Diagnosed with Puppy Mange - Want to switch to RAW

CMCLAIRE

Jul 2, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi Everyone,

Our poor little 4.5 month old bulldog was diagnosed with puppy mange and is currently on Advantage Multi (one dose 1.5 weeks ago and one dose to be given one month after) and a special shampoo. He has 3 spots, and its is spreading slightly, which our vet said it would with initial treatment. He said we should see improvement after the second dose.

I have also started him on probiotics and a multivitamin.

I would like to switch his kibble food to a commercial raw, I was looking at Primal.

Here's my question; Can I make the switch now? I know the mange is to do with his immune system, and stress can play a factor, would it be too stressful for his body to switch food while he is being treated?? I don't want to make things worse!

Thanks!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Primal had a recall recently so I would wait. Stella & Chewy's did as well.

If you're interested in RAW, consider doing your own, if that's not possible, some here use Nature's Variety Instinct Raw. I believe [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] uses it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi Everyone,

Our poor little 4.5 month old bulldog was diagnosed with puppy mange and is currently on Advantage Multi (one dose 1.5 weeks ago and one dose to be given one month after) and a special shampoo. He has 3 spots, and its is spreading slightly, which our vet said it would with initial treatment. He said we should see improvement after the second dose.

I have also started him on probiotics and a multivitamin.

I would like to switch his kibble food to a commercial raw, I was looking at Primal.

Here's my question; Can I make the switch now? I know the mange is to do with his immune system, and stress can play a factor, would it be too stressful for his body to switch food while he is being treated?? I don't want to make things worse!

Thanks!

Personally, anytime the immune system is compromised, I would make the least changes possible. Adding the probiotic & vitamin is definitively a plus. The probiotic will put back the good bacteria.

Also, when dealing with raw (commercial especially) you run the risk of salmonella. Very recently two large commercial raw (Stella & Chewys & Nature's Variety) put out recalls due to salmonella. We were unfortunately a victim of it as Tyson got really sick. We put him back on a high quality kibble and he's doing so much better.

I would wait until your baby finishes out the meds, treatments and is nice & stable before you do a food change.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter had mange, and we decided to do the dips. I know that everyone isn't comfortable w/that, but he did fine. We used the Advantage Multi and it really helped to keep it at bay… hope your baby feels better soon!!!

OP
C

CMCLAIRE

Jul 2, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
My Walter had mange, and we decided to do the dips. I know that everyone isn't comfortable w/that, but he did fine. We used the Advantage Multi and it really helped to keep it at bay… hope your baby feels better soon!!!

Our vet didn't even mention dips, what is that? Not sure where you are located, but we are in Canada, I know treatments and names can vary depending on location.

Did you do the dips right away? Or was he just on Advantage Multi at first? How often did you dose and when did you see improvement?? Sorry for the billion questions, I am very stressed about this!! I feel like our vet is taking a very slow approach, and all the googling I have done (I know....its probably not the best idea to do) the treatments seem much more aggressive. My husband thinks I am in a panic, which I guess I am...

OP
C

CMCLAIRE

Jul 2, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
We put him back on a high quality kibble and he's doing so much better.
QUOTE]

What kibble would you suggest? Our previous dog, not a bulldog, was getting Acana duck and pear because of his allergies, but I was told that wasn't a good food for bulldogs.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie had Mange too when she was about 5 months old. We caught it very early--two tiny spots. Our vet prescribed some yellow drops for her to take every day for 2 or 3 weeks. We took her back when she finished the drops for a recheck and there were just a couple of mites on the scraping. She got another round of drops (Ivermectin) and the next time the mites were all gone.

Don't worry [MENTION=12284]CMCLAIRE[/MENTION], this is not uncommon in puppies because their immune systems are not fully matured yet. It doesn't mean you have an unhealthy puppy.

I had a young boxer with mange once. The vet I had at the time did the dips like Wally had. Winnie's vet doesn't like to do the dips, I think because it smells so awful. Both methods work well. Congratulations on your new little guy. Post some pics!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Hi there!
My Leo had mange when I got him at 5 months old and we did not get rid of it until he was about 16 months old. He was on Primal raw (still is) and honestly it did not make any difference as far as the mange. The food is great and he is super healthy, I just don't think it will help with mange. One thing I do recommend is staying away from vaccines until the mange resolves. We thought we got rid of Leo's mange for good when he was about a year old. He got a rabies shot and boom! The mange was back! His treatment was oral ivermectin (1cc) daily for several months along with weekly follicle flushing shampoo baths. good luck!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hi there!
My Leo had mange when I got him at 5 months old and we did not get rid of it until he was about 16 months old. He was on Primal raw (still is) and honestly it did not make any difference as far as the mange. The food is great and he is super healthy, I just don't think it will help with mange. One thing I do recommend is staying away from vaccines until the mange resolves. We thought we got rid of Leo's mange for good when he was about a year old. He got a rabies shot and boom! The mange was back! His treatment was oral ivermectin (1cc) daily for several months along with weekly follicle flushing shampoo baths. good luck!

You could say that the medicine didn't help eather...
I've read stories about puppy mange and the two ways to deal with it...
One, you can fight it with Ivermectin (expensive and useless) for up to year...
Two, you can give your puppy the healthiest food available and boost it's immune system with probiotics and vitamins and it clears in about the same time....your choice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Our vet didn't even mention dips, what is that? Not sure where you are located, but we are in Canada, I know treatments and names can vary depending on location.

Did you do the dips right away? Or was he just on Advantage Multi at first? How often did you dose and when did you see improvement?? Sorry for the billion questions, I am very stressed about this!! I feel like our vet is taking a very slow approach, and all the googling I have done (I know....its probably not the best idea to do) the treatments seem much more aggressive. My husband thinks I am in a panic, which I guess I am...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner… I'm honestly not sure what the name of the dips that were done on Wally, all I know is that they were done at the vets office and he stayed at the vets until he air dried. I can easily find out for you from my vet though. Wally started out w/a couple of small spots, and then we noticed that it was starting to spread. Mange is on ALL dogs, but for some reason dogs w/a suppressed immune system will sometimes develop an outbreak and that's when mange can get out of control. Whether you decide to use the dips or internal meds they are both poison and of course come w/some mild side effects. He had to have about 8 dips (one a week) and then we used the Advantage Multi during that time, and it also helps to stop another outbreak. Mange gets worse BEFORE it gets better, so I would say that it took about a month or so before we noticed that he stopped getting spots. His hair took a couple of months to grow back, but it did come back.

I about had a heart attack when I found out about Wally, and I of course google it and it made things worse. If your vet wants to go conservative w/this I would say go for it… NOT all dogs have a full on outbreak. In our case Wally's was spreading, and we were worried that it would get worse. Please message me if you have any more questions or concerns… I'm here to help you any way that I can ;)

Jshuster77

Sep 12, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke, Tank, and Axel
Hi! While your Leo was on the Ivermectin, did you notice an occurrence of the head bobbles? My little one, Tank, started on a small dosage 0.3cc about 4 days ago and last night he had a very slight episode of the head bobbles. Nothing has changed but for the Ivermectin. The emergency clinic took some vitals last night and he was ok but they asked me to monitor. He is getting around fine and acts like what I would say is normal but I am now unsure re the Ivermectin....and wondering alternatives to supplement the benzoyl peroxide shampoo baths.

Most Reactions