Hives- not an emergancy- please answer still

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi all, Bentley had a hives scare last night. Poor guy was bitten up by ants and I took him to the ER. He was not in any danger but I didn't want to wait and find out. So my question is, How long do you see the bumps on your dog? The vet last night said that they would go down and I barley noticed them last night. He just has his second dose of Benadryl two hours ago and he was napping since. It looks like the bumps are back again.....

He should be fine right? He has been on Benadryl since last night and has had his two doses already today. I wouldn't be able to give him anymore until eight a.m.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not worry, My boys have had them a couple of times and they've gone down in about two days max. If his breathing is fine the bumbs don't usually bother them. My boy Usko had a massive out break once and even his face was all swollen, but he was OK in a couple of days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not worry, My boys have had them a couple of times and they've gone down in about two days max. If his breathing is fine the bumbs don't usually bother them. My boy Usko had a massive out break once and even his face was all swollen, but he was OK in a couple of days.

Totally agree ^^^^

Happen to my Banks twice her eyes were closed and breathing was impacted--- after ER visit he eyes opened up a little breathing back to normal but the hives lasted about 2 days

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
If my dogs have hives or swell up from a bug bite, I usually get a couple of shots from the vet. One is an antihistamine and the other is a steroid. The shots work faster than Benedryl pills, because their hives and swelling are gone the following day. The hives will go away with just the Benedryl, it will just take a bit longer. Hang in there, he'll be fine!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi all, Bentley had a hives scare last night. Poor guy was bitten up by ants and I took him to the ER. He was not in any danger but I didn't want to wait and find out. So my question is, How long do you see the bumps on your dog? The vet last night said that they would go down and I barley noticed them last night. He just has his second dose of Benadryl two hours ago and he was napping since. It looks like the bumps are back again.....

He should be fine right? He has been on Benadryl since last night and has had his two doses already today. I wouldn't be able to give him anymore until eight a.m.

hi Krista, I agree with the others, he will be fine in a day or two. If the vet gives him antihistamines or steroids they are stronger, so they would work faster, but the Benadryl will work as well. When Bulldozer had hives two summers ago, I don't know what caused them, but he woke up one morning with hives all over his body and legs, but no swelling of his face. I gave him Benadryl and kept an eye on him for swelling, or breathing problems. The hives went down at first, but came back the next day. It took 3 days for the hives to completely disappear. You know what caused the reaction, and the vet had assessed him, so I would give it 2 or 3 days and it should clear up and he will be fine. I know it's hard not to worry. I hope Bentley feels better soon. Sending hugs

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Martha got stung by a wasp,because she tries to catch them. She got caught. She was covered in hives, her face swelled up,her eyes swelled shut. Luckily I had prednisone
on hand from someone else's incident. I gave her a prednisone, and two benedryl, and luckily she had no breathing problem-or I would have rushed to the vet. The swelling went down after a few hours and there wasn't a spot on her without a hive. In two days they were all gone. I always keep some prednisone on hand.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
hi Krista, I agree with the others, he will be fine in a day or two. If the vet gives him antihistamines or steroids they are stronger, so they would work faster, but the Benadryl will work as well. When Bulldozer had hives two summers ago, I don't know what caused them, but he woke up one morning with hives all over his body and legs, but no swelling of his face. I gave him Benadryl and kept an eye on him for swelling, or breathing problems. The hives went down at first, but came back the next day. It took 3 days for the hives to completely disappear. You know what caused the reaction, and the vet had assessed him, so I would give it 2 or 3 days and it should clear up and he will be fine. I know it's hard not to worry. I hope Bentley feels better soon. Sending hugs

I'm really glad for all of you! I feel like I could post twenty forums at once for all of your knowledge! It is good to know that I can care of hives with Benadryl at home if they ever happen again. Hopefully not. It was just weird, I thought I was seeing them again last night..... Did I ever say I should not have human children? lol. I joke about it sometimes!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Martha got stung by a wasp,because she tries to catch them. She got caught. She was covered in hives, her face swelled up,her eyes swelled shut. Luckily I had prednisone
on hand from someone else's incident. I gave her a prednisone, and two benedryl, and luckily she had no breathing problem-or I would have rushed to the vet. The swelling went down after a few hours and there wasn't a spot on her without a hive. In two days they were all gone. I always keep some prednisone on hand.

Do you recommend prednisone then? Bentley's my first bully. I'm confident in caring for him except for all of the extra stuff, once in a while!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
So I didn't mention that the Benadryl is making Bentley high...... I started a new forum to talk about it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online