Farley's allergy test results

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
I received an email today from the vet on Farley's test results. I've been waiting a month to find out what he may be allergic to.

This is what she wrote me:

trees: Pine, Elm
grasses: Johnson
weeds: Dandelion, Lambsquarter, Russian thistle, Cocklebur, Clover
cat dander, sheep wool
D. farinae ( Dust Mites
Aspergillus, a mold

Poor boy!! We live in SE Texas. We are surrounded by pine trees!*lol* I guess a cat is out of my future too. My husband wont complain about that, he is allergic to cats too.*lol*

I went ahead and asked to proceed with allergy drops. So she is ordering them and we will continue the Apoquel while he starts drops. So far the Apoquel is keeping him comfortable, he does seem to get a little itchy about 1 1/2 hrs before his next dose. Overall I am very pleased with this drug. Unfortunately the vet set a letter out that the 16 mg pill is hard to get right now and if their stock dwindles then they will have to refill meds with other mg tabs as necessary ( Which will raise the RX price if that happens)

That's all to report for now! I just wanted to share in case this helps other EBN members. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Farley! Glad the Apoquel gives him some relief. This is a rough summer for everyone.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awww, Jenny, that so sucks, very glad Apoquel is helpful.

Let us know how the shots work out for him so as to help
other bullies here.

Allergies are bad everywhere this year!

Give Farley Foo lots of snuggles from me, are y'all doing
well? Love to all :)

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks for sharing this! We're having tests done at the end of the month...did they do food allergies as well? I'm pretty sure Bass has environmental allergies, his nose runs when we play in the grass...but I have no idea on what food ingredient is causing allergies. Can't wait to find out. One month for the results?! That's a long time!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We also did allergy testing and have similar results- various types of trees, grass, dust mites, etc.

And we've also been doing immunotherapy for about a year now, the drops twice a day. This season has been so bad we added Apoquel.
I really want to take him off though since Apoquel does suppress the immune system somewhat so it works against the immunotherapy - which is supposed to get his immune system used to the allergens in the drops.

It's so difficult with these guys :(

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Awww, Jenny, that so sucks, very glad Apoquel is helpful.

Let us know how the shots work out for him so as to help
other bullies here.

Allergies are bad everywhere this year!

Give Farley Foo lots of snuggles from me, are y'all doing
well? Love to all :)

[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]

Yes, they have been bad this year! We are doing well though considering, the Apoquel really has done wonders for my Farley Foo. He isn't grumpy anymore and seems very happy and energetic for him.*lol* I hope you are doing well also. I'll keep you all posted on things as they happen.

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for sharing this! We're having tests done at the end of the month...did they do food allergies as well? I'm pretty sure Bass has environmental allergies, his nose runs when we play in the grass...but I have no idea on what food ingredient is causing allergies. Can't wait to find out. One month for the results?! That's a long time!
[MENTION=10681]Laurie[/MENTION]~ Yes one month is a LONG time when you are ready to find out.*lol* I don't know if she did food allergies.( I did request copy of test results) I asked the day of the consult if the allergy test would help me with his food allergies. She just told me that it wouldn't be a very accurate result. She highly recommends the food trial/elimination diet. As of now Farley has been on Halo Vegan Garden Medley for 6 months I believe. It did actually help with the hot spots he was getting. The vet said it is a good food and I can try adding in a small amount of meat protein when he starts his allergy drops. She mentioned that I just need to watch for a reaction. He will have one if it doesn't agree with him but shouldn't be as bad while on Apoquel and allergy drops. Or I can just keep him on the Vegan she said. I'm still trying to decide if I want to rock that boat right now...*LOL*
Good luck with BASS! Please share your results when you find out. I find this interesting. :)

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We also did allergy testing and have similar results- various types of trees, grass, dust mites, etc.

And we've also been doing immunotherapy for about a year now, the drops twice a day. This season has been so bad we added Apoquel.
I really want to take him off though since Apoquel does suppress the immune system somewhat so it works against the immunotherapy - which is supposed to get his immune system used to the allergens in the drops.

It's so difficult with these guys :(

[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]~ Yes, it is difficult isn't it. Experimenting and trial and error it seems it never ends. I do hope we can stop the Apoquel once the drops start working. However I was advised it could take 6 months to a year!! And we may have to use Apoquel as needed for bad seasonal episodes. Oh the things we do to make our babies comfortable. Good luck with your baby too!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It can take longer than a year for allergy drops/shots to kick in as it is very similar to human allergy treatments. You have to build up the tolerance and immunity slowly else there will be constant negative reactions. I have a friend with a boxer that is doing the drops and they have been doing it for 3 years now and are finally starting the maintenance mode and starting to cut back on how often they get the drops. Regardless of that I hope all works out and your baby gets some relief.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a list ... My girl was allergic to a lot of 'green' to pretty much all grasses--- i wiped her down with a cool wash cloth after each outing-- and a big thing too --- no shies on in house... You track the allergens all over when you do that.

Also if allergic to dust mites ... Then dry kibble can be an issue due to storage mites. :eek:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Chumly had the injections once a week. He too was allergic to wool and cats among other things! He was an awful mess when we got him and it wasn't until we moved here that we got him straightened out to where he had a decent quality of life. It did take a while for them to kick in but it made a huge difference. He would still have flare-ups once or twice a year during heavy pollen seasons which necessitated a trip to the dermatologist but on the whole he was a different dog.

At the moment I am trying to deal with Monty's goopy eyes and itchy feet. :( Ugh! is it the food, environmental? Who knows! It all just flared up again recently so I am on the hunt for another food.... again. Going to try Earthborn Holistic next.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.