cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks. I will call the vet's office this afternoon. I almost called in sick today b/c I just wanted to stay home with him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh NO… I was so hoping to hear he was on the mend. I would say add pumpkin to firm him up, but I would check w/the vets to see if that would make things worse. Do they think this is a stomach virus or something else like a parasite?!! I'm so sorry… I'm praying :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Damn, damn, damn, like everyone said, call Vet ;(

Praying right now, Honey, and hoping cause is found
asap!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh NO… I was so hoping to hear he was on the mend. I would say add pumpkin to firm him up, but I would check w/the vets to see if that would make things worse. Do they think this is a stomach virus or something else like a parasite?!! I'm so sorry… I'm praying :pray:

they did a test and it didn't show any parasites or anything out of the ordinary. The vet says to just continue w/the bland diet and the medication, and that it would be okay if I do want to give him some pumpkin mixed into the food. She was also saying something like the canned ID food I went home with might be better for him than my homemade food (??) Anyone want to give me feedback on that? Maybe b/c it contains ingredients that are made for a dog's digestion?? I don't know. I actually didn't speak to the vet herself but to the vet asst who relayed all my questions to vet.
She also said it could be 5-7 days until full improvement is seen.

I'm thinking I just want to keep him on the chicken/rice/broth diet and not add pumpkin for the time being. If he's still showing blood in the poo on Wed which is when his flagyl treatment ends, I will need to call them again.

Thanks again everyone.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it's safe to say that you as his mom have to go on your gut feeling. I think @ddnene suggestion about the pumpkin is really good advice. I would try that out before I would give him that canned food but that's just me. With that length of time I wonder if it would be a good idea to get a second opinion if there is still blood by Wednesday by a completely different vets practice. I'm praying big for Tate. XO

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it's safe to say that you as his mom have to go on your gut feeling. I think @ddnene suggestion about the pumpkin is really good advice. I would try that out before I would give him that canned food but that's just me. With that length of time I wonder if it would be a good idea to get a second opinion if there is still blood by Wednesday by a completely different vets practice. I'm praying big for Tate. XO

Yes, have been thinking more about the pumpkin and also reading that this might be easier on the stomach than rice (?) I might give him some of this and less rice with the chicken.

I had been thinking of a new vet for some time actually. This vet I'm seeing now was considering prolonging his flagyl if he still has diarrhea but I really don't want that b/c I'd like to know what the underlying cause is or if trying something different might be beneficial. My head is rather foggy right now :(

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, have been thinking more about the pumpkin and also reading that this might be easier on the stomach than rice (?) I might give him some of this and less rice with the chicken.

I had been thinking of a new vet for some time actually. This vet I'm seeing now was considering prolonging his flagyl if he still has diarrhea but I really don't want that b/c I'd like to know what the underlying cause is or if trying something different might be beneficial. My head is rather foggy right now :(

I beat it is, don't worry you'll get to the bottom of this one way or another. Tate's a strong guy. :yes:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
they did a test and it didn't show any parasites or anything out of the ordinary. The vet says to just continue w/the bland diet and the medication, and that it would be okay if I do want to give him some pumpkin mixed into the food. She was also saying something like the canned ID food I went home with might be better for him than my homemade food (??) Anyone want to give me feedback on that? Maybe b/c it contains ingredients that are made for a dog's digestion?? I don't know. I actually didn't speak to the vet herself but to the vet asst who relayed all my questions to vet.
She also said it could be 5-7 days until full improvement is seen.

I'm thinking I just want to keep him on the chicken/rice/broth diet and not add pumpkin for the time being. If he's still showing blood in the poo on Wed which is when his flagyl treatment ends, I will need to call them again.

Thanks again everyone.

Did they test him for giardia?!! (sp?!!) That can cause bloody/mucous stools… I'm not trying to add more worry, just thinking out loud!!! Lol

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Did they test him for giardia?!! (sp?!!) That can cause bloody/mucous stools… I'm not trying to add more worry, just thinking out loud!!! Lol

the fecal test didn't show parasites; the medication he's on, flagyl, is used to treat giardia as well as other bugs and irritable bowel so I'm hoping it will help whatever Tate has.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just reading read this now. Fingers crossed tomorrows poop is solid and BROWN! I went through this with Wellie after his surgery, not fun.

(I'm eating grilled Tuna as I'm reading about bloody poo. Goes to show how nothing fazes us with these Bullies anymore).

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just reading read this now. Fingers crossed tomorrows poop is solid and BROWN! I went through this with Wellie after his surgery, not fun.

(I'm eating grilled Tuna as I'm reading about bloody poo. Goes to show how nothing fazes us with these Bullies anymore).

haha!! I know, we're all immune to what the general public would think of as "gross!"

how long did it take before Wellie's poop cleared up? did he also have some blood in it?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
haha!! I know, we're all immune to what the general public would think of as "gross!"

how long did it take before Wellie's poop cleared up? did he also have some blood in it?

He had a lot of blood in it. It started as regular diarrhea then progressed into very bloody diarrhea.
He had it for about about two days. Once he started the metronidazole, it cleared up pretty fast. But he bled every 1-2 hours. We couldn't get him out fast enough.

here's my thread from a year ago http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...bloody-diarrhea-swear-im-close-breakdown.html

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh wow, very scary, [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]!

The first day of Tate's episode there was no blood but a lot of very soft poop, that's why I thought it was a reaction from the strawberry sundae the night before. But then later that day when I came home and there about 2 more piles with the blood interspersed throughout, that's when I went into a frantic mode. Since then he's only been going either once or twice a day, not like he's runny or has a sense of urgency. Hopefully whatever he has is slowing down and whatever that has been irritating his GI is getting released.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh wow, very scary, @nycbullymama!

The first day of Tate's episode there was no blood but a lot of very soft poop, that's why I thought it was a reaction from the strawberry sundae the night before. But then later that day when I came home and there about 2 more piles with the blood interspersed throughout, that's when I went into a frantic mode. Since then he's only been going either once or twice a day, not like he's runny or has a sense of urgency. Hopefully whatever he has is slowing down and whatever that has been irritating his GI is getting released.

Yeah, somethings definitely upset his system.
It is scary, but apparently not all that uncommon. Fingers crossed it clears up quick!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.