chin acne? or more severe problem?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 20 months old, he too used to have a very red face it smelled and with some open sores. It was his food. I was feeding him Iams, I did a slow switch to Nature's Variety Salmon and eventually his face cleared up, his next bag was Nature's Variety Chicken, and his face had sores again. I definatley think it is the food. I use stainless steal bowls and changed his food and although I still have problems with his face stinking, even though I wash his face daily, it is not as bad as when he was not on a good food, he has not had open sores in months.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I am not sure where Mount Forest is (Where is it??) but I order my food from a pet store called Pet Wise or For Your Fur Kid, google it and see if there is one near you or check in your local phone book! [MENTION=1844]murphywalker[/MENTION]

L

Lucy-licious

Aww bless Murphys chin sure looks sore :hug:
You definately came to the right place for advice
I fed Lucy on Purina until I looked into the posts on here its really bad :poo:

Photos are always welcome :D

golfrmom64

Oct 26, 2010
Easley, SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzie, Abbie & Georgia
We had the same problem with our Izzie and we took her into the vet. He stated at first it was acne and then started to check her closer and checked under her tail and came out with blood on his fingers. She had infection in her blood stream. He put her on an antibotic and we had to clean the site twice a day with benedine and put a salve on her to prevent itching. Not saying it is not allergies just might be something to look into.

:heart::heart::heart:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Bruno had that for about a month. The vet suggested I take his plastic food and water bowls away and replace them with stainless steel. He said the plastic harbored bacteria alot more than the steel.
He asked if I washed the bowls on a daily basis and I admitted I did not. He always got dry kibble (TOTW). I would wash them every other day. I would just refill it daily.
So I took away the plastic bowls, and made sure I washed the steel bowls daily. Problem solved and it only took a month before completely going away.
If you use plastic give it a shot. :up:

Chunk uses ceramic and stainless steel ... do you crate Bruno? Did the vet say anything about the plastic in the bottom of the crate? Just realized maybe that is adding to Chunk's skin issues ... or maybe his plastic chew toys???

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Yes I crate Bruno Daily. I have always had a bed in his crate though. He never sleeps on the bare plastic.I wash his bed and bedding every two days, The Vet never mentioned the plastic in his crate.
He only mentioned the plastic bowls and when I took them away the bumps went away also .I should also mention that I religiously dry his face and chin completely after he drinks water. I do not let him drink and walk away and stay with a wet face and chin.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The chin acne's most likely a food or bowl issue. I live in Toronto and find a lot of stores carry Fromm. Do you have a Global's Pet Food or even a Pet Valu near you? If not, there are other smaller chains/stores that carry brands that PetSmart wouldn't normally carry. Here's a link to find one that sells Fromm:

Where to Buy | Tri-Natural Products

I also found that even treats have a big impact on my bully's skin, even though he barely gets fed any. Try a grain and gluten free one, these can be bought from Petsmart in addition to the stores above.

Hope that helps and good luck!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am having the same problem with my Ozzie and he's 9 month old. The vet said it was hormones and prescribed a Bactrin type antibiotic. It has not cleared up completely but is better. I have had him on Fromm chicken and vegetable for about two months now, because previously the breeder had him on Bill-Jac and I didn't know any better initially. I also introduced the salmon and vegtable for a change and his breath smelled fishy. Could it be allergies or is it raging hormones since he has recently started marking on occasion?

[MENTION=1561]BethandOzzie[/MENTION] I have only recently found out that a lot of bullys are allergic to chicken ... and I am convinced that that is what started our problems with Maggie. I've switched her over to the Salmon now and won't be going back to the chicken!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@BethandOzzie I have only recently found out that a lot of bullys are allergic to chicken ... and I am convinced that that is what started our problems with Maggie. I've switched her over to the Salmon now and won't be going back to the chicken!!

I agree. Try changing the protein of his food again. There's a new Fromm Beef Frittata that may be worth a try. I think it's grain free. A lot of dogs, in general, are allergic to chicken. Really not sure why.

OP
murphywalker

murphywalker

Feb 13, 2011
Just an update,
I found a local pet store owner who also has a bully. With the wealth of advice and info I got from this site so far and the knowlegdable store owner, Ive began switching murphy to California Naturals lamb and rice. This site and forum has been fantastic and I'm really glad I found it. I will give it a little time then I will let everyone know how he is doing. I'm very optimistic because it seems like a really stripped down quality food and she even told me that if it didnt work out, I could bring back any unused food for exchange. She has FROMM there and speaks very highly of it but suggested this food because it has less ingredients. Her advice was to get him going on this and if all clears up and he is doing well, if I still wanted to, to then switch to the FROMM. Fingers crossed, he has seemed so uncomfortable and agitated the last few months......I want to see him start to smile and really enjoy what an awesome owner he has lol.......thanks again everyone!!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
@murphywalker ... I have the same issue with my Chunk ... we are in the process of changing foods too. This is our second food change so far. First was from Royal Canin Bulldog 24 (not good at all)

Can someone answer why "Royal Canin" is Not good ?
Please let me know why and where does the information come from. Honestly I am feeding this now.
Thank you,

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, I have heard about the benefit of a "grain free" and we feed a brand that is GF. But, we have 5 EBD, and do not have any issues with "chicken" as a problem. How common of a problem is this?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[I should also mention that I religiously dry his face and chin completely after he drinks water. I do not let him drink and walk away and stay with a wet face and chin.[/QUOTE]

I hope EVERYONE does this everytime. Not only is it important for the bully face...it saves the carpet, the couch, your clothes, your face from the dribbles/drizzels...:bully:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
The same thing happened to Busters. As soon as I switched him from a plastic dish to stainless steel, his acne got better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.