nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Nelly (2 years) is currently in the ICU at the local VCA.

She has seen an Ophthalmologist, full disclosure we haven't spoken directly to eye doc yet while we face seizure issues.

Apparently she has been diagnosed with an eye ulcer, entropian. Eye doc recommends removing part of the lid and cryosurgery to prevent lash regrowth.

Only eye issues she has had to date are allergies, maybe one infection when she was a puppy. I'm concerned that this injury may be more related to a recent stay in a kennel (dog play) and/or the recent seizures.

She takes a daily zyrtec for allergies and is on limited ingredient diet. Both eyes are goopy in the am on waking, but a quick wipe to the outside of her eyes and wrinkles with a baby wipe leaves them fine for the rest of the day. Also, whenever she goes to the vet she gets so excited that her eyes run bright red and we've had to explain to the docs more than once that it's just excitement and that ten minutes prior they were perfectly white.

I guess I'm afraid that this unexpected opthalmology consult is premature and that the perceived convenience of wrapping the entropian surgery into a potential MRI/tap procedure is a hard sell.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is usually genetic, I believe, but I will tag a few members with experience that can give some insight

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wish I could help but Blue had Cherry eye.

But I will say this, if you feel it's premature, definitely discuss your concerns with the ophthalmologist. They need to know the complete history (from you, not the notes) anyway.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think you should get a second opinion.

First, if the eye ulcer is caused by entropion, it would require a surgical procedure to remove skin below and/or above the eyes to roll the eyelids outward.

If it is cryosurgery, then the lashes are actually growing inward which is not entropion, it is distachia-- so I am very confused and think you should seek out a second opinion.

If the ulcer is bad, they should be able to give you plenty of lubricating medication to try to heal it, but if your bulldog has either entropion or distacia- it will need to be corrected otherwise you will continue to have eye ulcers, and you do not want this, because eventually they can take their vision if not healed soon enough or correctly.

Does the surgery need to be done right now? No. But the sooner the better. But get a second opinion on what the best option would be and which type of surgery would benefit your bulldog the best.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think you should get a second opinion.

First, if the eye ulcer is caused by entropion, it would require a surgical procedure to remove skin below and/or above the eyes to roll the eyelids outward.

If it is cryosurgery, then the lashes are actually growing inward which is not entropion, it is distachia-- so I am very confused and think you should seek out a second opinion.

If the ulcer is bad, they should be able to give you plenty of lubricating medication to try to heal it, but if your bulldog has either entropion or distacia- it will need to be corrected otherwise you will continue to have eye ulcers, and you do not want this, because eventually they can take their vision if not healed soon enough or correctly.

Does the surgery need to be done right now? No. But the sooner the better. But get a second opinion on what the best option would be and which type of surgery would benefit your bulldog the best.

Lisa is absolutely correct on this...

I have had bullies w/BOTH of these eye issues… in fact Wally just had his second round of cryosurgery to insure that those inward lashes do not come back. Just having an eye ulcer is NOT a diagnosis for either of these disorders, bullies can get an ulcer from scratching or rubbing their face in the ground. Ulcer's can heal from ointment, but like Lisa stated if this is TRULY a chronic eye issue then you need to have this corrected. I would most definitely get a second opinion!!!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My bully Abbott has had entropion surgery twice and has had eyelashes cut out and then some.We are currently going to be going in for Botox treatments on his right eye that doesn't seem to want to be fixed.He sees an optomologist and as my vet says eyes aren't something you can replace.So if they say your bully needs it I would get it done soon because it can cause permanent damage to the cornea.Hope all goes well with your bully..

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Finally spoke with the eye doc. There is no evidence the ulcer was caused by entropion or distashia. The ulcer, in her words, is "not that bad" an injury and should heal with meds. Follow up in a week and then will consider corrective surgery after we get this bully on the mend. Thanks everyone.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Some good news. GOD bless that little gal.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Finally spoke with the eye doc. There is no evidence the ulcer was caused by entropion or distashia. The ulcer, in her words, is "not that bad" an injury and should heal with meds. Follow up in a week and then will consider corrective surgery after we get this bully on the mend. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like a great plan and future treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online