Now hair falling out! Need ideas for questions for vet?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
& I'm ready to pull mine out! haha

I don't know if anyone remembers our story...issues w chronic UTI in last year & a half. Vet put her on Hills c/d in Feb as a last effort. No more UTI's but bad allergy issues this spring. Went to new vet in June who agreed to help w food transition. We transitioned her at the end of June to The Honest Kitchen Keen (not grain free, but THK rep said best for urinary issues) & started her on a probiotic and omega 3's. She had one hive flare up in early July & did a round of steroid. The new vet thought it was grass allergy issues bc grass pollens were peaked in our area at the time. After we finished steroids we started benadryl preventatively. We had done one follow up urine analysis at the end of July and all was well. I am doing dipsticks at home once a week and her pH is staying at 6. So - the UTI issue seems to be holding tight one THK.

She has been very itchy despite the prophylactic benadryl (2 morning & night). When I bathed her last week, a TON of hair came out. She now has marble sized thin/bald patches ALL over her body. She also had some red bumps all over her back ...not sure if they were hives. They seemed to have gone away since her bath. Anyone experienced this? She is still very itchy. Not sure if maybe a sensitivity to the food (turkey & potatoes both ingredients) or just seasonal allergies as we live surrounded by a large field with rag weed, etc. Any thoughts on what this reaction is? We have experience many positive changes with the food (her ears have cleared up, more energy, no vomiting in the morning, & most importantly no new UTIs). Im wondering if we don't need to push it a step further & try the grain free formula, but I am nervous with the UTI issues to do that since the food we are on is more designed with dogs w urinary issues.

We go to the vet on Thursday. She had a skin scraping in May for demodex which came back ok. She had mentioned putting her on a daily allergy med called Apoquel. She said sometimes the benadryl is like using a water hose to put out a forest fire & given where we live I think this is probably worth a try if it's environmental. I'm also going to ask her about allergy testing. Any other ideas about things we should try? I am going to take her the info on the NuVet. We didn't want to start too many things at once when we did the food change.

Sorry this is so long and rambling! Such is life w a 2 year old, 5 week old newborn, & problematic bully. ;)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You certainly have your hands full! I am not a food expert by any means, but I know that there are several dogs that can not handle potatoes in their food. Many vets are prescribing Apoquel for allergies, and so far it seems to be helping. I have heard that it is expensive. Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope you can find the solution.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Both of mine are on Apoquel right now. With one, I know it's seasonal and not the food. With the other, we had him allergy tested and he has a ton of environmental allergies.

The Apoquel should help. But I would probably have her allergy tested first just to confirm it's environmental, unless you know it's just seasonal.

Regarding Benadryl, it hasn't helped either one of mine with itching. I don't even bother with it for that.

Only thing is, I know one of the side effects of Apoquel can be excessive urination - so it can somehow affect the urinary tract. It doesn't sound like an issue, but something you should discuss with your vet considering her history.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the input so far on the apoquel. Our vet did mention that since it's fairly new for allergy use that the supply is sometimes an issue? I'm glad to hear there are others using it successfully.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I haven't had an issue yet, but I was only able to get it for the first time about 4 months ago.

I originally wanted it last year when it first came out but couldn't find it anywhere.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Ellie --- get an allergy test to confirm what you are dealing with. It could be more environmental than food related, especially since you have the UTI issue controlled, I would be hesitant to mess with food if you do not have to.

You can also call THK and inquire about a grain free option, just incase you do have to go that route.

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION]

You wrote....
"She has been very itchy despite the prophylactic benadryl (2 morning & night). When I bathed her last week, a TON of hair came out. She now has marble sized thin/bald patches ALL over her body. She also had some red bumps all over her back ...not sure if they were hives. They seemed to have gone away since her bath. Anyone experienced this? She is still very itchy. Not sure if maybe a sensitivity to the food (turkey & potatoes both ingredients) or just seasonal allergies as we live surrounded by a large field with rag weed, etc. Any thoughts on what this reaction is? We have experience many positive changes with the food (her ears have cleared up, more energy, no vomiting in the morning, & most importantly no new UTIs). Im wondering if we don't need to push it a step further & try the grain free formula, but I am nervous with the UTI issues to do that since the food we are on is more designed with dogs w urinary issues. "

Poor Penny! I just wanted to tell you that my boy Farley has had the hair loss,round bald spots and red bumps. I'll make this short for you, we ended up going to dermatologist and she put him on Apoquel while his allergy testing was being done. Turns out he has several environmental allergies. He is still on Apoquel which is helping him stay comfortable. Benadryl never really helped him either. He has now started allergy drops to help him out with his allergies.(It can take up to 3 yrs to work, I hear :( ...) I'm happy with the Apoquel though! Night and day! He was comfortable in 24 hrs and feeling like a new bully. I was told that the larger MG dosage is what is hard for the Vets to come by right now.

I'm thinking about trying THK on Farley now too. :) *LOL* Good luck with your Penny.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
& I'm ready to pull mine out! haha

I don't know if anyone remembers our story...issues w chronic UTI in last year & a half. Vet put her on Hills c/d in Feb as a last effort. No more UTI's but bad allergy issues this spring. Went to new vet in June who agreed to help w food transition. We transitioned her at the end of June to The Honest Kitchen Keen (not grain free, but THK rep said best for urinary issues) & started her on a probiotic and omega 3's. She had one hive flare up in early July & did a round of steroid. The new vet thought it was grass allergy issues bc grass pollens were peaked in our area at the time. After we finished steroids we started benadryl preventatively. We had done one follow up urine analysis at the end of July and all was well. I am doing dipsticks at home once a week and her pH is staying at 6. So - the UTI issue seems to be holding tight one THK.

She has been very itchy despite the prophylactic benadryl (2 morning & night). When I bathed her last week, a TON of hair came out. She now has marble sized thin/bald patches ALL over her body. She also had some red bumps all over her back ...not sure if they were hives. They seemed to have gone away since her bath. Anyone experienced this? She is still very itchy. Not sure if maybe a sensitivity to the food (turkey & potatoes both ingredients) or just seasonal allergies as we live surrounded by a large field with rag weed, etc. Any thoughts on what this reaction is? We have experience many positive changes with the food (her ears have cleared up, more energy, no vomiting in the morning, & most importantly no new UTIs). Im wondering if we don't need to push it a step further & try the grain free formula, but I am nervous with the UTI issues to do that since the food we are on is more designed with dogs w urinary issues.

We go to the vet on Thursday. She had a skin scraping in May for demodex which came back ok. She had mentioned putting her on a daily allergy med called Apoquel. She said sometimes the benadryl is like using a water hose to put out a forest fire & given where we live I think this is probably worth a try if it's environmental. I'm also going to ask her about allergy testing. Any other ideas about things we should try? I am going to take her the info on the NuVet. We didn't want to start too many things at once when we did the food change.

Sorry this is so long and rambling! Such is life w a 2 year old, 5 week old newborn, & problematic bully. ;)

I would certainly try the Apoquel and the Nuvet. She sure has had a rough go of it lately, you are probably ready to pull your hair out. The Nuvet is money back guarantee so if it doesn't work for her you send it back. Apoquel has been a life saver for many bulldogs with Allergies.

Look for example at the gorgeous boy Hershey, he is horrible allergies but he takes both of those and wow, he is gorgeous. He belongs to [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
one of my dogs has food allergies,, she did numerous rounds of shots, baths, you name it.. she scratched till she bled.. i cried over it.. she lost the hair on her tail due to the fact she would sit and spin to relieve the itch.. she is now better from changing her food to a limited ingredient, she cant have much at all but also my vet put her on apoquel and almost over night she is itch free.. shes a much happier dog.. this medicine is great.. may be something you can ask your vet about..

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the posts everyone!!! I'm encouraged. I'm hoping she gives us the Apoquel today! Will follow up after her appt. It's at 3:45 this afternoon.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I would certainly try the Apoquel and the Nuvet. She sure has had a rough go of it lately, you are probably ready to pull your hair out. The Nuvet is money back guarantee so if it doesn't work for her you send it back. Apoquel has been a life saver for many bulldogs with Allergies.

Look for example at the gorgeous boy Hershey, he is horrible allergies but he takes both of those and wow, he is gorgeous. He belongs to @Chumley

Yes Hershey is doing fantastic on Apoquel. Whenever I've tried to wean him off it he gets terrible allergic reactions of red welts all over his belly. It is still almost impossible to get so I still have to get it from his previous vet in Delaware. [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] picks it up and mails me every month. Don't know what I'm going to do if the vet stops prescribing. I would definitely recommend the Apoquel if you can get it

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Ok, so the vet redid bloodwork when we were there to recheck some levels that were slightly elevated in June. She wanted to see if they were ok to start the apoquel. She called today & my husband is going to pick it up after work. She is concerned because her creatitine (sp?) levels were on the high end of normal given her history with the UTI issues. It was 1.7 She said 1.6 is normal & she usually isn't concerned until it's over 2, but given her history we are going to do another urine analysis and she was going to check for a few more things. She said it's often an indicator of kidney disease. She said that sometimes allergy/skin issues that can lodge immune complexes in the kidneys and that it's irreversible if that's the case. Anyone hear of this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, so the vet redid bloodwork when we were there to recheck some levels that were slightly elevated in June. She wanted to see if they were ok to start the apoquel. She called today & my husband is going to pick it up after work. She is concerned because her creatitine (sp?) levels were on the high end of normal given her history with the UTI issues. It was 1.7 She said 1.6 is normal & she usually isn't concerned until it's over 2, but given her history we are going to do another urine analysis and she was going to check for a few more things. She said it's often an indicator of kidney disease. She said that sometimes allergy/skin issues that can lodge immune complexes in the kidneys and that it's irreversible if that's the case. Anyone hear of this?

I have not heard of this, but sending positive thoughts and prayers it is not the case

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Ok, so second UA came back ok for kidney issues. She was concentrating her urine which the vet was concerned about. When we talked she said she thought we were dealing w a bladder issue. However, the UA showed higher pH, trace blood & some struvites. She started us back on DL-Methionine and wanted a recheck. We went to the beach and Penny stayed with a family friend. The morning after we got home, she had an accident inside and when I checked her pH at home it was a 9. So, off we took a sample in and she indeed has another UTI (first one since Feb). She's back on an antibiotic and they were doing an in-house culture and then she is also sending out of a protein-creatinine ratio which she said would look for early kidney failure...which she said she wasn't concerned about last week.

I'm so frustrated! I feel so bad for her. It's like we just can't get ahead...it's allergies, a UTI, or both. In other news, she seems to be responding to the apoquel very well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.