the flavor, eats them right out of my hand. He is an older dog and was having a hard time getting up on the couch, after about a week he jumps up without a problem. They have beef and peanut butter flavor. I don't know about allergies. Here is a link to the label http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-8608097_gnclabel_pdf.pdf

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I really have to start giving some glucosamine to Bruin & Lilly. I just have a gut feeling that I should and that it can only help them as they get older. I keep meaning too, I just put it off. I was doing Nupro for a while, but I wasn't following the directions. It says to give them a certain amount for a few months then cut back, but the amount they suggest just seemed like way too much, but I didn't see any differences happening.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We give Gizmo and Hershey 'The Missing Link' with Glucosamine (there is 2 different dog formulas) its for their coat primarily, but it has the added benifit of the Glucosamine

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I've been giving my bullmastiff GNC Hip & Joint Health tablets, They also sell this at Petsmart. He likes the flavor, eats them right out of my hand. He is an older dog and was having a hard time getting up on the couch, after about a week he jumps up without a problem. They have beef and peanut butter flavor. I don't know about allergies. Here is a link to the label http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-8608097_gnclabel_pdf.pdf

Very cool I'll look into that!

I ultimately decided to use a human supplement because it had less ingredients so I felt it would have less of a chance of giving Samson an allergic reaction, the brand is Spring Valley. I had my vet look at it first though in case there was any ingredients that would be toxic and he said it was fine.

Members online

No members online now.