Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 30

Thread: chin acne? or more severe problem?

  1. #1

    Default chin acne? or more severe problem?

    -murphy-zits-jpghi all,
    murphy is abput 15 months old and he has all of a sudden developed these large red sores and bumps on his chin and muzzle. We recently switched his protien source from lanb to chicken and I am thinking its an allergic reaction of sorts. He use to be on purina pro plan lamb and rice but we made the change to chicken because of soft stools. I have just started to switch him back to the lamb. Am I over reacting?

  2. #2

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    thats what I meant to do in the original post

  3. #3
    ..........
    Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,495
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    It is quite possibly exactly what you are thinking. Check out the food rating link. Many of the members have had excellent results with allergy control switching to better food.
    Our Princess is eating Fromm Beef Fritatta because she was having trouble with a rash causing itching and sores on her legs and gooey eyes in the morning. Since the switch to the no chicken or grain Beef Fritatta she is much improved.

  4. #4
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    It could be the protien source, or the brand of food. Chicken & Lamb both are high allergy proteins.

    Low grade dog foods change their protein sources constantly, so no two bags are the same. Purina is an awful dog food, especially for a bulldog. Unless you learn more about dog food, you could have no idea- because they market their food and tell you how wonderful it is. But I am on a personal mission to teach dog lovers to feed good dog food- you will be amazed at the difference in your dog. Not only the food, but the treats and snacks are important too.

    Please check out this topic, it sheds some light about why I don't like purina, because I don't want you to feel like I am being bossy or trying to force you to do anything. The main ingredient is Corn, so basically you are feeding your dog mostly corn everyday. Then they also list Corn Glueten meal, which means more corn in a different form. Then Soybean meal, a cheap way to put protein in dog food. Well, I will stop there and let you read the topic: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-dog-food.html

    Here is the dog food ratings. Also these are our recommended dog foods but there are many other great choices, those are just our personal choices.

    Also, do you use plastic, ceramic, or stainless for a food dish?

    Your bully is adorable, lets get him all better!

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  5. #5

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    It could be the protien source, or the brand of food. Chicken & Lamb both are high allergy proteins.

    Low grade dog foods change their protein sources constantly, so no two bags are the same. Purina is an awful dog food, especially for a bulldog. Unless you learn more about dog food, you could have no idea- because they market their food and tell you how wonderful it is. But I am on a personal mission to teach dog lovers to feed good dog food- you will be amazed at the difference in your dog. Not only the food, but the treats and snacks are important too.

    Please check out this topic, it sheds some light about why I don't like purina, because I don't want you to feel like I am being bossy or trying to force you to do anything. The main ingredient is Corn, so basically you are feeding your dog mostly corn everyday. Then they also list Corn Glueten meal, which means more corn in a different form. Then Soybean meal, a cheap way to put protein in dog food. Well, I will stop there and let you read the topic: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-dog-food.html

    Here is the dog food ratings. Also these are our recommended dog foods but there are many other great choices, those are just our personal choices.

    Also, do you use plastic, ceramic, or stainless for a food dish?

    Your bully is adorable, lets get him all better!
    Thanks, murph has been an absolute joy and I'm just trying to do everything i can to get him as healthy as possible. Its just a little overwhelming with all of the food choices....I will definately refer to the ratings and read up on the purina post. thanks for the reply.....He does eat out of stainless dishes

  6. #6
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Lacey28's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Location
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,871
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    Yeah definately looks like a reaction. Hope it gets bette soon. We feed Silva Fromm surf n turf and havent had any problems!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

  7. #7

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    What would be a good quality food that is available in ontario........I'm in Mount Forest.....I need a good starting point....I also need to know where I can get it

  8. #8

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    by the way, whats the best place to post pics.....i would like to post several more

  9. #9
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bella'sMom's Avatar
    Location
    Eau Claire WI
    Posts
    3,310
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by murphywalker View Post
    by the way, whats the best place to post pics.....i would like to post several more
    There is a forum for pictures and videos. Can't wait to see more, he is adorable.

    Always with me

  10. #10
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by murphywalker View Post
    What would be a good quality food that is available in ontario........I'm in Mount Forest.....I need a good starting point....I also need to know where I can get it
    Let's ask @Lacey28 she is in your area, perhaps she can help you find a good market

    The best place to post pictures is in many places! We LOOOOOve pictures! There is the Photo and video theme board, if you have any photos to match the themes that would be fun! And otherwise, we have a photo & video forum you can fill with pictures. You probably want to add some to your profile, by creating an album in your profile. And of course, you must have an avatar (that is the picture that shows up in your posts). Go to settings---> Edit Avatar

    And you can also edit your profile in settings, add your country flag, bio, ect.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  11. #11
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Chunksmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Turi
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,785
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    @murphywalker ... I have the same issue with my Chunk ... we are in the process of changing foods too. This is our second food change so far. First was from Royal Canin Bulldog 24 (not good at all) to Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. That cleared up his tear stains, brightened his coat and gave him way more energy! However, he still had the same facial reactions Murphy is having as well as boogery eyes. Now we are trying Beef Frittata, so we will see how that goes. Remember to be patient, food trials take time. I keep having to remind myself of this - I just want my baby healthy asap! Welcome to EBN, this is an absolutely WONDERFUL group of people!!!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

    Live Genuinely


  12. #12
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: chin acne? or more severe problem?

    @murphywalker Welcome to the site!!! We would to see more pics of Murphy ... there is a forum for Bulldog Photos and Videos for you to post LOTS of pics of Murphy!

    Maggie was on Beneful when we first got her, and we knew no better until finding this wonderful site. We made the slow switch to Fromm over a two week period and she has been wonderful on it. We have the Fromm 4* range and found out that it was best to change the protein source of the food so that she didn't become allergic to anything. This was fine until about 4 weeks ago when we tried the Fromm Chicken n Veg. Since then she's had interdigital cysts in between the toes of one of her back feet. AND she has a sore just like your photo on one side of her face,beside her mouth and close to the bottom of her nose. Since then I've found out that chicken is often a source of allergies and I am now convinced that that is what has caused all these problems!!! She is now on Salmon n Veg from the Fromm range but unfortunately it takes a while for the food they are allergic to, to fully get out of their system!

    I would definitely start a slow transition to a better food .... Purina just like Beneful is .....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •