PLEASE be mindful of your bullies in this heat!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
A very experienced bully Mom almost lost her bully to heatstroke Sunday
INSIDE her AC'ed home! As does my duplex now, AC set at 70* but as the
day warms up, temp inside rises too, 78* this week. Granted, her bully is
12 but could happen to any bully. Fans were blowing on him at the time it
happened, she saw the signs & most fortunately, had IV fluids on hand and
after, Pedialyte or Profil Water, is same & less expensive, unflavored. He still
can't stand on his hind legs but is eating, drinking & going potty (on pads).

Reminded me to stock on Profil Water & get a couple box fans (mine are in
storage) and look Cami over good even inside when temp climbs inside. Put
ice in front of fans, also you can freeze Profil Water into popsicles & give after
they've been outside as they sweat too.

Love y'all & your precious babies!

:goodpost:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I know this sounds crazy, but I will literally put a timer on Wally when he is outside… I do go out w/him but between the kids/Walter and the constant madness here, I will forget how long we have been out. The timer REALLY helps me keep a handle on how long we have been outside… or I'm getting Alzheimer's early onset… LMAO!!!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I have a question for you guys.

Bella goes to her daycare at her vet 4 days a week. Two of those days (each week), she has structured play/training with the day care trainer's pack of dogs (which is called Pack Play). It consists of a group of trained dogs in day care and they go over training and socialization, while encouraging proper play with each other. It's an all day thing.

If the weather is nice, they are outside. If the weather is not nice, they play inside. I worry every time I drop her off for Pack Play. I KNOW they watch her, but they do keep her outside with the pack a lot of the day. They have doggie (kiddie style) pools and several attendants watching and taking care of the dogs. They've even cancelled Pack Play when they didn't have enough attendants.

Would this worry you? Would you let your bullies participate in Pack Play?

Bella has been doing this for months now and there's never been an issue. When I pick her up, she's tired (from all the doggie play), but she never looks overheated. I just want reassurance that I shouldn't worry, since there are always attendants and trainers with the pack.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I have a question for you guys.

Bella goes to her daycare at her vet 4 days a week. Two of those days (each week), she has structured play/training with the day care trainer's pack of dogs (which is called Pack Play). It consists of a group of trained dogs in day care and they go over training and socialization, while encouraging proper play with each other. It's an all day thing.

If the weather is nice, they are outside. If the weather is not nice, they play inside. I worry every time I drop her off for Pack Play. I KNOW they watch her, but they do keep her outside with the pack a lot of the day. They have doggie (kiddie style) pools and several attendants watching and taking care of the dogs. They've even cancelled Pack Play when they didn't have enough attendants.

Would this worry you? Would you let your bullies participate in Pack Play?

Bella has been doing this for months now and there's never been an issue. When I pick her up, she's tired (from all the doggie play), but she never looks overheated. I just want reassurance that I shouldn't worry, since there are always attendants and trainers with the pack.

Great question, Cali and seeing you are in VA, I think (if me) I'd have them
keep her inside the rest of July thru mid Sept. The worst thing about heat
stroke is they are fine then BAM, they're not fine and it's unbelievable how
quick they go downhill. I just wouldn't take the chance, also, once heat stroked,
they're are at higher risk to do so again. The woman who almost lost her bully
Sunday, said her boy would not have made it to her Vet, minutes away and most
likely would have died except for her having & giving IV fluids immediately.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Great question, Cali and seeing you are in VA, I think (if me) I'd have them
keep her inside the rest of July thru mid Sept. The worst thing about heat
stroke is they are fine then BAM, they're not fine and it's unbelievable how
quick they go downhill. I just wouldn't take the chance, also, once heat stroked,
they're are at higher risk to do so again. The woman who almost lost her bully
Sunday, said her boy would not have made it to her Vet, minutes away and most
likely would have died except for her having & giving IV fluids immediately.

Gosh, this is so scary! Thank you for your advice Carol.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Today is going to be an amazingly beautiful day, so I'm allowing Bella to do Pack Play. I needed to ease my mind, so I talked to the trainer today when I dropped off Bella. I asked her how they handle the extreme heat with the dogs, especially short nosed breeds. She said that they go inside at different times during the day to take breaks.

She also told me that Bella spends all day in the kiddie pool, happy as a clam. She said that even when they go inside, Bella doesn't rest. She's always running around like, "Who wants to play with me!?!?"

I feel better. She enjoys Pack Play so much, and the training and socialization is so good for her.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Today is going to be an amazingly beautiful day, so I'm allowing Bella to do Pack Play. I needed to ease my mind, so I talked to the trainer today when I dropped off Bella. I asked her how they handle the extreme heat with the dogs, especially short nosed breeds. She said that they go inside at different times during the day to take breaks.

She also told me that Bella spends all day in the kiddie pool, happy as a clam. She said that even when they go inside, Bella doesn't rest. She's always running around like, "Who wants to play with me!?!?" I feel better. She enjoys Pack Play so much, and the training and socialization is so good for her.

Yes, these warnings are not to scare anyone into needless panic or unwarranted restrictions
on our bullies. All bullies are different, not all have breathing problems or narrow wind pipes, age
& weight makes a big difference in tolerance. Cami is 7 & overweight (I try but she is stubbornly
sedentary) and when she goes out & potties then runs back in, she's panting w/ her tongue out.
It's great your Bella is healthy, young & can play like that!

One more thing, KNOW your dog's usual temperature.

Love y'all ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.