Seizures-Hoping for insight

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
As I mentioned in a previous thread, Nelly's seizure onset was fast and traumatic. In hindsight I realized she seized 6-12 times over the course of the day, including 4 events in the hour before I brought her to the ER.

Labs to this point have not identified a source so vet is recommending MRI and spinal tap. If we choose not to have those procedures, we would be sent home with anti-convulsants and antibiotics.

It's a lot of information to absorb at once so I guess I'm hoping someone might have some experience or insight they can share.

To summarize:
Blood work does not indicate infection but mri might
No known toxins were ingested and only possibility is mushrooms in the yard. Onset doesn't indicate as liver and kidney enzymes fine, and no GI issues prior to seizures
Doc's main suspicion is autoimmune and is positive about treatment. MRI only manner to diagnose this. They all have indicated there's time to think it over and get second opinions.
Dramatic onset does not indicate epilepsy, although I guess if the tests keep coming back negative that's what we will be left with.

Thanks in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry you and your baby are going through all this... I will tag Cheryl, her boy Vegas has epilepsy and she is a wealth of information on seizures.

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
We had the exact same thing happen right after Doughnut turned 9. We opted to get the spinal tap (which they ended up not being able to do), and the MRI. The MRI didn't show anything, so by default the diagnosis was late-onset epilepsy. He is now on Zonisamide (100mg twice a day), and has not had a seizure since. This medicine is great for him because it does not have the drug interaction that Phenobarbitol has, and he could continue on his allergy meds. I must say, it was the scariest thing. I hope it turns out as well for you guys as it did for us.

Ps- I get the meds at CVS. Its about $36 a month.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… I have no experience w/this just wanted to offer support. Please keep us posted!!!

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Second opinion doc recommends treating as idiopathic epilepsy, continue with meds and no mri or spinal tap. It seems a more reasonable and conservative course of treatment. If she doesn't continue to respond favorably to the meds that could change, but for now she's doing great, has had no further seizures, and we are hoping she becomes accustomed to the medicine quickly.

CMCLAIRE

Jul 2, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I had a dog (not bulldog) that was diagnosed with epilepsy just before his second birthday and he passed away last December at 10 years old. It was a VERY long road with him, he did not respond well to a lot of the traditional medications for canine epilepsy, so it was a lot of trial and error. If you have any questions, feel free to message me whenever. I know the pain at goes along with having a special needs dog.

Also, honey was our best friend. After a seizure we would feed him honey (in bread or whatever) and it would help to stop him from having cluster seizures and would reduce his confused state after the seizures. Honestly the best help we ever found.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi all, I know its been a long time. My babies are 4 1/2 now!

At 3:30 this morning my boy Wilbur woke us up with what I can only describe as a grand mal seizure. This is the first time this ever happened. It lasted over a minute and seemed not to be able to see or know us. He chased me around the table - it was terrifying. He finally sniffed my leg, and then started to calm a little. He walked around the house as if he had never been here before, and we had to reintroduce him to Layla (his sister). It was like he was meeting a strange dog.
Over the next hour he drank tons of water, and finally settled down to sleep.

He is normal now, but acting weird (a little) - he isn't having his normal responses to his toys but he ate his food and seems ok otherwise.

Going to the vet this afternoon. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all, I know its been a long time. My babies are 4 1/2 now!

At 3:30 this morning my boy Wilbur woke us up with what I can only describe as a grand mal seizure. This is the first time this ever happened. It lasted over a minute and seemed not to be able to see or know us. He chased me around the table - it was terrifying. He finally sniffed my leg, and then started to calm a little. He walked around the house as if he had never been here before, and we had to reintroduce him to Layla (his sister). It was like he was meeting a strange dog.
Over the next hour he drank tons of water, and finally settled down to sleep.

He is normal now, but acting weird (a little) - he isn't having his normal responses to his toys but he ate his food and seems ok otherwise.

Going to the vet this afternoon. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] --- Cheryl may have some insight for you. Sending you lots of positive thoughts for you and your boy

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
As I mentioned in a previous thread, Nelly's seizure onset was fast and traumatic. In hindsight I realized she seized 6-12 times over the course of the day, including 4 events in the hour before I brought her to the ER.

Labs to this point have not identified a source so vet is recommending MRI and spinal tap. If we choose not to have those procedures, we would be sent home with anti-convulsants and antibiotics.

It's a lot of information to absorb at once so I guess I'm hoping someone might have some experience or insight they can share.

To summarize:
Blood work does not indicate infection but mri might
No known toxins were ingested and only possibility is mushrooms in the yard. Onset doesn't indicate as liver and kidney enzymes fine, and no GI issues prior to seizures
Doc's main suspicion is autoimmune and is positive about treatment. MRI only manner to diagnose this. They all have indicated there's time to think it over and get second opinions.
Dramatic onset does not indicate epilepsy, although I guess if the tests keep coming back negative that's what we will be left with.

Thanks in advance.

The onset of your story sounds like ours. Please read my story and I hope it will ease your mind a tad bit. I'm always around and I've been dealing with this for 8 years. I can help you anyway you need me to.

Special Needs Bulldogs Forum - Bulldog spotlight: TheVegasShow
[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION] [MENTION=11014]nellbell[/MENTION]

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Hi all, just updating on the seizures to help anyone who may be searching for info. We have continued with the medicine prescribed by the second doctor (pm me for details) and Nelly has been great. She has had only one further episode, and it was when she had an intestinal blockage and we couldn't get the meds in her.

The first doctor was recommending $8,000 in treatment, mri, spinal tap, palette trim, pages of estimates. Our new neurologist (Dr. Daniel at Angell Memorial in Boston and Waltham for anyone in the Boston area) sent us home with a $30 script and said lets see how she does. She has done great! They did one further run of blood work to make sure the levels are where they should be and that was that. The meds cost about $40 every two months and we get them at CVS so not even a trip to the vet.

They said we could try to wean her at some point but the blockage episode was enough for me to rule that out. The seizures are very hard to watch.

The initial side effects of the meds are dramatic and frightening. Nelly had little control over her hind quarters, trouble walking and then her legs would go out from under her. She was drunk for about 2-3 weeks but once her system adjusted, no further side effects. Also hard to watch but they wear off so you all need patience and time.

Onset for idiopathic epilepsy in dogs is often around two years of age. Nelly was 2 years 2 months.

Grateful for the insight of other members here and happy to answer any questions.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Seizures- related to ear infection???

Hi again friends,

An update on where we are with Wilbur: since the incident he has been 100% fine and normal. On Friday I had a lengthy discussion with my vet. I am waiting on blood/urine results which I should get tomorrow (Monday), and then I have to decide if we proceed with an MRI.

My vet flat out told me that some may think it is premature to have an MRI with one seizure, and that it was 100% my choice.

Some facts:
-Wilbur is 4 1/2, 60 lbs,
-has seasonal allergies and food allergies (both him and Layla have been on hypoallergenic vet food since they were 1, so it is not anything changing in his diet).
-He had knee surgery when he was 10 months and has been good ever since. He didn't get into any poisons or toxins.
-I know he is old for epilepsy to start.

Last week, for the first time ever, he got ear infections. He never gets them - Layla does, but never him. The vet (not my usual vet) prescribed Surolan ear drops to be administered twice a day. Within 3 days I noticed that his ears were totally full of the medication, like it wasn't being absorbed or anything. But I kept putting a drop or two since his infections were bad (yeast and bacteria). 5 days of these drops and he had the grand mal seizure. I asked my vet if this ear drops or if the ear infections could have anything to do with it. She said she will look into any possibilities and find out. In the meantime he is off those drops and on oral antibiotics.

Has anyone ever experienced a seizure related to ear drops or to ear infection? (My Aunt has a bassett hound and she 100% believes that his seizures (one or two a year) coincide with ear infections).

So, at this point I don't know what to do. I fear that the blood and urine tests will show everything is normal (I mean no explanation for the seizure) and then I have to decide if I put him through an MRI, or wait and see if he has another seizure.

I am completely torn - is it neglectful to wait? Is it cruel to put him through a possibly unnecessary test?
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I read your whole story about Vegas as well as watching the videos - thank you so much for your meticulous documentation and I am so grateful that you have shared your knowledge. You are an inspiration.

Thank you all!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I don't think it's neglectful to wait at all. An MRI will only shed light on one area... If there is a brain lesion. If by any chance it was related to the ear medication, then you just put your pup through a huge and unnecessary, not to mention extremely expensive test. I also think once they do an MRI, they usually do a spinal tap also. That requires the shaving of the entire back end of Wilbur. And a huge needle in the spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
I don't think it's neglectful to wait at all. An MRI will only shed light on one area... If there is a brain lesion. If by any chance it was related to the ear medication, then you just put your pup through a huge and unnecessary, not to mention extremely expensive test. I also think once they do an MRI, they usually do a spinal tap also. That requires the shaving of the entire back end of Wilbur. And a huge needle in the spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.