Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default Hives- not an emergancy- please answer still

Hi all, Bentley had a hives scare last night. Poor guy was bitten up by ants and I took him to the ER. He was not in any danger but I didn't want to wait and find out. So my question is, How long do you see the bumps on your dog? The vet last night said that they would go down and I barley noticed them last night. He just has his second dose of Benadryl two hours ago and he was napping since. It looks like the bumps are back again.....

He should be fine right? He has been on Benadryl since last night and has had his two doses already today. I wouldn't be able to give him anymore until eight a.m.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hives- not an emergancy- please answer still

I would not worry, My boys have had them a couple of times and they've gone down in about two days max. If his breathing is fine the bumbs don't usually bother them. My boy Usko had a massive out break once and even his face was all swollen, but he was OK in a couple of days.

3. Likes 2BullyMama, Vikinggirl, KristaB026 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I would not worry, My boys have had them a couple of times and they've gone down in about two days max. If his breathing is fine the bumbs don't usually bother them. My boy Usko had a massive out break once and even his face was all swollen, but he was OK in a couple of days.
    Totally agree ^^^^

Happen to my Banks twice her eyes were closed and breathing was impacted--- after ER visit he eyes opened up a little breathing back to normal but the hives lasted about 2 days
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

If my dogs have hives or swell up from a bug bite, I usually get a couple of shots from the vet. One is an antihistamine and the other is a steroid. The shots work faster than Benedryl pills, because their hives and swelling are gone the following day. The hives will go away with just the Benedryl, it will just take a bit longer. Hang in there, he'll be fine!

6. Likes KristaB026 liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KristaB026 View Post
    Hi all, Bentley had a hives scare last night. Poor guy was bitten up by ants and I took him to the ER. He was not in any danger but I didn't want to wait and find out. So my question is, How long do you see the bumps on your dog? The vet last night said that they would go down and I barley noticed them last night. He just has his second dose of Benadryl two hours ago and he was napping since. It looks like the bumps are back again.....

He should be fine right? He has been on Benadryl since last night and has had his two doses already today. I wouldn't be able to give him anymore until eight a.m.
    hi Krista, I agree with the others, he will be fine in a day or two. If the vet gives him antihistamines or steroids they are stronger, so they would work faster, but the Benadryl will work as well. When Bulldozer had hives two summers ago, I don't know what caused them, but he woke up one morning with hives all over his body and legs, but no swelling of his face. I gave him Benadryl and kept an eye on him for swelling, or breathing problems. The hives went down at first, but came back the next day. It took 3 days for the hives to completely disappear. You know what caused the reaction, and the vet had assessed him, so I would give it 2 or 3 days and it should clear up and he will be fine. I know it's hard not to worry. I hope Bentley feels better soon. Sending hugs
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

8. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Martha got stung by a wasp,because she tries to catch them. She got caught. She was covered in hives, her face swelled up,her eyes swelled shut. Luckily I had prednisone
    on hand from someone else's incident. I gave her a prednisone, and two benedryl, and luckily she had no breathing problem-or I would have rushed to the vet. The swelling went down after a few hours and there wasn't a spot on her without a hive. In two days they were all gone. I always keep some prednisone on hand.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

10. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member KristaB026's Avatar
    Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    hi Krista, I agree with the others, he will be fine in a day or two. If the vet gives him antihistamines or steroids they are stronger, so they would work faster, but the Benadryl will work as well. When Bulldozer had hives two summers ago, I don't know what caused them, but he woke up one morning with hives all over his body and legs, but no swelling of his face. I gave him Benadryl and kept an eye on him for swelling, or breathing problems. The hives went down at first, but came back the next day. It took 3 days for the hives to completely disappear. You know what caused the reaction, and the vet had assessed him, so I would give it 2 or 3 days and it should clear up and he will be fine. I know it's hard not to worry. I hope Bentley feels better soon. Sending hugs

I'm really glad for all of you! I feel like I could post twenty forums at once for all of your knowledge! It is good to know that I can care of hives with Benadryl at home if they ever happen again. Hopefully not. It was just weird, I thought I was seeing them again last night..... Did I ever say I should not have human children? lol. I joke about it sometimes!

12. Likes Vikinggirl, TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Martha got stung by a wasp,because she tries to catch them. She got caught. She was covered in hives, her face swelled up,her eyes swelled shut. Luckily I had prednisone
    on hand from someone else's incident. I gave her a prednisone, and two benedryl, and luckily she had no breathing problem-or I would have rushed to the vet. The swelling went down after a few hours and there wasn't a spot on her without a hive. In two days they were all gone. I always keep some prednisone on hand.

Do you recommend prednisone then? Bentley's my first bully. I'm confident in caring for him except for all of the extra stuff, once in a while!

Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

So I didn't mention that the Benadryl is making Bentley high...... I started a new forum to talk about it!

Remove Ads