N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Second opinion doc recommends treating as idiopathic epilepsy, continue with meds and no mri or spinal tap. It seems a more reasonable and conservative course of treatment. If she doesn't continue to respond favorably to the meds that could change, but for now she's doing great, has had no further seizures, and we are hoping she becomes accustomed to the medicine quickly.

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Hi all, just updating on the seizures to help anyone who may be searching for info (cross post on second thread). We have continued with the medicine prescribed by the second doctor (pm me for details) and Nelly has been great. She has had only one further episode, and it was when she had an intestinal blockage and we couldn't get the meds in her.

The first doctor was recommending $8,000 in treatment, mri, spinal tap, palette trim, pages of estimates. Our new neurologist (Dr. Daniel at Angell Memorial in Boston and Waltham for anyone in the Boston area) sent us home with a $30 script and said lets see how she does. She has done great! They did one further run of blood work to make sure the levels are where they should be and that was that. The meds cost about $40 every two months and we get them at CVS so not even a trip to the vet.

They said we could try to wean her at some point but the blockage episode was enough for me to rule that out. The seizures are very hard to watch.

The initial side effects of the meds are dramatic and frightening. Nelly had little control over her hind quarters, trouble walking and then her legs would go out from under her. She was drunk for about 2-3 weeks but once her system adjusted, no further side effects. Also hard to watch but they wear off so you all need patience and time.

Onset for idiopathic epilepsy in dogs is often around two years of age. Nelly was 2 years 2 months.

Grateful for the insight of other members here and happy to answer any questions.

I cringe when I see the title of this thread. I was so panic stricken I had no vocabulary. :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hi all, just updating on the seizures to help anyone who may be searching for info (cross post on second thread). We have continued with the medicine prescribed by the second doctor (pm me for details) and Nelly has been great. She has had only one further episode, and it was when she had an intestinal blockage and we couldn't get the meds in her.

The first doctor was recommending $8,000 in treatment, mri, spinal tap, palette trim, pages of estimates. Our new neurologist (Dr. Daniel at Angell Memorial in Boston and Waltham for anyone in the Boston area) sent us home with a $30 script and said lets see how she does. She has done great! They did one further run of blood work to make sure the levels are where they should be and that was that. The meds cost about $40 every two months and we get them at CVS so not even a trip to the vet.

They said we could try to wean her at some point but the blockage episode was enough for me to rule that out. The seizures are very hard to watch.

The initial side effects of the meds are dramatic and frightening. Nelly had little control over her hind quarters, trouble walking and then her legs would go out from under her. She was drunk for about 2-3 weeks but once her system adjusted, no further side effects. Also hard to watch but they wear off so you all need patience and time.

Onset for idiopathic epilepsy in dogs is often around two years of age. Nelly was 2 years 2 months.

Grateful for the insight of other members here and happy to answer any questions.

I cringe when I see the title of this thread. I was so panic stricken I had no vocabulary. :)

Thank you for giving us an update! Though I just found this thread, i'm glad that a solution has been found and Nelly can have her life back! The vet recommendation is also appreciated, I moved to Boston (west roxbury) last year and i'm glad to have options that are bully approved. Hope you enjoy the holidays!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)

Thank you for the update! How traumatizing for you and poor baby Nelly! Nelly is just a few weeks older than Bass!! Glad to hear things worked out and that you got a second opinion (I would have done that also)!

OP
N

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Thank you for giving us an update! Though I just found this thread, i'm glad that a solution has been found and Nelly can have her life back! The vet recommendation is also appreciated, I moved to Boston (west roxbury) last year and i'm glad to have options that are bully approved. Hope you enjoy the holidays!

I'm in Braintree and think the ride to JP is totally worth it for the care at Angell. Our GP there is Dr. Joel Kaye. Neuro is Dr. Daniel. Optho is Dr. Coster. I love, love, love them; great care and they really work to keep the costs low.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So happy to hear Nelly is doing so well. I do believe a second opinion when you can get one is best.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.