Abbott's on going eye and leg issues

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Well Abbott's eye isn't any better after all his surgeries and procedures so the vet says to go and try the botox.She said it could train his entropian to stay put.And with his leg issue we had hip specific xrays and it turns out he has arthritis in his knees that will get worse so she recommended seeing if another local vet that we know who has done a type of procedure might want to help him.So here he is 2 1/2 with arthritis...sigh.Our vet is emailing his xrays over to the second vet.But I love that our regular vet will say hey this person is the one to help its out of my zone.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So saddened hearing your news, Christie. I am hopeful there will be
relief from the entropion w/ Botox and answers to help the knee arthritis.
One friend had great results w/ equine treatment, RegenX, diluted down
for her bullies joint weakness & pain. Please keep us informed, I will keep
Abbott & you in prayer, GOD bless!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well Abbott's eye isn't any better after all his surgeries and procedures so the vet says to go and try the botox.She said it could train his entropian to stay put.And with his leg issue we had hip specific xrays and it turns out he has arthritis in his knees that will get worse so she recommended seeing if another local vet that we know who has done a type of procedure might want to help him.So here he is 2 1/2 with arthritis...sigh.Our vet is emailing his xrays over to the second vet.But I love that our regular vet will say hey this person is the one to help its out of my zone.

Hi Christie,
Sorry to hear about Sweet Abbott. We just started Adequan injections for Tyson's arthritis. We go in for injection #3 tomorrow. I choose this and then later on possibly laser depending on how he does with injections. I hate to just pump him with pain meds :( Have you looked in to either of those? I will keep you all posted after his 3rd injection, because that's when they claim you really start to see results :)

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Christie,
Sorry to hear about Sweet Abbott. We just started Adequan injections for Tyson's arthritis. We go in for injection #3 tomorrow. I choose this and then later on possibly laser depending on how he does with injections. I hate to just pump him with pain meds :( Have you looked in to either of those? I will keep you all posted after his 3rd injection, because that's when they claim you really start to see results :)
Thank you he seems so young to be having arthritis issues but I thank God everyday that we are the ones to take care of him.We didn't discuss injections yet and I can't remember the procedure name she was telling us about.I'm just going to wait on the other vet to get his xrays and go from there.I'd hate to keep giving him shots since he's already had so many eye procedures :( But we will do what is necessary for sure.Thank you for your thoughts and info..I will keep you posted.How old is your bully?And she did mention the dreaded diet word.lol She said he needs to lose about 10 lbs to help his knees...yikes

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So saddened hearing your news, Christie. I am hopeful there will be
relief from the entropion w/ Botox and answers to help the knee arthritis.
One friend had great results w/ equine treatment, RegenX, diluted down
for her bullies joint weakness & pain. Please keep us informed, I will keep
Abbott & you in prayer, GOD bless!
Thank you for your kind words and your friends info.Its going to be a process I'm thinking.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you he seems so young to be having arthritis issues but I thank God everyday that we are the ones to take care of him.We didn't discuss injections yet and I can't remember the procedure name she was telling us about.I'm just going to wait on the other vet to get his xrays and go from there.I'd hate to keep giving him shots since he's already had so many eye procedures :( But we will do what is necessary for sure.Thank you for your thoughts and info..I will keep you posted.How old is your bully?And she did mention the dreaded diet word.lol She said he needs to lose about 10 lbs to help his knees...yikes

No problem. Tyson is 9yrs old. I know your baby is still young, but it happens with the breed. Yes, we get told on every visit that Tyson is overweight - they also want him to lose 10lbs. We are trying, but the he stays hungry!!

Just an FYI - The injections & laser were the most holistic approaches we could take. I don't want him on medicine, esp pain meds just to mask the pain. The injections are done in a matter of seconds, intramuscular. We are in and out in less than 5 mins - and we are actually going to start giving him the injections at home after the 4th one since they taper off to as needed after that. We also give Tyson Tumeric in pill form (which is a natural anti-inflammatory) for his joints.

PS Tyson didn't even flinch with the injections - lol

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No problem. Tyson is 9yrs old. I know your baby is still young, but it happens with the breed. Yes, we get told on every visit that Tyson is overweight - they also want him to lose 10lbs. We are trying, but the he stays hungry!!

Just an FYI - The injections & laser were the most holistic approaches we could take. I don't want him on medicine, esp pain meds just to mask the pain. The injections are done in a matter of seconds, intramuscular. We are in and out in less than 5 mins - and we are actually going to start giving him the injections at home after the 4th one since they taper off to as needed after that. We also give Tyson Tumeric in pill form (which is a natural anti-inflammatory) for his joints.

PS Tyson didn't even flinch with the injections - lol
Your right it is common with this breed.I forgot to mention he is Olde English so he has longer legs than EB's and weighs about 78 lbs but it's not an accurate weigh because he never will sit still. Lol.I have read up some on Tumeric I'll give it a go :) His sister who is a Frenglish had fared much better( knock on wood).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My girl, Banks, lived to be 9 yrs old and she was diagnosed with arthritis at age of 2.... initially, our vet had us keep her weight below 60 lbs (she was 70 at the time) and give glucosamine. as years went on, we added anti-inflammatory, Adequan (as jessica is currently using for Tyson), laser therapy and nerve meds. Banks lived a full and fun active life--- just to let you know as horrible as it sounds, if you follow keep weight under control, Abbott can to.

Best of luck!

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My girl, Banks, lived to be 9 yrs old and she was diagnosed with arthritis at age of 2.... initially, our vet had us keep her weight below 60 lbs (she was 70 at the time) and give glucosamine. as years went on, we added anti-inflammatory, Adequan (as jessica is currently using for Tyson), laser therapy and nerve meds. Banks lived a full and fun active life--- just to let you know as horrible as it sounds, if you follow keep weight under control, Abbott can to.

Best of luck!
Thank you!! It is good to hear :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.