New Here! My boy is having soft palate surgery today!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Would we keep it at 3/4 cups over the day? I will have to grab some more ingredients today. We are low on both of these.
And do I shred the chicken?

Feed him the full two or three cups for the day, but the first feeding should be broken up so you know how his belly is doing. They sometimes will vomit if they eat too much or too fast and you do not want that. Shred or break/cut into small pieces

OP
R

Rebecca Giardina

Aug 7, 2015
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
GusGus
So since having a small breakfast and finally getting a potty break (the vet said to keep him indoors, but I figured going in the yard for toilet time was ok?) he seems pretty much back to himself already! I expect the scratchy sounding breathing will last atleast a handful of days, but it's amazing. He is breathing from his nose every so often which he has never done before!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier… and the gang had you covered anyway. I'm so glad to hear that Gus is doing so well, my Wally had this done earlier this year and it made a HUGE difference for him. I hope that Gus continues to heal over the next few days…

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
GusGus so Happy you are doing Great. Kisses and Hugs to you Sweet Heart.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I cut up chicken breast in small pieces and boiled that and then mixed with rice that I had cooked with plenty of water. Castor got small portions of that "soup" several times a day - a couple of spoonfuls or so.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So glad to hear that Gus is doing well after his surgery! I am sorry I missed this earlier. Frank had surgery to shorten his soft palate, trim saccules, and enlarge his nostrils last year. You have been given good advice on what to do to help his recovery. Definitely calm and cool and the bland diet is great. We do either cooked rice and chicken or rice and plain cooked ground beef.

I am sending best wishes for Gus' speedy recovery!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking back on GusGus, glad to hear he's doing well :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So since having a small breakfast and finally getting a potty break (the vet said to keep him indoors, but I figured going in the yard for toilet time was ok?) he seems pretty much back to himself already! I expect the scratchy sounding breathing will last atleast a handful of days, but it's amazing. He is breathing from his nose every so often which he has never done before!

yes, leashed potty breaks ,,,, no running or forced exercise for a couple weeks

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
to be honest, if he eats more rice than chicken or more chicken than rice in the next few days it doesn't really matter as long as his tummy is lined and he is well-rested. You can make the appropriate ratios in the upcoming days. even two weeks with the bland diet is ok while he is healing :)

After Lolas surgery we let her sleep on our bed nightly, mostly so we could monitor her breathing. She's slept on big bed (our bed) ever since *grin*

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.