Rotting nail bed?

ChristineRenee5

Jul 26, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broseph 'Bro'
Long story short, I came home from work to an English Bulldog puppy that my husband purchased. He has always wanted one, however neither one of us have a clue about them or how to care for them. I've done a lot of research, but I do have a question about his nail beds. They appear to almost be rotting away. Some are worse than others, some have a crack down the middle but almost all of them have this brown part chipping away. He does have his first vet appointment on Thursday (first with our vet - third round of shots, 12 week) but I wanted to ask in case anyone knew what the cause is. He does not itch or lick his feet but does tend to hold them odd. I'm not sure if that's just a quirky preference or not since they don't seem to bother him. I've added a few photos, not the worst, but the one I could get as he napped.

Thanks!

20u4vgp.jpg

33ucz9k.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

:welcome3: to EBN

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never seen anything like that before. Very odd, if no one else knows please let us know the progress on this one in case it ever comes up again. Welcome to the site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Your pup may have a fungus, or bacteria. This can happen if the area the pup was kept in was not kept clean. It could also be do to an internal infection. Your Vet will probably give him an antibiotic,or if it is fungus,an antifungal. In the meantime, I would soak his feet in epsom salts. Even a bad case of hookworms can show similar symptoms.
When you take him to your vet, try to bring a fresh stool sample.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Our bully had something similar to what this looks like but his wasn't chipping.He had bruised his nail beds by jumping out of my parents truck.Does it look purplish or brown ?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like he has injured them some how, but not sure. I'm sure your vet will know what it is.

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
What did the vet say? Our boy Opie has a nail bed infection and is on his last week of antibiotics and his nail is starting to look like that a tad.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.