Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Centerton, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    1,083
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)
    560

    Default Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Well Abbott's eye isn't any better after all his surgeries and procedures so the vet says to go and try the botox.She said it could train his entropian to stay put.And with his leg issue we had hip specific xrays and it turns out he has arthritis in his knees that will get worse so she recommended seeing if another local vet that we know who has done a type of procedure might want to help him.So here he is 2 1/2 with arthritis...sigh.Our vet is emailing his xrays over to the second vet.But I love that our regular vet will say hey this person is the one to help its out of my zone.

  2. #2
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,198
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2731

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    So saddened hearing your news, Christie. I am hopeful there will be
    relief from the entropion w/ Botox and answers to help the knee arthritis.
    One friend had great results w/ equine treatment, RegenX, diluted down
    for her bullies joint weakness & pain. Please keep us informed, I will keep
    Abbott & you in prayer, GOD bless!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  3. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    Well Abbott's eye isn't any better after all his surgeries and procedures so the vet says to go and try the botox.She said it could train his entropian to stay put.And with his leg issue we had hip specific xrays and it turns out he has arthritis in his knees that will get worse so she recommended seeing if another local vet that we know who has done a type of procedure might want to help him.So here he is 2 1/2 with arthritis...sigh.Our vet is emailing his xrays over to the second vet.But I love that our regular vet will say hey this person is the one to help its out of my zone.
    Hi Christie,
    Sorry to hear about Sweet Abbott. We just started Adequan injections for Tyson's arthritis. We go in for injection #3 tomorrow. I choose this and then later on possibly laser depending on how he does with injections. I hate to just pump him with pain meds Have you looked in to either of those? I will keep you all posted after his 3rd injection, because that's when they claim you really start to see results

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  4. #4
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Centerton, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    1,083
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)
    560

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Hi Christie,
    Sorry to hear about Sweet Abbott. We just started Adequan injections for Tyson's arthritis. We go in for injection #3 tomorrow. I choose this and then later on possibly laser depending on how he does with injections. I hate to just pump him with pain meds Have you looked in to either of those? I will keep you all posted after his 3rd injection, because that's when they claim you really start to see results
    Thank you he seems so young to be having arthritis issues but I thank God everyday that we are the ones to take care of him.We didn't discuss injections yet and I can't remember the procedure name she was telling us about.I'm just going to wait on the other vet to get his xrays and go from there.I'd hate to keep giving him shots since he's already had so many eye procedures But we will do what is necessary for sure.Thank you for your thoughts and info..I will keep you posted.How old is your bully?And she did mention the dreaded diet word.lol She said he needs to lose about 10 lbs to help his knees...yikes

  5. #5
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Centerton, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    1,083
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)
    560

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    So saddened hearing your news, Christie. I am hopeful there will be
    relief from the entropion w/ Botox and answers to help the knee arthritis.
    One friend had great results w/ equine treatment, RegenX, diluted down
    for her bullies joint weakness & pain. Please keep us informed, I will keep
    Abbott & you in prayer, GOD bless!
    Thank you for your kind words and your friends info.Its going to be a process I'm thinking.

  6. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    Thank you he seems so young to be having arthritis issues but I thank God everyday that we are the ones to take care of him.We didn't discuss injections yet and I can't remember the procedure name she was telling us about.I'm just going to wait on the other vet to get his xrays and go from there.I'd hate to keep giving him shots since he's already had so many eye procedures But we will do what is necessary for sure.Thank you for your thoughts and info..I will keep you posted.How old is your bully?And she did mention the dreaded diet word.lol She said he needs to lose about 10 lbs to help his knees...yikes
    No problem. Tyson is 9yrs old. I know your baby is still young, but it happens with the breed. Yes, we get told on every visit that Tyson is overweight - they also want him to lose 10lbs. We are trying, but the he stays hungry!!

    Just an FYI - The injections & laser were the most holistic approaches we could take. I don't want him on medicine, esp pain meds just to mask the pain. The injections are done in a matter of seconds, intramuscular. We are in and out in less than 5 mins - and we are actually going to start giving him the injections at home after the 4th one since they taper off to as needed after that. We also give Tyson Tumeric in pill form (which is a natural anti-inflammatory) for his joints.

    PS Tyson didn't even flinch with the injections - lol

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  7. #7
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Centerton, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    1,083
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)
    560

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    No problem. Tyson is 9yrs old. I know your baby is still young, but it happens with the breed. Yes, we get told on every visit that Tyson is overweight - they also want him to lose 10lbs. We are trying, but the he stays hungry!!

    Just an FYI - The injections & laser were the most holistic approaches we could take. I don't want him on medicine, esp pain meds just to mask the pain. The injections are done in a matter of seconds, intramuscular. We are in and out in less than 5 mins - and we are actually going to start giving him the injections at home after the 4th one since they taper off to as needed after that. We also give Tyson Tumeric in pill form (which is a natural anti-inflammatory) for his joints.

    PS Tyson didn't even flinch with the injections - lol
    Your right it is common with this breed.I forgot to mention he is Olde English so he has longer legs than EB's and weighs about 78 lbs but it's not an accurate weigh because he never will sit still. Lol.I have read up some on Tumeric I'll give it a go His sister who is a Frenglish had fared much better( knock on wood).

  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    My girl, Banks, lived to be 9 yrs old and she was diagnosed with arthritis at age of 2.... initially, our vet had us keep her weight below 60 lbs (she was 70 at the time) and give glucosamine. as years went on, we added anti-inflammatory, Adequan (as jessica is currently using for Tyson), laser therapy and nerve meds. Banks lived a full and fun active life--- just to let you know as horrible as it sounds, if you follow keep weight under control, Abbott can to.

    Best of luck!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Centerton, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    1,083
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)
    560

    Default Re: Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    My girl, Banks, lived to be 9 yrs old and she was diagnosed with arthritis at age of 2.... initially, our vet had us keep her weight below 60 lbs (she was 70 at the time) and give glucosamine. as years went on, we added anti-inflammatory, Adequan (as jessica is currently using for Tyson), laser therapy and nerve meds. Banks lived a full and fun active life--- just to let you know as horrible as it sounds, if you follow keep weight under control, Abbott can to.

    Best of luck!
    Thank you!! It is good to hear

  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •