chin acne? or more severe problem?

murphywalker

Feb 13, 2011
murphy zits.jpghi all,
murphy is abput 15 months old and he has all of a sudden developed these large red sores and bumps on his chin and muzzle. We recently switched his protien source from lanb to chicken and I am thinking its an allergic reaction of sorts. He use to be on purina pro plan lamb and rice but we made the change to chicken because of soft stools. I have just started to switch him back to the lamb. Am I over reacting?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It is quite possibly exactly what you are thinking. Check out the food rating link. Many of the members have had excellent results with allergy control switching to better food.
Our Princess is eating Fromm Beef Fritatta because she was having trouble with a rash causing itching and sores on her legs and gooey eyes in the morning. Since the switch to the no chicken or grain Beef Fritatta she is much improved.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be the protien source, or the brand of food. Chicken & Lamb both are high allergy proteins.

Low grade dog foods change their protein sources constantly, so no two bags are the same. Purina is an awful dog food, especially for a bulldog. Unless you learn more about dog food, you could have no idea- because they market their food and tell you how wonderful it is. But I am on a personal mission to teach dog lovers to feed good dog food- you will be amazed at the difference in your dog. Not only the food, but the treats and snacks are important too.

Please check out this topic, it sheds some light about why I don't like purina, because I don't want you to feel like I am being bossy or trying to force you to do anything. The main ingredient is Corn, so basically you are feeding your dog mostly corn everyday. Then they also list Corn Glueten meal, which means more corn in a different form. Then Soybean meal, a cheap way to put protein in dog food. Well, I will stop there and let you read the topic: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...utrition/2931-why-i-hate-purina-dog-food.html

Here is the dog food ratings. Also these are our recommended dog foods but there are many other great choices, those are just our personal choices.

Also, do you use plastic, ceramic, or stainless for a food dish?

Your bully is adorable, lets get him all better!

OP
murphywalker

murphywalker

Feb 13, 2011
It could be the protien source, or the brand of food. Chicken & Lamb both are high allergy proteins.

Low grade dog foods change their protein sources constantly, so no two bags are the same. Purina is an awful dog food, especially for a bulldog. Unless you learn more about dog food, you could have no idea- because they market their food and tell you how wonderful it is. But I am on a personal mission to teach dog lovers to feed good dog food- you will be amazed at the difference in your dog. Not only the food, but the treats and snacks are important too.

Please check out this topic, it sheds some light about why I don't like purina, because I don't want you to feel like I am being bossy or trying to force you to do anything. The main ingredient is Corn, so basically you are feeding your dog mostly corn everyday. Then they also list Corn Glueten meal, which means more corn in a different form. Then Soybean meal, a cheap way to put protein in dog food. Well, I will stop there and let you read the topic: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...utrition/2931-why-i-hate-purina-dog-food.html

Here is the dog food ratings. Also these are our recommended dog foods but there are many other great choices, those are just our personal choices.

Also, do you use plastic, ceramic, or stainless for a food dish?

Your bully is adorable, lets get him all better!

Thanks, murph has been an absolute joy and I'm just trying to do everything i can to get him as healthy as possible. Its just a little overwhelming with all of the food choices....I will definately refer to the ratings and read up on the purina post. thanks for the reply.....He does eat out of stainless dishes

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Yeah definately looks like a reaction. Hope it gets bette soon. We feed Silva Fromm surf n turf and havent had any problems!

OP
murphywalker

murphywalker

Feb 13, 2011
What would be a good quality food that is available in ontario........I'm in Mount Forest.....I need a good starting point....I also need to know where I can get it

OP
murphywalker

murphywalker

Feb 13, 2011
by the way, whats the best place to post pics.....i would like to post several more

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What would be a good quality food that is available in ontario........I'm in Mount Forest.....I need a good starting point....I also need to know where I can get it

Let's ask [MENTION=1217]Lacey28[/MENTION] she is in your area, perhaps she can help you find a good market :up:

The best place to post pictures is in many places! We LOOOOOve pictures! There is the Photo and video theme board, if you have any photos to match the themes that would be fun! And otherwise, we have a photo & video forum you can fill with pictures. You probably want to add some to your profile, by creating an album in your profile. And of course, you must have an avatar (that is the picture that shows up in your posts). Go to settings---> Edit Avatar

And you can also edit your profile in settings, add your country flag, bio, ect.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=1844]murphywalker[/MENTION] ... I have the same issue with my Chunk ... we are in the process of changing foods too. This is our second food change so far. First was from Royal Canin Bulldog 24 (not good at all) to Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. That cleared up his tear stains, brightened his coat and gave him way more energy! However, he still had the same facial reactions Murphy is having as well as boogery eyes. Now we are trying Beef Frittata, so we will see how that goes. Remember to be patient, food trials take time. I keep having to remind myself of this - I just want my baby healthy asap! Welcome to EBN, this is an absolutely WONDERFUL group of people!!! :up:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1844]murphywalker[/MENTION] Welcome to the site!!! We would :heart: to see more pics of Murphy ... there is a forum for Bulldog Photos and Videos for you to post LOTS of pics of Murphy! :up:

Maggie was on Beneful when we first got her, and we knew no better until finding this wonderful site. We made the slow switch to Fromm over a two week period and she has been wonderful on it. We have the Fromm 4* range and found out that it was best to change the protein source of the food so that she didn't become allergic to anything. This was fine until about 4 weeks ago when we tried the Fromm Chicken n Veg. Since then she's had interdigital cysts in between the toes of one of her back feet. AND she has a sore just like your photo on one side of her face,beside her mouth and close to the bottom of her nose. Since then I've found out that chicken is often a source of allergies and I am now convinced that that is what has caused all these problems!!! She is now on Salmon n Veg from the Fromm range but unfortunately it takes a while for the food they are allergic to, to fully get out of their system!

I would definitely start a slow transition to a better food .... Purina just like Beneful is :poo: ..... :eek::ohmy:

BethandOzzie

Dec 3, 2010
outside of Phila., PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzie
I am having the same problem with my Ozzie and he's 9 month old. The vet said it was hormones and prescribed a Bactrin type antibiotic. It has not cleared up completely but is better. I have had him on Fromm chicken and vegetable for about two months now, because previously the breeder had him on Bill-Jac and I didn't know any better initially. I also introduced the salmon and vegtable for a change and his breath smelled fishy. Could it be allergies or is it raging hormones since he has recently started marking on occasion?

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Bruno had that for about a month. The vet suggested I take his plastic food and water bowls away and replace them with stainless steel. He said the plastic harbored bacteria alot more than the steel.
He asked if I washed the bowls on a daily basis and I admitted I did not. He always got dry kibble (TOTW). I would wash them every other day. I would just refill it daily.
So I took away the plastic bowls, and made sure I washed the steel bowls daily. Problem solved and it only took a month before completely going away.
If you use plastic give it a shot. :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.