CBK815

Jul 19, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi All,
This is my first real post, though I have learned a lot from reading all of the other threads! I adopted a 8 year old Bully named Ruby about 6 months ago. We had a rough go- skin infection, UTI, head tremors, surgery to remove bladder stones, diet to loose about 8 lbs.. Finally got her 100% healthy about a month ago. Summer hit in Souther Cali and along came the allergies. She was put on Hydroxyzine 50MG twice a day due to consistently runny eyes, runny nose, itchies. Its worked wonders so far. I can definitely tell a difference if I am late in giving her a dose! About 2 weeks ago, she started sounding very mucous-y and gargly. Took her into the vet who said that it was in her throat, nothing in her lungs. Put her on a 12 day cycle of Clavamox just to be sure it didn't turn into pneumonia. She just sounds really congested. She has finished the cycle of Clavamox and before I take her into the vet for a check up wanted to see if anyone had any ideas to kick this gunk. She doesn't really cough, more of just a consistent throat clearing and does an inward sneeze about 4 times a day. She is up to date on her shots.

Thanks for reading, any ideas would be appreciated!
IMG_1473.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beauty!!! Thank you for giving her a new home and life!

Sounds like it could be a palate issues, but you can do a squirt of lemon juice to help break up the phelm

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was also going to suggest lemon juice. Since she's already on hydroxizine I would not do benedryl. You could try Nuvet plus since it's known to help allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I will just have to say, due to my own recent experiences, not all vets know enough about Bulldogs. If you can find a vet who has Bulldog experience, you will be in good hands. Antibiotics are often given because the vet doesn't have a clue what else to do.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
We used to have a little one(Dulce) whom we lost due to complications from collapsing larynx. We almost lost her to pneumonia twice. Thankfully I worked for her vet at the time. She was still quite full of mucous after the antibiotics were done. I half jokingly asked if there was a doggy Mucinex. He went to his office, pulled out on of the drug books and scrawled out something on a piece of paper. It was the dosage for Mucinex. It also goes by the name Guafenisin.

Ask your vet about this. I can't remember the dose and I don't think I kept my book.

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
A couple other things that might help are using a vaporizer or steaming up your bathroom and sitting a few minutes with your baby and the steam. Monitor for overheating and never leave him alone to steam of course. The other thing that could be of help is coupage or it is also sometimes referred to as percussive therapy. That can bit of a workout.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.