Question about using Coconut Oil

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Once again, my mother has offered her "expert" opinion on my Bulldogs and, of all things, their weight. She sent me this link to an article that says using coconut oil can cause pancreatitis and/or obesity in your dog. I use coconut oil on their food once a day, and I believe it has given them both beautiful, shiny coats. I am sure there are other benefits that I cannot see, as well.

Does anyone have negative experiences regarding coconut oil? If so, please share. I just told my mother that I plan to continue with its use. However, if there is more evidence of its harm, I will reconsider.

The Risks and Benefits of Coconut Oil for Pets | The Drake Center For Veterinary Care

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Once again, my mother has offered her "expert" opinion on my Bulldogs and, of all things, their weight. She sent me this link to an article that says using coconut oil can cause pancreatitis and/or obesity in your dog. I use coconut oil on their food once a day, and I believe it has given them both beautiful, shiny coats. I am sure there are other benefits that I cannot see, as well.

Does anyone have negative experiences regarding coconut oil? If so, please share. I just told my mother that I plan to continue with its use. However, if there is more evidence of its harm, I will reconsider.

The Risks and Benefits of Coconut Oil for Pets | The Drake Center For Veterinary Care

I agree with your mom, but I'm one of the few here that does.

There has been at least one bulldog (she's part of my meet up group) who had pancreatitis and her vet attributed it to the addition of coconut oil.

There was also a member here who's bullie also developed it. From what I remember, their vet also told them to stop giving it.

If I'm going to give oil, I stick with Salmon. Coconut oil does not contain Omega 3's that Salmon oil does and there hasn't been any independent research done to support
the claims the coconut oil companies are making.

None the less, many do use it and swear by the results. Much like with everything, each dog is different and will react differently.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use it but mainly because Harlea is allergic to salmon and salmon products. However, we do not give it to her daily. She only get a teaspoon every other day at dinner time.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Well I will probably finish off the rest of the bottle I have and then switch to salmon oil. I really didn't know there was an alternative. Thanks for replying!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use coconut oil, but sparingly… like every couple of days. Honestly I haven't noticed a huge change in Walter's coat so I may try the salmon oil instead.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Yikes. That's scary. I give coconut oil everyday in the morning feed and salmon oil in the night feed. I think I will stop with the coconut oil altogether.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use both -- but mix it up and I also don't give it daily. Basically this seems to be too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

I try to keep my bulldogs diet different and switch it up, glad I do that!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online