cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This week has been a humdinger. I don't even know really know what that means but i have no more energy to think of anything creative or witty.

Tonight I come home from work (TGIF!), only to be welcomed by a dining room floor with several piles of diarrhea with blood in it. Panic time!!! It's around 5:15pm and as I'm cleaning up I'm also thinking I need to call the vet before they close (at 6pm) to get Tate seen on Saturday. I'm frantically cleaning the poop (and pee), trying to call the vet with my "clean" hand, and thankfully, the vet asst. tells me to bring Tate in tonight. I get my little poop sample bagged up and off Tate and I go (by this time I've huddled Finn up into my bedroom and told him to behave himself while we're out).

at the vet's , Tate is his usual jolly self, doesn't look a bit sick or lethargic. The vet examines him and I explain that I treated the boys to a McD's strawberry sundae yesterday and that's the only thing different that i've fed them. They've both had McD's ice cream before but never the strawberry sundae so who knows if that's even related...
The vet prescribes him flagyl (metronidazole) and he's to be on a bland diet until his diarrhea resolves. I'll get the fecal test results tomorrow.

I hope this diarrhea and the blood will resolve. Diarrhea by itself I can handle, it's when there's blood mixed that causes my mind to start thinking wild and scary thoughts! (like hemorrhagic gastroenteritis that Bertha Bacon endured several months ago)
he's resting very well right now, snoring beside me. :luv: Please keep Tate in your thoughts b/c i worry about him so much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending positive thoughts and prayers!! I hope the blood was really the strawberries and he is doing better?

Did Finn behave while you were gone?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sending positive thoughts and prayers!! I hope the blood was really the strawberries and he is doing better?

Did Finn behave while you were gone?

This a.m. he still has the diarrhea and it was still bloody; then he went a 2nd time and it was mostly blood. I'm pretty worried right now. He slept well thru the night and i haven't offered him any food yet. He's sitting in bed with me.

Finn made a mess of his own when i got home but at least there was no diarrhea.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sorry to read about this.I hope Tate will be better very soon. We all get scared with things like this! Prayers that it is not serious-but to us, everything is serious. :assurred:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate's fecal test didn't show anything except for "non pathogenic yeast". I had to look that up: (from Vippetcare dot com)

[FONT=Cabin, sans-serif]This yeast inhabits the intestines and is considered “good yeast”; it is not harmful for your pet. When this yeast is present it usually signifies that something else is going on with the dog. This appears most commonly when a dog has diarrhea, is on an antibiotic, or experiences a change in food or has been given human food. There is no treatment necessary as this will pass through on its own.[/FONT]

[FONT=Cabin, sans-serif]He still has a good appetite. The vet sent me home last night with a can of ID canned food which i mixed a tablespoon with plain white steamed rice. He gobbled that up! but today I poached some chicken breast for him and saved the broth. I gave him a little bit of the chicken and he was so hungry, plus a bowl of broth and he licked [/FONT][FONT=Cabin, sans-serif]the bowl clean. So at least i know he has appetite still. He's definitely slower today but that's to be expected with all that he's passed and the little amount of food he's been eating. I'm still waiting to hear back again from the vet's office if there's anything else to do for him right now or just monitor and hope the flagyl will help and he won't have anymore blood in the stool.

Thanks everyone for all your well wishes!
[/FONT]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usually if the blood is bright red it only from the rectal area caused by the strong liquid poo, I never worry about that...think I've had it my self at some point...:blush2: sorry too much information....

Hopefully Tate heals quickly...

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Usually if the blood is bright red it only from the rectal area caused by the strong liquid poo, I never worry about that...think I've had it my self at some point...:blush2: sorry too much information....

Hopefully Tate heals quickly...

Never TMI here, [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]! ;)

I sure hope it's nothing serious. I would be concerned if he was not eating and vomiting and just laying around. But he looks relatively "normal". Hoping this will resolve very soon and I thanku for the encouragement.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
awe no, poor Tate! I was just thinking about him this morning looking at the calendar and thinking I need to relax more. I hope the meds kick in this afternoon and all goes back to normal, I'm really happy to see that the test didn't come back with anything. Please give the Pasadena brawler a big hug from us.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Gosh I'm so sorry Henny… I hope that Tate feels better soon. Goodness it is never ending for you lately :(

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor Tate and poor you - you have definitely had a humdinger of a couple of weeks! I am hoping that it nothing serious with Tate and just some sort of minor gastric distress. Can dogs get hemorrhoids? Keeping you and Tate and Finn in my thoughts.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just seeing this! Poor Tate, I am praying for him. Hope it's nothing bad & he's feeling better soon. Please keep us posted. Tate we love you buddy.
Tyson got that same med when he was having diarrhea & it helped. I'm sure he'll be better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
Hope your boy Tate is feeling better each and every day! It is so scary having our babies not feel well. Sounds like he is getting the right treatment and will be better in no time. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.