Scabs on Mr. Chubbs's head

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
I've been noticing some scattered scabs on Mr. Chubbs's head over the past couple weeks. His hair comes out with them. I've read a little about it being a seasonal problem. Anybody have any experience with this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be a staph infection -- can you post some pictures of the 'scabs' ?

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Sure, will post tonight after work

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
IMG_1705.JPG
This is his neck area. Shows the thinning, patchy areas
IMG_1706.JPG
This is again his neck. A few "scabs" in the same area. I've scratched at/picked at some of them already here. (I know I shouldn't, but I am a picker. Trying not to pick at any more of them.)
IMG_1707.JPG
This is a new one I noticed tonight. Right behind his ear.
IMG_1710.JPG
This is on the top of his head. He came back inside this morning and I noticed it was bleeding slightly.

They all appear to just be scabbed, dried blood. Nothing draining or any weird colors. He has been getting into some dirt, rubbing his face in it mostly, under our deck a lot for the past week and a half. Maybe it is from him rubbing his face down there and also from the frequent baths he has been getting because of that (we are using a sensitive shampoo)? It is difficulty to really see them under his fur, but if I do try to pick at the scabs at all, his hair comes out with it and leaves a little bald spot.

Attachments

• IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 168

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It looks like it could be from the dirt/irritation bur what you explain makes me think staph infection--- i would get a vet to check and confirm. If staph you need antibiotics .
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Ok. Luckily he already has an appointment to get his anal sacs expressed tomorrow. I'll ask them to take a look and see what they think. Thanks for the advice.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok. Luckily he already has an appointment to get his anal sacs expressed tomorrow. I'll ask them to take a look and see what they think. Thanks for the advice.

Keep us posted

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
The vet was concerned for possible staph so he will be on two weeks of antibiotics. She also suggested using our mal-a-ket wipes on them.

and then he came to the door looking like this... Again.

image.jpg

I was even watching him from the window and in the time it took to walk from the window to the door to let him in...this boy loves the dirt.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet was concerned for possible staph so he will be on two weeks of antibiotics. She also suggested using our mal-a-ket wipes on them.

and then he came to the door looking like this... Again.

View attachment 89577

I was even watching him from the window and in the time it took to walk from the window to the door to let him in...this boy loves the dirt.

He is innocent! The dirt jump up and smacked him in the face --- or, or, it was the neighborhood cat that kicked it on him :D

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Finished his 20 day course of antibiotics today and skin looks great!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.