Arthritis and Extend K9 Health Formula

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Hey, My bulldog has been kind of clumsy lately tripping on lots of things and falling while walking even. the vet seems to think its her joints and she might have arthritis she is just 3 years old so that seems early to have arthritis but in this breed im sure its possible. she has never been good with stairs so we have always carried her up and down them. just wodering if anyone has heard of extend k9 health formula or products like it that are suppose to help their joints and help with arthritis? also i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on prednisone and long term use in dogs as she also has pretty bad alergies and we have tried a ton of different diets and several different pills and our vet landed on a low dose of prednisone to keep her from itchying non stop. i know there are some side affects to this but could her clumsyness be part of it? and is there any other safer option for a dog with bad allergies ? any info would help thanks

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey, My bulldog has been kind of clumsy lately tripping on lots of things and falling while walking even. the vet seems to think its her joints and she might have arthritis she is just 3 years old so that seems early to have arthritis but in this breed im sure its possible. she has never been good with stairs so we have always carried her up and down them. just wodering if anyone has heard of extend k9 health formula or products like it that are suppose to help their joints and help with arthritis? also i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on prednisone and long term use in dogs as she also has pretty bad alergies and we have tried a ton of different diets and several different pills and our vet landed on a low dose of prednisone to keep her from itchying non stop. i know there are some side affects to this but could her clumsyness be part of it? and is there any other safer option for a dog with bad allergies ? any info would help thanks

For arthritis - They can do xrays to confirm. We have Tyson on Nujoint DS - edit, we also give him Tumeric which is a natural anti-inflammatory and we just started Adequan injections 2 weeks ago. I'm against having him on drugs if there are other options. So we choose injections for now, and possibly laser if needed. But Tyson is 9. I think maybe some supplements for her since she is young may help out.

Prednisone - I personally would not keep her on that. Its a strong med with alot of side effects and if used long term can affect liver, heart, and kidneys. I would ask your vet about Apoquel instead. That is alot safer, and you can save the Prednisone for an emergency case or bad breakout.

Back to allergies, what are you currently feeding her? I know you mentioned different diets, but what is she on now?

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Ya she has been on prednosone for a little while now and we are looking to get her onto somthing else. another drug was mentioned to us a while ago when we were dealing with different foods but it wasnt available in canada yet. she is eating Acana Pacifica and we have tired about 3 other dog foods along with the bland human food diet over the last 2 years and nothing seemed to make any difference so we stuck with this one. i just have never heard of bulldogs being as clumsy as ours has been lately, she has always had trouble with linoleum in the house slipping on it but even that has gotten worse, and we dont even like taking her for walks anymore because she wipes out on her face so often on the street. i tried to find any information on here about other people having similar problems but didnt find much of anything.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ya she has been on prednosone for a little while now and we are looking to get her onto somthing else. another drug was mentioned to us a while ago when we were dealing with different foods but it wasnt available in canada yet. she is eating Acana Pacifica and we have tired about 3 other dog foods along with the bland human food diet over the last 2 years and nothing seemed to make any difference so we stuck with this one. i just have never heard of bulldogs being as clumsy as ours has been lately, she has always had trouble with linoleum in the house slipping on it but even that has gotten worse, and we dont even like taking her for walks anymore because she wipes out on her face so often on the street. i tried to find any information on here about other people having similar problems but didnt find much of anything.

Tyson is stumbly too, but that's recently due to his arthritis. Have you looked into Apoquel?? for the allergies? Also, how about some xrays to see if she has anything specific going on with her joints, etc. Definitely get her on a supplement for her joints, make sure it has Glucosamine, Chrondroitin, and MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am not a fan of prednisone... it is a last resort for me and my vet works with me to use alternatives. Allergies are brutal and as Jessica stated, Apoquel is something to talk with your vet about. Food -- have you tried grain free and a different protein for her? Acana is a good food so I hope you can find one in their line to work for her. Could her allergies be environmental... grass, pollen, etc? My girl had them bad, and I would wipe her face, belly and paws after coming in from being outside (cool wash cloth) to remove the allergens and lessen the itch.

As for the joints issues, Nu Vet Joint supplement is great or you can just use human grade Glucosamine/Chrondroitin

Clumsiness -- have the vets check for any neurological issues?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
For arthritis - They can do xrays to confirm. We have Tyson on Nujoint DS - edit, we also give him Tumeric which is a natural anti-inflammatory and we just started Adequan injections 2 weeks ago. I'm against having him on drugs if there are other options. So we choose injections for now, and possibly laser if needed. But Tyson is 9. I think maybe some supplements for her since she is young may help out.

Prednisone - I personally would not keep her on that. Its a strong med with alot of side effects and if used long term can affect liver, heart, and kidneys. I would ask your vet about Apoquel instead. That is alot safer, and you can save the Prednisone for an emergency case or bad breakout.

Back to allergies, what are you currently feeding her? I know you mentioned different diets, but what is she on now?

Jessica,

I had read in another post several months back that you gave TyTy tumeric. I researched it, bought some, and was so excited to see how it would work for Goob bc he is on Nujoint DS as well. I did what a few websites suggested and added only 1/8 of a teaspoon to his food to gradually get him used to it. HE WOULDN'T TOUCH IT! He curled his lips up to it and RAN AWAY FROM HIS BOWL. I couldn't believe it. I had to wash his bowl and gave him another serving without tumeric, and he slooooowly crept over to his dinner spot (like he didn't trust me) and finally ate dinner. I guess the supplement will have to be all we use for now:yes:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Jessica,

I had read in another post several months back that you gave TyTy tumeric. I researched it, bought some, and was so excited to see how it would work for Goob bc he is on Nujoint DS as well. I did what a few websites suggested and added only 1/8 of a teaspoon to his food to gradually get him used to it. HE WOULDN'T TOUCH IT! He curled his lips up to it and RAN AWAY FROM HIS BOWL. I couldn't believe it. I had to wash his bowl and gave him another serving without tumeric, and he slooooowly crept over to his dinner spot (like he didn't trust me) and finally ate dinner. I guess the supplement will have to be all we use for now:yes:

Hahaha. Spoiled babies. We don't do the powder though, I do the pills, and I put it with a small piece of anything and he'll gobble it up. Maybe the pill would work better?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hahaha. Spoiled babies. We don't do the powder though, I do the pills, and I put it with a small piece of anything and he'll gobble it up. Maybe the pill would work better?

Wow, good to know! I'll have to check it out. He would NEVER notice a pill!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Wow, good to know! I'll have to check it out. He would NEVER notice a pill!

Yeah, and its kinda gel coated, bc you could just break it and pour the powder out. But the gel coat makes it not have much flavor so mixed in with food, he should be good. Tyson eats that, his omega, and his probiotic pills everyday in his food, and never even realizes it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online