ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I agree w/the gang… you need to have Max seen by a reputable bully vet. Please keep us posted...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
C

cmelledge

Jul 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Took Max in yesterday to his vet. Dr. Kelly McKee and found out she is a graduate of University of Georgia .Myself and my wife and Dr. Kelly all discussed Max's problem and she asked us to leave Max for a few hours. She would give him a small amount to eat and drink and keep a eye on him. Also had his nail trimmed , anal sac expression, internal parasites exam, Parvo Vaccine, Distemper Vaccine and Rabies Vaccine.
Everything checks out normal. Skin and coat ok. Eyes ok. Ears ok. Nose and throat ok. Mouth, teeth and gums all ok. Musculoskeletal ok. Heart Normal rate and rhythm ok. Lungs ok and Gastrointestinal ok. Did several x-rays.

No small esophagus or Mega Esophagus but evidence of a elongated pallet
She told us to try Pepcid after each meal(20mg). And a Xanex twice a day. Watch him for 1 week and call or bring him back in.
I really did not get any good news and I don't feel any better. I think there is something else going on.Mike IMG_0254.JPG

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Took Max in yesterday to his vet. Dr. Kelly McKee and found out she is a graduate of University of Georgia .Myself and my wife and Dr. Kelly all discussed Max's problem and she asked us to leave Max for a few hours. She would give him a small amount to eat and drink and keep a eye on him. Also had his nail trimmed , anal sac expression, internal parasites exam, Parvo Vaccine, Distemper Vaccine and Rabies Vaccine.
Everything checks out normal. Skin and coat ok. Eyes ok. Ears ok. Nose and throat ok. Mouth, teeth and gums all ok. Musculoskeletal ok. Heart Normal rate and rhythm ok. Lungs ok and Gastrointestinal ok. Did several x-rays.

No small esophagus or Mega Esophagus but evidence of a elongated pallet
She told us to try Pepcid after each meal(20mg). And a Xanex twice a day. Watch him for 1 week and call or bring him back in.
I really did not get any good news and I don't feel any better. I think there is something else going on.MikeView attachment 89765

So today is day one of what she is suggesting? Did she mention anything about reducing the palate?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gosh he's good looking, I bet she loved him too being he looks like he's part of UGA's clan!

I understand the Pepcid but what did she prescribe the Xanex for?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking in on handsome Max, just read about Vet visit.

Please update us on how Max does with Pecid/Zanax.

Praying for y'all.

DennisD

Sep 10, 2014
Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Mae
There's a bully in our rescue who does the same thing. Diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Meds have seemed to help. He's much better. I'm not sure what med the vet is giving him. Strongly suggest you have Max examined by a vet well versed in our English fur babies. Good luck.

OP
C

cmelledge

Jul 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Truthfully Max does not seem to be any better.. I read a post by a couple in Japan in the military with a Bulldog with the same problems. Throwing up food and water and trouble breathing and they had the elongated palette surgery done. Said GusGus is much much better. I guess this is our next step. Mike

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Truthfully Max does not seem to be any better.. I read a post by a couple in Japan in the military with a Bulldog with the same problems. Throwing up food and water and trouble breathing and they had the elongated palette surgery done. Said GusGus is much much better. I guess this is our next step. Mike

do you have a knowledgeable bulldog vet? or a vet with experience in the flat-faced dogs?

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Checking in on Max, so sorry he's not better :(

Continued prayers for correct dx & effective treatment.

Thank you for updating us, please continue doing so!

Sending big hugs to all <3

OP
C

cmelledge

Jul 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
She has a certificate from University Of Georgia in Veterinary Medical School so yes I assume she is qualified. Mike

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sorry to hear that Max isn't any better. I think what Christine meant was, most vets do not have bulldog experience and it makes a difference. Especially if your bully needs surgery. There is a different kind of anesthesia they use for bulldogs because of their compromised breathing, and they are monitored differently after surgery because they can have severe swelling due in their airway to being intubated for surgery. This isn't a slight on your vet, I'm sure she is board certified and a good vet, you may just want to discuss with her the things I mentioned. Good luck to you and Max and please update when you can on how he is.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm sorry to hear that Max isn't any better. I think what Christine meant was, most vets do not have bulldog experience and it makes a difference. Especially if your bully needs surgery. There is a different kind of anesthesia they use for bulldogs because of their compromised breathing, and they are monitored differently after surgery because they can have severe swelling due in their airway to being intubated for surgery. This isn't a slight on your vet, I'm sure she is board certified and a good vet, you may just want to discuss with her the things I mentioned. Good luck to you and Max and please update when you can on how he is.

Rosalie makes a very valid point. I experienced this first hand and almost lost Tyson last year. This particular vet & his tech weren't very familiar w the breed, and Tyson went into respiratory failure.

Flash forward 2nd surgery he had to have in Jan. this time with a vet & staff super experienced with Bulldogs, he did amazing, no issues, and was able to go home the same day. It's unbelievable the difference experience can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She has a certificate from University Of Georgia in Veterinary Medical School so yes I assume she is qualified. Mike

So often on EBN, experience saves one of these precious bully's life. Nothing against your
Vet at all and hopefully she's got it all going on!

My 1st bulldog, Brutus, died just after dental surgery, came to just fine but died in recovery,
in his cage. I believe if he'd been left intubated and in surgery room a bit longer, when he went
into distress they might could have saved him. A friend of mine's Vet, does this with ALL of her
flat nosed patients and they've saved many just because of this ONE thing she does. One more
thing I learned in researching his death, some antibiotics are hard on their hearts, he was given
antibiotics during surgery, now, I would ask them to give LATER, after surgery. Only experience,
knowledge, dedication, taking each death personally & LOVE for what you do & for your patients,
all this and much more make the difference (sometimes) between life or death.

May God bless your Max & his Vet Team!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online