Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does Your Vet Really Listen?

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Finding a good vet definitely takes time, way too much time.
    Even now, while I like the vet we've been seeing, I'm not exactly in love with the staff. The vet techs make me uncomfortable, they don't seem to really love animals.
    My previous vet has the best staff. From the people that pick up the phone, to the techs- they're just great. Problem is the actual vet..lol..

Good luck, I know it's frustrating.
    oh man, that's how mine is...LOVE the staff but the vet....!! in fact, April, one of the wonderful vet assistants just called me to see how Finn is doing. Just a simple phone call to follow-up...that's all i ask. Maybe it's the "norm" that the vet doesn't call? Am i too needy??

2. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Finding a good vet definitely takes time, way too much time.
    Even now, while I like the vet we've been seeing, I'm not exactly in love with the staff. The vet techs make me uncomfortable, they don't seem to really love animals.
    My previous vet has the best staff. From the people that pick up the phone, to the techs- they're just great. Problem is the actual vet..lol..

Good luck, I know it's frustrating.
    That's the EXACT same feeling I got with this new vet we are seeing. We walked in and the staff was AMAZING. They were falling head over heels for Goob, asked us all kinds of questions about him, and were telling us about their bully experiences. It was awesome! I couldn't wait to see the vet. Well...the vet was terrible. I told my husband "too bad the staff can't treat Goob in the vet's place." If the other vet at this clinic is anything like the one we saw, the search is on. A woman that works at my optometrist's office breeds and shows some sort of mastiff. She takes her dogs to this clinic but with the other vet I'm waiting to try. She loves him and had nothing but praise for him. We'll see.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

4. Likes nycbullymama, Texas Carol liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default !Re: Does Your Vet Really Listen?

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    oh man, that's how mine is...LOVE the staff but the vet....!! in fact, April, one of the wonderful vet assistants just called me to see how Finn is doing. Just a simple phone call to follow-up...that's all i ask. Maybe it's the "norm" that the vet doesn't call? Am i too needy??
    I wouldn't say needy, but to be honest, I've never had any vet (other than those we've seen at the veterinary hospital) ever call to follow-up. Would be nice though..

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    That's the EXACT same feeling I got with this new vet we are seeing. We walked in and the staff was AMAZING. They were falling head over heels for Goob, asked us all kinds of questions about him, and were telling us about their bully experiences. It was awesome! I couldn't wait to see the vet. Well...the vet was terrible. I told my husband "too bad the staff can't treat Goob in the vet's place." If the other vet at this clinic is anything like the one we saw, the search is on. A woman that works at my optometrist's office breeds and shows some sort of mastiff. She takes her dogs to this clinic but with the other vet I'm waiting to try. She loves him and had nothing but praise for him. We'll see.
    Good luck, hope you love him too

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    This thread is timely as I just switched Cami to a different Vet and was very pleased.
    He was very though in his exam (something most of the others weren't) even tho we
    were in there for a growth on her foot pad (dx *overgrowth of keratin). Come to find
    out, he has lots of bulldog clients (he specializes in horses/cows). Cami's former Vet
    seemed more interested in selling specialized foods, etc and pushed me to have TPLO
    on her when I thought she just needed rest & recovery, sure enough, it was injury that
    mended. He didn't seem to understand as a disabled widow, it was going to be difficult
    for me to come up w/ 6K (wanted to do other leg at same time) and I was very worried
    about recovery. He almost pushed me into doing it out of fear & guilt, am so glad it was
    injury that healed & Cami didn't have to go thru surgery & long recovery.
    @natski282...account of his Vet's office at time of Tilly's passing made my eyes wet...now
    that's what EVERY person & their beloveds DESERVE to have!
    Texas Carol The grief weight that what they did for Tilly and I and My Prettyone I can not express in words it had a truly amazing effect on us all, we still miss her something awful as do the rest of our dogs one still looks for her another sleeps now where she lied when she was sick ( Tilly always slept between the Prettyone and I on the bed lol we called her our birth control ) They are pretty amazing and were very lucky to have a vets office like we have .

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

As many of you know, I have had a HORRIBLE experience w/vets… that being said, I NOW have an amazing vet. First of all she owns a bulldog, which I think helps tremendously… and when I first started going there I noticed several bulldogs in the clinic. I DO believe it's important to understand the needs of bulldogs as a breed, it's also SUPER important to listen to your PATIENT (and in our case patients parents). Most dog owners bring their dogs in, pay, and then leave… whereas WE go in there fully informed (especially because of EBN) on our dog's issues. My vet actually listens to what I have to say, and we have an actual discussion and many times she will agree w/me on a treatment or an option. I also LOVE the fact that she will call/text me to see how Wallygator is doing after a surgery. I have her personal cell phone number on my phone in case of emergencies… you have NO idea how much I LOVE her!!! Lol

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

8. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, jenzaar liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post

No, Henny, you are not too needy, it's what you deserve to have.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

10. Likes 2BullyMama, cali baker liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

It's a little frustrating that so many of us face the same issues with our vets.
    Mine i found online as a good bulldog-knowing doctor. He seems to be and i trust him, but like so many of you say, not thorough. I feel like when i bring up, "Well people i know (i won't say bulldog fanatics i found on the internet ) who have bulldogs have had xyz happen, and this worked for them....," I usually feel pretty shrugged off. Not so much by him, but definitely his wife.

We haven't had much of anything serious happen yet, but i don't feel he was given a specific diagnosis or treatment because of an association with his breed, by anyone in the practice. I could be wrong haha, but i think so far we've been lucky that he's seen as an individual pup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads