Help Needed! Bulldog Limping Front Leg!!! Sometimes fine, other times he can barely walk.

maveledo

Aug 18, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
Hi!
Pumba is our one year old 55 lbs. English bulldog. For the last 3 weeks he has been limping on his left front leg. He is still very active, sometimes he does not even limp and runs and jumps like crazy. Other times the limp is very obvious. We took him to 2 different vets, and it looks like nothing is broken since there is no sign of pain when feeling his leg. So most likely it’s a bruise. He starts limping a bit more when he plays rough or starts jumping off the sofa or sidewalk. We got an anti-inflammatory for 7 days, and some joint chews, but nothing has worked. So from what I've read in other forums we need to crate rest him for a couple of weeks, problem is we have never crated him before (we don't even own one, we let him roam free in the apt/sleep in the sofa).My girlfriend does not agree with me buying a crate in order for him to rest for a couple of weeks. She suggests we buy a pet gate instead to keep him in the kitchen area which is roughly 8 by 5 feet; I'm just concerned that he will not get enough rest as being in a crate. Do you think the kitchen area rest would be enough for him? (which will eliminate the jumping on furniture). Or should I just get a crate for his leg to heal properly for 2 weeks?

pumba.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi!
Pumba is our one year old 55 lbs. English bulldog. For the last 3 weeks he has been limping on his left front leg. He is still very active, sometimes he does not even limp and runs and jumps like crazy. Other times the limp is very obvious. We took him to 2 different vets, and it looks like nothing is broken since there is no sign of pain when feeling his leg. So most likely it’s a bruise. He starts limping a bit more when he plays rough or starts jumping off the sofa or sidewalk. We got an anti-inflammatory for 7 days, and some joint chews, but nothing has worked. So from what I've read in other forums we need to crate rest him for a couple of weeks, problem is we have never crated him before (we don't even own one, we let him roam free in the apt/sleep in the sofa).My girlfriend does not agree with me buying a crate in order for him to rest for a couple of weeks. She suggests we buy a pet gate instead to keep him in the kitchen area which is roughly 8 by 5 feet; I'm just concerned that he will not get enough rest as being in a crate. Do you think the kitchen area rest would be enough for him? (which will eliminate the jumping on furniture). Or should I just get a crate for his leg to heal properly for 2 weeks?

View attachment 90159

Crate or gated is fine as long as he stays calm. You have to rest him for a minimum of 2 weeks if not more. Do you think that if he's gated off he will still run around & jump, etc? If so, then crate. But if he stays calm and will just relax & sleep then gate is fine. The main thing is running, jumping, etc. So no couch, bed, etc. Also, if possible no long walks, etc. Just quick potty breaks in yard if possible. If he runs around when he goes out, then leash him for back yard. He is such a handsome boy, I'm sure he just sprained or bruised something. The rest will definitely help, and I would still continue the joint supplements, going forward.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crate or gated is fine as long as he stays calm. You have to rest him for a minimum of 2 weeks if not more. Do you think that if he's gated off he will still run around & jump, etc? If so, then crate. But if he stays calm and will just relax & sleep then gate is fine. The main thing is running, jumping, etc. So no couch, bed, etc. Also, if possible no long walks, etc. Just quick potty breaks in yard if possible. If he runs around when he goes out, then leash him for back yard. He is such a handsome boy, I'm sure he just sprained or bruised something. The rest will definitely help, and I would still continue the joint supplements, going forward.

:goodpost:! Good looking bulldog!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have nothing to add except Pumba is adorable!!

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Have you checked his paw pads Gracie was limping and I found sore on them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BillyTheBully

Nov 30, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Billy
Hi Maveledo,
we hope Pumba is on the mend now. We've had a similar issue with our Bulldog, Billy...did the 'bed rest' work for Pumba?
We're off to the vets tomorrow, but because he allows us to touch his whole leg, bend his paw etc, no apparent sign of any damage/cuts etc (we are very cautious when walking him) and is at times walking with no problem and jumping about quite happy, we are hopeful it won't be anything more than a bruise/sprain.
Thanks, Emma and Billy xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Maveledo,
we hope Pumba is on the mend now. We've had a similar issue with our Bulldog, Billy...did the 'bed rest' work for Pumba?
We're off to the vets tomorrow, but because he allows us to touch his whole leg, bend his paw etc, no apparent sign of any damage/cuts etc (we are very cautious when walking him) and is at times walking with no problem and jumping about quite happy, we are hopeful it won't be anything more than a bruise/sprain.
Thanks, Emma and Billy xx

sometimes when they allow you to touch or bend and they are walking with a limp.... a few days of rest does help heal the bruise/sprain, but if it as been longer, it is best to have him checke and x-ray done.

good luck and welcome to EBN!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my porkchop has done this and i have had her at vet so many times with x-rays and to be told they dont see anything wrong with it.. hers is in the back hip area and they have even checked for hip dysplasia an still nothing.. i noticed it more after we have been on longer walks so i try to limit those to far and give her a doggie aspirin when she has her bad days and yes the rest does help.. also my vet suggested to make sure her weight does not get to heavy for her.. she has never been to big but i do watch the treats so she doesn't .. just wish someone would watch my treats i eat.. lol.. good luck hope all is ok..

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Abbott has been doing Adequan shots and laser therapy after having something similar.They did x-rays and he has mild arthritis in his back knees he will be 3 in February.Having this done was the best decision ever he has improved so so much and doesn't limp anymore after playing or jumping around.We still try to monitor his craziness.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Mine would also limp after either playing rough with one another or jumping in the house. I started them on a joint support and that he really seemed to help. We also try to not let them jump off of the couch. But other than that I really think it's the supplement. I started giving mine Nupro Joint and Immunity Support. After about 2 weeks, I haven't seen either of them limp since. They really likes the flavor and it didn't upset Thor tummies. I just break up the daily serving between their meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We are having exactly the same problem with Winnie! She started limping a week ago today on her right front leg. We took her to the vet, who found a bruise in between her paw pads. She is not limping as badly now, but she still does limp, especially when she first gets up from a nap. Also, it's almost impossible to keep her from jumping up and down off of the couch and bed. We never crate her either, unless we leave the house, which is rare. At times she doesn't limp at all. I'm going to give her a couple more days and take her for an xRay if it's not cleared up, because it seems like a bruise should have cleared up by now. Keep us posted and I'll do the same!

BillyTheBully

Nov 30, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Billy
sometimes when they allow you to touch or bend and they are walking with a limp.... a few days of rest does help heal the bruise/sprain, but if it as been longer, it is best to have him checke and x-ray done.

good luck and welcome to EBN!

thanks 2BullyMama :) x

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.