Diarrhea and Bland Diet Question

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
So Bowser has been having diarrhea since late last night. I don't know what it could be since his diet hasn't changed at all. His schedule is also the same as far as feeding and when we take him out. He hasn't swallowed anything as far a I know because I keep I very close eye on him. He's also acting very normal and playful.

Anyway, I figure I should give him the bland diet and maybe some canned pumpkin. My question is how do I go about starting the bland diet? Should I do chicken or beef? How much protein to rice ratio should I do and how much should I feed him? Do o need to have him fast first? Also, should I give him the pumpkin right away or after his first bland mea? Sorry for so many questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So Bowser has been having diarrhea since late last night. I don't know what it could be since his diet hasn't changed at all. His schedule is also the same as far as feeding and when we take him out. He hasn't swallowed anything as far a I know because I keep I very close eye on him. He's also acting very normal and playful.

Anyway, I figure I should give him the bland diet and maybe some canned pumpkin. My question is how do I go about starting the bland diet? Should I do chicken or beef? How much protein to rice ratio should I do and how much should I feed him? Do o need to have him fast first? Also, should I give him the pumpkin right away or after his first bland mea? Sorry for so many questions.

You can do chicken or beef. If you go beef, just get something lean, not too fatty. Plain boiled rice, you can do a pinch of salt for some flavor. I do chicken, and then pour some of the chicken stock into the rice. I'd give him a good amount of chicken or beef. A cup or so, and then 1/2 cup of rice. The pumpkin will help when switching foods, but it may not help firm up his poop. Its actually used alot for constipation. I would hold off on that personally. Remember that with bland, you may need to feed a few more times a day, its not as filling as kibble. When I had Tyson on bland I'd feed him 4 smaller meals through the day vs the 2 he gets on kibble.

Do you give Bowser any pro-biotics? That could really help with his diarrhea, I recommend getting one with digestive enzymes in it. Since it just started give him a few days and see how he does, but if the diarrhea continues, you may want to swing by the vet for a stool sample & just confirm everything is ok.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thank you for the quick reply. Do I need to let him fast first or can I feed him his first bland meal at his next feeding, which is 4:00 pm est. And yes he does get a spoon of plain Greek yogurt every morning. Should I use regular yogurt?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for the quick reply. Do I need to let him fast first or can I feed him his first bland meal at his next feeding, which is 4:00 pm est. And yes he does get a spoon of plain Greek yogurt every morning. Should I use regular yogurt?

No, you don't need to fast - you can start him on his new meal. Greek Yogurt is fine, maybe locate one that has more active cultures... I use pill form.
Microflora.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
You have already received great advice from Jessica.

I'm giving my bully Tate a bland diet right now too; he's on chicken breast (boiled) and plain rice. I hope your boy Bowser gets well soon!

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Bowser hasn't poo'd since 9 am. I've fed him the bland diet for 2 meals now. I'm just a little worried because he usually goes after every meal.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Ok, he pooped solid this morning but it was very little. At least it was solid though. Should I go back to his kibble now or continue with his bland diet?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ok, he pooped solid this morning but it was very little. At least it was solid though.
Should I go back to his kibble now or continue with his bland diet?

Fabulous news! I'd stay with the bland diet another week, takes time to heal the gut. Update us :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, he pooped solid this morning but it was very little. At least it was solid though. Should I go back to his kibble now or continue with his bland diet?

I would stay with bland diet for at least a week. the poo is because of the system settling and would stay bland to make sure it doesn't go right back to liquid poo

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Ok, I'll stay bland. He is refusing to drink water now for some reason. He sniffs it, drinks like 2 licks and then stops.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, I'll stay bland. He is refusing to drink water now for some reason. He sniffs it, drinks like 2 licks and then stops.

try ice cubes

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

The bland contains alot more liquid (water from boiled chicken and rice) so totally normal for him to consume less water. Do not worry!

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Bowser is still on his bland food diet and he poos once a day and it is very little but at least it is solid. Should I feed him more often than kibble? I'm feeding him 3 times a day right now.

On a side note, I think I may switch him to raw when he gets better.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Bowser is still on his bland food diet and he poos once a day and it is very little but at least it is solid. Should I feed him more often than kibble? I'm feeding him 3 times a day right now.

On a side note, I think I may switch him to raw when he gets better.

That's wonderful! He's pooping less because he's eating bland. No fillers like kibble. You could add one more feeding (4th) if you feel he's hungry.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
So I've been feeding Bowser the bland diet for almost a week and his stools have improved and become solid. So I decided last night to start mixing in his kibble with the bland food to see if he was ready to switch back. Well today he's had 1 solid stool and 1 very soft, liquidy stool.

I don't know what it is because he's been on Fromm all stages since I brought him home. His first bag was the surf and turf and he is now on beef frittata. He finished half the bag of beef frittata already so I didn't think it was the switch in favor. I feed him 1 cup 3 times a day so I didn't think I was over feeding him.

I don't know what it could be and I don't want him to suffer through any more diarrhea. Should I just go to the vet in the morning?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.